President Trump announces new tariffs: 25% for steel, 10% for aluminum

Of course these costs will get immediately passed on to consumers, which always happens whenever tariffs are raised.

not if they change sources to American manufacturers.

Easy way to avoid the tax.

Do you know why manufacturers buy imported steel?

It's because American steel is more expensive.

If these tariffs are passed, prices are going up on anything made with steel - and we as a country will be less competitive in the international markets.

Based on the way the trade deficit is always rising, to new and more absurd levels, we can't compete regardless.

The reason for that is we are a nation of consumers. Other countries are not. We have a much smaller savings rate than most nations.

Bend over rubes, the US doesn't have the capacity right now to produce steel, prices will be going up on consumer goods, the steel plants that were closed don't have working coke furnaces, you can't restart them

Who the hell would they hire anyway? Most of those that did work in the steel industry are old and retired or dead not to mention we're considered at full employment in the U.S.

I'm sure there are plenty of good men flipping burgers who would be willing to learn a better job.

Good, lord. So rather than putting a tariff on value-added products, finished goods, he taxes raw materials, thus ensuring that the economic impacts of the tariff flows through the entire supply chain. That's brilliant. NOT!!! It's flat-out stupid.

Effects of a Tariff: Large Country
90img29.gif

When a large importing country implements a tariff it will cause an increase in the price of the good on the domestic market and a decrease in the price in the rest of the world. But since Trump wants to impose the tariff on raw materials, it'll raise not only the price of steel and aluminum in the U.S., but also the price of everything made from that steel and aluminum.

As for who will bear the incidence of the tax/tariff, well, that depends on the elasticity of demand and the elasticity of supply for each given product class, and in some instances, each differentiable product.

6a00d83451688169e2013485ebb420970c-pi
Progressives know nothing about a good economy they just care about free shit

Should we allow other countries like communist China to dump steel in the U.S. killing jobs for American workers? That's what liberals in this thread are saying. If China dumping steel into the U.S. was hurting illegals the liberals would be in an uproar.

There is no evidence of that. Actually you are taking the liberal position. You are saying what liberals are saying.

Why is the US constantly having massive trade deficits, with nearly all of our partners?
Because we’re crazy rich and we want the rest of the world’s stuff

That's not why the EU subsidized Airbus, to the loss of thousands of very high tech, high paying jobs.

They couldn't compete, so they cheated and benefited their workers and their economies at the expense of ours.

I want those jobs back for America and Americans.

This was not the way Free Trade was supposed to work.

Of course these costs will get immediately passed on to consumers, which always happens whenever tariffs are raised.

not if they change sources to American manufacturers.

Easy way to avoid the tax.

Do you know why manufacturers buy imported steel?

It's because American steel is more expensive.

If these tariffs are passed, prices are going up on anything made with steel - and we as a country will be less competitive in the international markets.

Based on the way the trade deficit is always rising, to new and more absurd levels, we can't compete regardless.

The reason for that is we are a nation of consumers. Other countries are not. We have a much smaller savings rate than most nations.

Or maybe the fix is in.

Either way, if it does not benefit US, why are we doing it?

I'm not an economist, but I'll give you the small businessman's perspective. I have a trucking company. I can easily compete with other trucking companies that have equivalent costs to my own...that is all American companies AND all Canadian companies. But, you throw Mexican companies into the mix, now I am at a significant disadvantage...as a Mexican driver can work for about half of what an American or Canadian can live on, because the cost of living is lower in Mexico than the US and Canada.

In a business where a 5 cent per mile (cpm) discount makes a huge impact on freight contracts, and a Mexican company is getting a 15 cpm reduced labor rate, the Mexican company is actual making more profit than I am, even though they are charging less, and getting more contracts. You can see the eventual endgame...I either close my doors, or move my headquarters to Mexico and hire all Mexican drivers in order to compete.

And that is why we don't have a free market trucking industry and why Mexico was held to a 100 mile from Mexican border zone for 10 years after NAFTA was signed. Today, Mexican trucks and Canadian trucks can haul freight out of their respective countries into the U.S. and U.S. freight back to their respective countries.

This is why I understand the need for Tariffs. What we need is fair trade...and that means fair to the American worker, not just businesses. Democrat claim to be in favor of that...but for partisan reason, block attempts to level the playing field.

As long as American companies are forced to compete against a colossal wage disparity, high taxes, worker safety regulations, a litigious society and government bureaucracy, there is no way to compete against foreign companies other that for our own companies to move overseas.

We would be beyond foolish to retreat on worker safety, litigation is not going to be reduced in any meaningful way, government bureaucracy isn't going away...and unless Americans want to live in shanty towns and eat rice and beans, we can't reduce our cost of living.

So what, if not tariffs...fair tariffs that mitigate the higher costs American companies face...is the solution?

Serious responses only please...partisan hackery will be dismissed out of hand.

Should we allow other countries like communist China to dump steel in the U.S. killing jobs for American workers? That's what liberals in this thread are saying. If China dumping steel into the U.S. was hurting illegals the liberals would be in an uproar.
We have anti-dumping laws dickbrain.

What like our immigration laws? Come over here you won a Bennie Hill pat on the head :itsok:

Get back with us at the end of the year and again tell us how these tariffs are the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Killing American jobs is why you bunch of dummies lost the election.

There is no evidence of that. Actually you are taking the liberal position. You are saying what liberals are saying.

I see I struck a nerve, not surprising.

Good, lord. So rather than putting a tariff on value-added products, finished goods, he taxes raw materials, thus ensuring that the economic impacts of the tariff flows through the entire supply chain. That's brilliant. NOT!!! It's flat-out stupid.

When a large importing country implements a tariff it will cause an increase in the price of the good on the domestic market and a decrease in the price in the rest of the world. But since Trump wants to impose the tariff on raw materials, it'll raise not only the price of steel and aluminum in the U.S., but also the price of everything made from that steel and aluminum.

As for who will bear the incidence of the tax/tariff, well, that depends on the elasticity of demand and the elasticity of supply for each given product class, and in some instances, each differentiable product.

6a00d83451688169e2013485ebb420970c-pi

As typical, what you forgot to look at is how the policy compares to the alternative: taxing Americans. Typical of Trump haters to only look at the negatives without even noticing the positives and how the policy will generate revenue like you haven't seen before.

I would say, Trump's idea kicks the hell out of taxing Americans. The wall needs to be paid, and this is a brilliant way for getting Mexico to pay for it.

Great again...

Why is the US constantly having massive trade deficits, with nearly all of our partners?
Because we’re crazy rich and we want the rest of the world’s stuff

That's not why the EU subsidized Airbus, to the loss of thousands of very high tech, high paying jobs.

They couldn't compete, so they cheated and benefited their workers and their economies at the expense of ours.

I want those jobs back for America and Americans.

This was not the way Free Trade was supposed to work.

If I remember correctly Ryanair (one of Europe's largest airlines) ordered 100s of Boeings over the years which is US government backed

Ryanair orders 100 Boeing 737s
"For Boeing, in financial difficulties for the last quarter, 85% of the deal will be guaranteed by the US government."

These types of deals have continued for years... Ryanair runs an almost all new fleet.

Now here is the problem...

upload_2018-3-1_22-52-2.png

That is Germany and it is high end steel US imports which it has trouble producing themselves.... Look where china is...

The Limits of 'Made in America' Economics

"The E.U. has sworn to fight back if the Trump White House goes ahead and is reportedly already preparing measures, such as levies on American whiskey, rum, orange juice, potatoes, and tomatoes."

This was just stupid...

We bought up the rest of the world. That’s why there’s a trade imbalance. They’ve been our bitch for decades.

I live in the Rust Belt. We have not bought up the rest of the world.

THey have fucked US.

This is just a tax increase bud whether you live in the rust belt or east coast.

'The president is proposing a massive tax increase': Conservatives tee off on Trump for tariff move

The Free Traders conservative have been proven wrong by the history of the last 30 years.

You know I am 70 years old and I do not live in the past, I live for the future and right now the future does not look to bright if I am to higher prices for just about everything. To many of you oldster's like trump live in the 50's and 60's except for the tweeting. It's 2018 things have changed.

If you are that old, then you remember.

Was this the way Free Trade was supposed to work, ie we would always lose, and the working poor and middle class would never again advance economically?

Correll, your job at Fruit of the Loom underwear is not coming back, no matter what Trump does.

Forum List

Back