President Obama to give FDA New Guidelines

random3434

Jun 29, 2008
It's about time.

Obama: Food safety system is health 'hazard' - White House- msnbc.com

ASHINGTON - President Barack Obama says the nation's decades-old food safety system is a "hazard to public health" and in need of an overhaul, starting with the selection of a new head of the federal Food and Drug Administration.

Obama used his weekly radio and video address to announce the nomination of former New York City Health Commissioner Margaret Hamburg as FDA commissioner, and his choice of Baltimore Health Commissioner Joshua Sharfstein as her deputy.

The president also said he was creating a Food Safety Working Group to coordinate food safety laws throughout government and advise him on how to update them. Many of these laws, essential to safeguarding the public from disease, haven't been touched since they were written in the time of President Theodore Roosevelt, he said.

Long overdue. And they need some funding for inspectors. Also, it would be good to see an example made of the people that ordered the contaminated peanut products shipped. Something on the order of decades of hard prison time for manslaughter.

Long overdue. And they need some funding for inspectors. Also, it would be good to see an example made of the people that ordered the contaminated peanut products shipped. Something on the order of decades of hard prison time for manslaughter.

Yes, harsher penalties should be mandated.

Think about it. We, the American public, blindly buy our food, and eat it, not really knowing what exactly is "in" it, what has touched it, where it has been.

It's about time.

ASHINGTON - President Barack Obama says the nation's decades-old food safety system is a "hazard to public health" and in need of an overhaul, starting with the selection of a new head of the federal Food and Drug Administration.

Obama used his weekly radio and video address to announce the nomination of former New York City Health Commissioner Margaret Hamburg as FDA commissioner, and his choice of Baltimore Health Commissioner Joshua Sharfstein as her deputy.

The president also said he was creating a Food Safety Working Group to coordinate food safety laws throughout government and advise him on how to update them. Many of these laws, essential to safeguarding the public from disease, haven't been touched since they were written in the time of President Theodore Roosevelt, he said.

sounds like Commie regulation to me!

It's about time.

sounds like Commie regulation to me!

I heard he wants everything to now be stamped with 666, since he's the anit-Christ and all. :lol:

I heard he wants everything to now be stamped with 666, since he's the anit-Christ and all. :lol:

commie food inspectors....country of origin labeling.....food safety regulations......

what's next? A kremlin and poliburo??? :evil::evil:

this is why we NEED republicans! To stop this Marxist-Leninist-Obamaist crap!

Then a hard working mother who has little money to support her kids could just walk outside and buy her meat out of the back of some guys car! Imagine the savings!

Her choice, if that's what she wants to do. I don't hear the stories coming from all these diseases coming from unregulated farmer's markets but from processed foods that are already regulated by the FDA. Hell, the illegal drug market is totally unregulated, where are all the pot smokers that are poisoned or cocaine users that are dead because of this unregulated market?

I wish they'd abolish the FDA myself.

riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight...because the marketplace will keep suppliers from selling you meat with mad cow disease.

exactly why people who hate government should never run government.

Like my last post stated, where are the problems coming from with mad cow, the big ranchers already regulated or the small farmers with a few head. Why isn't the Amish community extinct if we need all this regulation? What about all the regulated peanut butter causing death and sickness and I haven't even got started on the drug issue.:cool:

It's about time.

He forgot to use the word "crisis", therefore it's not important.

I miss the good old days before government regulation when we used to eat our hamburgers rare and nobody ever got sick from it. Now we have all kinds of government regulation and and you can get salmonella from everything. Coincidence? Or effective government?

It's about time.

I miss the good old days before government regulation when we used to eat our hamburgers rare and nobody ever got sick from it. Now we have all kinds of government regulation and and you can get salmonella from everything. Coincidence? Or effective government?

I've never not eaten my hamburgers rare and I've never gotten sick from it. Whether eating out in a restaraunt or buying meat from the supermarket.

I've never not eaten my hamburgers rare and I've never gotten sick from it. Whether eating out in a restaraunt or buying meat from the supermarket.
then you are in violation of FDA health standards

btw, unless you've never eaten a burger from a restauraunt, that is also a lie

Last edited:

I'm curious what state you live in that still allows rare hamburgers to be served by a restaurant. Our choices are well done, or medium well done in my state and the state next door (I live right on the border).

After years and years of not properly funding or running FDA as it was intended, I'd say it's about time.

The Neo-con's appreciation for regulation free business anarchy has not served the public well in many arenas.

Food safety being one of the more obvious examples.

After years and years of not properly funding or running FDA as it was intended, I'd say it's about time.

The Neo-con's appreciation for regulation free business anarchy has not served the public well in many arenas.

Food safety being one of the more obvious examples.
sorry, but the NEOCONS are the ones closer to your way of thinking than mine
and please point out any FDA regulations Bush had canceled

I wish they'd abolish the FDA myself.

So they could abolish regulations on food? Yeah, great idea! Who needs regulation when it comes to feeding ourselves and our children???

You need the FDA to tell you what you can eat or what your children can eat? You know, things are regulated now and more people than ever are getting sick. Millions of people eat things each year that was prepared without being regulated, church groups that have dinners to raise money for charity, shrimp and crawfish boils down here in Louisiana put on by organizations to raise money, hunters eat game they have killed, fish out of private ponds, local Farmer's Markets etc. Where are all the news articles that show THESE groups are dying off or getting sick.:eusa_whistle:

Forum List

Back