Predfan vs Wild Hogs

Ok, got to the property right as the sky was lightening up. Went down a trail toward the first feeder. One of the guides took my buddy toward it, I continued down the trail with the other guide. I got only another 20 yards along the trail when he stopped me and pointed to a feeder that we could see about 5-6 pigs milling around. It was about 80 yards away. I had no place to rest the rifle, took a shot at that distance from standing and missed. After looking for blood without finding any, we went back to the trail toward the next tree stand and feeder. When we got close the guide said to me, you aren't going to be able to get in that tree stand. I thought he was commenting in my weight, but he meant that the hogs were already there. I crept closer and observed about a half dozen hogs milling about. I picked the biggest and tried to aim at him. Problem was he wouldn't stand still and he kept getting behind the other pigs. I looked at the second biggest and she was stationary. Aimed, shot, and the scattered. I thought I missed the pig for sure. We went up and didn't see and blood....again. Finally I saw what looked like a chunk of liver. It was. We found a very feint trail, and saw more blood. After about anothe 50 years of pushing through the underbrush, there was the sow lying in a small path. It was a gut shot.

Shooting offhand can be pretty tough. I recommend one of these,or one of the many others that are out there.
upload_2015-6-20_12-16-26.png

The sow ready to be butchered.

Good job!!! Pork in the grill now!!

It's going to be a while. Unfortunately it was a gut shot so the meat has to soak in icewater with vinegar in it for 3 days just in case anything from the gut came in contact with the meat. So by thursday for sure.

So what exactly are you going to do with the meat?
Sausage? Pork chops?

Haven't decided yet. I still have some casings so I could make sausage but therat is very lean and I don't care for lean sausage. I'll probably smoke it real good and then make pulled pork out of it.

It's going to be a while. Unfortunately it was a gut shot so the meat has to soak in icewater with vinegar in it for 3 days just in case anything from the gut came in contact with the meat. So by thursday for sure.

Sausage? Pork chops?

Haven't decided yet. I still have some casings so I could make sausage but therat is very lean and I don't care for lean sausage. I'll probably smoke it real good and then make pulled pork out of it.

Let me know how it comes out. I've never had much luck with em unless you BBQ em.
And next time try and find an early yearling(you may have gotten one based on it's size) The best way to be sure is to pick one that weighs in around 60 or 70 lbs.

Sausage? Pork chops?

Let me know how it comes out. I've never had much luck with em unless you BBQ em.
And next time try and find an early yearling(you may have gotten one based on it's size) The best way to be sure is to pick one that weighs in around 60 or 70 lbs.

I have been told a couple of times that pigs that size are the best eating. Makes me a little sad because I want to bring down bigger ones.

Sausage? Pork chops?

I have been told a couple of times that pigs that size are the best eating. Makes me a little sad because I want to bring down bigger ones.

Shoot the big ones for fun and to thin em out,and the little ones for eaten.

Sausage? Pork chops?

Shoot the big ones for fun and to thin em out,and the little ones for eaten.

Sounds like a solid plan.

Well, if it went down I hope it went good. Hogs are largely hyped, but now an again hunting them can get sporty. As far as their smarts go, they may be smart, but they are just as habitual as deer here in Texas. Lots of rain? Hunt them where acorns are, no rain hunt them where water is and year round you will always be able to sneak up on a feeder and find them at some point. I hunt them with a bow. Typically I'll have a 12 guage leaning on my tree. I have been using a crossbow lately and like that allot. Haven't had one run to far after sticking it.

Well, if it went down I hope it went good. Hogs are largely hyped, but now an again hunting them can get sporty. As far as their smarts go, they may be smart, but they are just as habitual as deer here in Texas. Lots of rain? Hunt them where acorns are, no rain hunt them where water is and year round you will always be able to sneak up on a feeder and find them at some point. I hunt them with a bow. Typically I'll have a 12 guage leaning on my tree. I have been using a crossbow lately and like that allot. Haven't had one run to far after sticking it.

It went well, I got one so there's that. I want to get better at it so that I don't have to recover the animal.

The ribs were not only lean but the maet was thinner than farm raised. On the other hand they were everything I expect from pork.

I cold smoked all of it for 8 hours, then I put the hams, shoulders, and loins in the freezer. I cooked the ribs low and slow then finished them off on the grill.

Yum!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    720.1 KB · Views: 81

It went well, I got one so there's that. I want to get better at it so that I don't have to recover the animal.

Yeah..gut shooting an animal causes all kinds of problems.
It makes the meat kinda sketchy and ya have to trail em all over hells creation.
Me and a buddy tracked a gut shot deer for miles through the East Texas woods. When we finally caught up to him he was several hundred yards out in lake Livingston.

It makes the meat kinda sketchy and ya have to trail em all over hells creation.
Me and a buddy tracked a gut shot deer for miles through the East Texas woods. When we finally caught up to him he was several hundred yards out in lake Livingston.

This sow went 50 yards. I was told to soak the meat for three days with vinegar. That seemed to do the trick because it was quite tasty.

This sow went 50 yards. I was told to soak the meat for three days with vinegar. That seemed to do the trick because it was quite tasty.

Yeah..the vinegar also tenderizes the meat and helps get rid of the blood which is a major cause of gamey tasting meat.
It's a good idea to give it a soak in salt water after the vinegar as well.

Forum List

Back