President Trump & Joe Biden honor "Baseball's last hero" Roberto Clemente: " He was one of my all-time favorite players – Roberto had everything!"

• Banned
in Spanish, Clemente means "merciful", and that's the way he lived!

• Banned
Clemente's heroes were MLK and the FDR-inspired Luis Munoz Marin!

Clemente was an incredible BB player and a bit of a hypochondriac. His English was never very good, so the fans never got to know him other than seeing how he played. His final hit was his 3,000th - a line drive double. You couldn't have scripted it any better.

He died delivering needed food and supplies to hurricane victims in (I think it was) Nicaragua. Giving up your life in service to others is the definition of a "hero."

• Banned
El inolvidable astro del béisbol Roberto Clemente Walker es honrado hoy en las grandes ligas. Me uno a todos los boricuas y al mundo que hoy rinde tributo a esta gloria del deporte.

• Banned
the greatest team ever assembled: can you imagine Mays, Clemente, and Thurmond in the outfield and Orlando Cepeda just hanging around, a big kid stumbling all over himself because he was growing so fast

they were called "The Panic Squad"

• Banned
Roberto Clemente honored with Google Doodle

332547GoogleClementeB.jpg

• Banned
Clemente loved Westerns like The Lone Ranger, and would memorize lines from them in order to improve his English

Clemente was an incredible BB player and a bit of a hypochondriac. His English was never very good, so the fans never got to know him other than seeing how he played. His final hit was his 3,000th - a line drive double. You couldn't have scripted it any better.

He died delivering needed food and supplies to hurricane victims in (I think it was) Nicaragua. Giving up your life in service to others is the definition of a "hero."
He died in a plane crash in 1972 at the age of 38 delivering aid to Nicaragua, which had been struck by a devastating earthquake days before. He died making a difference.

on july 25, 1956 Clemente hit the first-and-only inside-the-park walk-off grand slam in MLB history

going...going...GONE!

Last edited:
What many people don't know is this: Roberto Clemente enlisted in the US Marine Corps Reserve after the 1958 and served Honorably until 1964 and was inducted into the Marine Corps Sports Hall of Fame in 2003

EhfF4OvWAAI5Ymn

Is his throwing arm well known? He threw out what seemed like dozens of runners trying to go from first to third on routine singles to right. Occasionally he would misfire and the ball would end up in the 5th row of seats along the third base line. In this situation the ballpark would explode in anticipation of his throw. Truly an electric situation.

My favorite team was in the American League and so in those days before inter-league play I hardly saw any of Clemente's baseball career. Still hearing of his death from that mercy mission plane crash came as quite a shock.

Forum List

Back