Pretty sure I do not get enough potassium. Wondering about supplements.

Theowl32

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2013
I have read in several places that we need to have 4600mgs of potassium every day. Now, that seems a bit ridiculous and maybe I am reading that wrong. Let me put it this way. One banana has about 360mgs of potassium. So, taking out my trusty calculator and doing some simple math, that is about 12 bananas A DAY.

I know there is potassium in other things like spinach etc. The point is that seems like A LOT of potassium. Cause any combination of anything in order to equal 4600mgs of potassium per day is A LOT of stuff.

I know I am probably reading all of that wrong, but does anyone you know get enough potassium per day? How?

Hell the supplements I have researched gives you about 200mgs of potassium per serving. How many freaking servings would that be to get to 4600 every day?

What am I missing?

I have read in several places that we need to have 4600mgs of potassium every day. Now, that seems a bit ridiculous and maybe I am reading that wrong. Let me put it this way. One banana has about 360mgs of potassium. So, taking out my trusty calculator and doing some simple math, that is about 12 bananas A DAY.

I know there is potassium in other things like spinach etc. The point is that seems like A LOT of potassium. Cause any combination of anything in order to equal 4600mgs of potassium per day is A LOT of stuff.

I know I am probably reading all of that wrong, but does anyone you know get enough potassium per day? How?

Hell the supplements I have researched gives you about 200mgs of potassium per serving. How many freaking servings would that be to get to 4600 every day?

What am I missing?
I don't know how they arrived at that number, somehow humans have survived without force feeding themselves potassium.

Daily Food Requirement for Potassium
Dietary Sources of Potassium

All meats contain potassium, do fish, such as, salmon and cod. For vegetarians, lima beans and soy products are also rich in potassium, so you can get some potassium through your protein consumption.

For fruits and vegetables, the array of possibilities is quite large. Broccoli, peas, potatoes and winter squash are all potassium rich, as are citrus fruits, bananas and apricots, especially dried apricots. Many nuts, and milk and yogurt are excellent sources of potassium.

Consumption of Potassium-Rich Foods
The 2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommends increasing your consumption of potassium-rich foods. Consumption recommendations for potassium-rich food groups for a 2,000 calorie per day diet include 3.5 ounces of whole grains per day; 1 1/2-cups of dark, leafy greens each week; 1 1/2 cups of legumes each week; and 3 cups of dairy. Meeting the recommendations for consumption of these items will help you achieve your daily potassium intake needs.

What am I missing?
If potassium gets low it can cause some really weird symptoms, like cramping muscles etc. I had my right hand cramp up so badly once I could hardly shift gears in the car. So I started taking the supplement like the doctor had told me to.
It did give me heartburn; most medicines do, though, so that's nothing earth shattering.
If you insist on doing it through diet, broccoli is also high in potassium, if I remember right. And don't some sports drinks include it? Maybe Gatorade or something would be better than eating a dozen bananas.

What am I missing?
If potassium gets low it can cause some really weird symptoms, like cramping muscles etc. I had my right hand cramp up so badly once I could hardly shift gears in the car. So I started taking the supplement like the doctor had told me to.
It did give me heartburn; most medicines do, though, so that's nothing earth shattering.
If you insist on doing it through diet, broccoli is also high in potassium, if I remember right. And don't some sports drinks include it? Maybe Gatorade or something would be better than eating a dozen bananas.
Yeah, true. My point is it has to be wrong about 4600mgs. Then again I cramp up too. I know I am not getting enough, but when I read 4600...I mean come on.

My point with the bananas is I am pretty sure bananas are one of those foods that are notorious sources for potassium. So, if I have to consume 12 of those every day to get to 4600, how much spinach (or any other thing) would I need to take every day?

Something seems wrong about that number. Oh, and since I also suffer from gerd, I really cannot eat bananas since that is one of those foods that trigger it.

I know it is extremely important for proper heart function. Two days on iv potassium (which burns) in hospital proved it to me at age 28. A pharmacist told me over the counter supplements do know good if you are getting way to low.

Swiss chard, acorn squash, and avocado are super high in potassium, per serving.

Pure coconut water is also pretty high in potassium.

What am I missing?

Why do you think your potassium level is low?
Cramping and all of the other weird symptoms. I know I don't get enough. I mean I drink this Superbeets stuff every day and I get 160mgs of potassium from that.

I just need to reading it wrong with the 4600 mgs.

Am I?

I know it is extremely important for proper heart function. Two days on iv potassium (which burns) in hospital proved it to me at age 28. A pharmacist told me over the counter supplements do know good if you are getting way to low.

Swiss chard, acorn squash, and avocado are super high in potassium, per serving.

What am I missing?
Yeah, but 4600? Is that right? I guess I should go consult a nutiritionist, but that is ridiculous. It would almost make no real difference to me what else contains high potassium. I mean to eat anything that is the equivalent of 12 bananas a day.

Like how much swiss chard would I need to eat? If it takes 12 bananas, how much swiss chard?

I read about those things too like avacado and acorn squash, but shit. Good Lord. 4600 mgs every day?

No, I know the recommendations are 4700 milligrams (mgs) per day.
Cramping and all of the other weird symptoms. I know I don't get enough. I mean I drink this Superbeets stuff every day and I get 160mgs of potassium from that.

Am I?

Am I?
Do you get that? How? Without turning into a blob? That is a lot of calories of something to get to 4700 mgs of potassium, even if it is acorn squash.

Am I?
If you are eating nuts, fruits, and vegetables every day, you are getting enough potassium. I would increase your intact of these foods and see what happens. The symptoms you are experiencing may not be caused by lack of potassium, but by something else.

You should be taking a high quality multivitamin every day. I take four high quality multivitamin each day, with each containing 49mg of potassium.

Here is a good article that gives you an idea of how to get your needed potassium per day-
How to Get a Full Daily Intake of Potassium

What am I missing?
Yeah, but 4600? Is that right? I guess I should go consult a nutiritionist, but that is ridiculous. It would almost make no real difference to me what else contains high potassium. I mean to eat anything that is the equivalent of 12 bananas a day.

Like how much swiss chard would I need to eat? If it takes 12 bananas, how much swiss chard?

I read about those things too like avacado and acorn squash, but shit. Good Lord. 4600 mgs every day?

I try to drink a few coconut waters per day. I also will sometimes get the one with pineapple juice, which has a decent amount of potassium as well, added. Strawberries also have a decent amount. Eating a well balanced meal of the different food groups really helps to get what you need.
Magnesium is also another important mineral, along with potassium, for heart health.

Am I?
Do you get that? How? Without turning into a blob? That is a lot of calories of something to get to 4700 mgs of potassium, even if it is acorn squash.

Not really, if you balance it right.

Am I?

What am I missing?

Nanners, v8, OJ.

What am I missing?

Nanners, v8, OJ.
Holy gerd acid reflux batman. :/

What am I missing?
Yeah, true. My point is it has to be wrong about 4600mgs. Then again I cramp up too. I know I am not getting enough, but when I read 4600...I mean come on.

My point with the bananas is I am pretty sure bananas are one of those foods that are notorious sources for potassium. So, if I have to consume 12 of those every day to get to 4600, how much spinach (or any other thing) would I need to take every day?

Something seems wrong about that number. Oh, and since I also suffer from gerd, I really cannot eat bananas since that is one of those foods that trigger it.

upload_2017-4-3_9-34-13.jpeg

I dry and chop up the excess spinach I raise then add it to my food dishes like spaghetti marinara and the like. I read that supposedly dried spinach retains it's nutritional value better than canning or freezing. So if you're looking for an alternate potassium source you might try that.

*****SMILE*****

:)

What am I missing?
pistachio-nut-pile1.jpeg

Pistachios. Highest potassium content (of all nuts) and if you eat a few helpings throughout the day and a banana in the morning you've met your daily requirement. 1 oz. of pistachios is about 300 mgs of potassium and you can easily eat several handfuls at a time and enjoy the taste. They are very good for you and delicious.

Protein powder is supposed to be high in potassium from what I've just read. Most weekday mornings I have a frozen banana/strawberry/protein powder smoothy with apple cider vinegar and flax seed. Via Vitamix.

Forum List

Back