Post-Apocalyptic Survival - Alternative Tactics

Indeed. Dies the Fire deserves a special shout-out. In the Book, and series--those camo-wearing, survivalist types don't come off well at all. Most of them turn predator and are in turn..handled by the majority remaining. While the college town of Corvallis..fortifies itself and uses its stored knowledge to build a stable society.
Camo becomes a chancy choice of clothing..as anyone wearing it becomes suspect~
I got through about six of those, but migod, Sterling never stops! I finally did stop.

My favorite is the other side of the country, his Nantucket series, Island on the Sea of Time, which island is catapulted by forces unknown back to 1250 BC. Which is during the Trojan War. I've been to Nantucket so I can really imagine it. I've read the trilogy several times now.

We are basically 9 consecutive missed meals from anarchy & our supply chains (production-delivery) have been choked & kinked for a while now.

The oblivious scoff & proclaim this will never happen while the prudent prepare
Right, it can't happen here! I love it. We couldn't possibly have a Civil War. We couldn't possibly have a collapse of civilization. We couldn't possibly have a nuclear war. Why not? Ummmmmm, just because It Can't Happen Here!

People, it always HAS happened, sooner or later, to every society.

Another plus to the "Hunker down" plan is that I know the exact distance to the treeline in every direction. I can dial in accurate fire while the marauders are guessing.

And the bunker is not for living in until things get better. It is for retreating into as a last resort.

It is entirely within the realm of possibility that some great calamity may befall the Earth causing great social unrest and discord to the level where one must fight to survive. Maybe the most popular scenario to demonstrate this is the so-called "zombie apocalypse". But perhaps a more realistic situation is a global crash of financial markets whereby the dollar is without value. You cannot buy the things you need to survive (food, shelter, meds, etc...). Therefore, people start fighting over resources. Other possible scenarios include killer pandemics, massive international nuclear war, a massive meteor striking the Earth, etc...). Whatever the cause, mankind is plunged into a desperate state where he must take extraordinary steps to protect and sustain himself, his family, and others.

Survivalists have been foreseeing such an occurrence for decades. There's underground bunkers, food rations, plans to convert gas-operated vehicles to run off distilled alcohol, lots of guns and ammo, and all sorts of contingent plan. But despite the diversity, most if not all of these plans have one thing in common: They are all basically a "hunker down" and defend what we have strategy. There is some a validity to this. It is usually easier to defend a base than to overrun a base of operations. You expense less resources and energy in a defensive posture. It also appeases everybody's morality because it is peaceful save for righteous self-defensive actions.

But there is another way, and it is almost ALWAYS overlooked when looking at post-apocalyptic survival. That is, why hunker down at all? What's wrong with employing the strategy of being a marauder? Despite what I said in the foregoing paragraph, people will for the most part be mentally ill-equipped to deal with a survival situation. They probably will not be able to shoot straight. Do we REALLY believe "hunker-downers" will be able to defend their bases? REALLY? I know that there are middle aged men out there who think they are bad asses and can hold off the entire Chinese Army with their Palmetto Armory AK and .22 "survival rifle". The fact is, their ignorance and stupidity will get them killed early on in the downfall. Dudes talk big about this sort of thing. But most of them lack the mental fortitude to last long. Look at "Survivorman". He can last days at a time in desperate situations. BUT, he is not having to fight off marauders either.

I submit that once you go into a do-or-die scenario most rules fall by the wayside. At some point you are going to run out of food and sanity and either become a marauder, a slave, or a corpse. So why not just go into the apocalypse trained as a marauder in the first place? Forget hunkering down. Horde ammo, practice effectively using your guns, and bulk up on protein. You will need others, but carefully select only the ones you reasonably believe you can trust and count on in hairy situations. I figure a good band of marauders ought to consist of 15-20 people skilled at fighting.

You also need to consider what will be of value in the next world that can be used for currency. I suspect that ammo will definitely be like gold (9mm, 5.56, 7.62x39/51mm). Thus, learn to reload spent cartridges and shells. You will need them to invade and conquer, and they will be quite valuable for trade. Food will obviously be valuable. But as marauders we will not have time to be farmers. The move is to find some farmers and run a protection racket on them, making them pay with a large cut of their crop.

Finally, let me say that this last type of apocalyptic currency is going to seem controversial. I get it. But you have to understand that different times necessitate different expectations and moralities. Here goes: Pussy is going to be extremely valuable. If you can round up a stable of good, clean pussy and maintain it, then you may become the Warren Buffet of the apocalypse. Again, us marauders are running around doing shit. We do not have time to sit around playing pimp. But we can monetize it by applying a protection racket and eliminating competition. The pimps will then have to answer to us.

Honestly, you are only limited by your imaginations. These are uncharted waters for westerners. Such times will be hard and desperate. You are not going to last long in your stupid underground bunker. One day you are going to say "fuck it" and go to the surface for fresh air. They you get your throat slashed and lose everything you had. People are weak. They care about stupid shit today. They will be doomed in the apocalypse. Nobody is going to respect their stupid fucking pronouns or give them a "safe space" in which to be themselves. They will be tactically impotent and easy to overrun.

I am curious about what you will use for transportation in the post-SHTF world? Fuel supplies will be gone in a day or so.

The idea of a protection racket on farmers reminds me of the huge fallacy in many western movies. (I mean western as in cowboy, not western hemisphere)

Many movies or tv shows had gangs of bad guys taking over towns. Remember, this time period was shortly after the Civil War. Every person in the town has a gun (or guns) and knows how to use it. Plus they have the advantage of cover.

Most of those scenarios would end like things ended for James-Younger gang in Northfield Minnesota.

People are weak. They care about stupid shit today. They will be doomed in the apocalypse. Nobody is going to respect their stupid fucking pronouns or give them a "safe space" in which to be themselves. They will be tactically impotent and easy to overrun.

DING-DING-DING!!!

No more calls folks. We have a winner.

Makes me guess that the closer you are to a stack and pack city, the better off you will be because this ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ is exactly who most of your neighbors will be.

I am curious about what you will use for transportation in the post-SHTF world? Fuel supplies will be gone in a day or so.

Get a little scooter and convert the engine to run on ethanol, which is easy enough to make yourself. I live in the midst of about a million acres of corn, and although some of it is used for livestock feed, most of it is turned into ethanol.

Get a little scooter and convert the engine to run on ethanol, which is easy enough to make yourself. I live in the midst of about a million acres of corn, and although some of it is used for livestock feed, most of it is turned into ethanol.

I just had a mental image of marauders from Mad Max riding scooters! :laughing0301: Thank you for the laugh. I know what you meant, and it is a decent idea. But the initial mental image is hilarious.

DING-DING-DING!!!

No more calls folks. We have a winner.

Makes me guess that the closer you are to a stack and pack city, the better off you will be because this ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ is exactly who most of your neighbors will be.

The major cities will empty pretty quickly. With no more food being trucked in, they will be forced out to search for sustenance. And there they will die.

It is entirely within the realm of possibility that some great calamity may befall the Earth causing great social unrest and discord to the level where one must fight to survive. Maybe the most popular scenario to demonstrate this is the so-called "zombie apocalypse". But perhaps a more realistic situation is a global crash of financial markets whereby the dollar is without value. You cannot buy the things you need to survive (food, shelter, meds, etc...). Therefore, people start fighting over resources. Other possible scenarios include killer pandemics, massive international nuclear war, a massive meteor striking the Earth, etc...). Whatever the cause, mankind is plunged into a desperate state where he must take extraordinary steps to protect and sustain himself, his family, and others.

Survivalists have been foreseeing such an occurrence for decades. There's underground bunkers, food rations, plans to convert gas-operated vehicles to run off distilled alcohol, lots of guns and ammo, and all sorts of contingent plan. But despite the diversity, most if not all of these plans have one thing in common: They are all basically a "hunker down" and defend what we have strategy. There is some a validity to this. It is usually easier to defend a base than to overrun a base of operations. You expense less resources and energy in a defensive posture. It also appeases everybody's morality because it is peaceful save for righteous self-defensive actions.

But there is another way, and it is almost ALWAYS overlooked when looking at post-apocalyptic survival. That is, why hunker down at all? What's wrong with employing the strategy of being a marauder? Despite what I said in the foregoing paragraph, people will for the most part be mentally ill-equipped to deal with a survival situation. They probably will not be able to shoot straight. Do we REALLY believe "hunker-downers" will be able to defend their bases? REALLY? I know that there are middle aged men out there who think they are bad asses and can hold off the entire Chinese Army with their Palmetto Armory AK and .22 "survival rifle". The fact is, their ignorance and stupidity will get them killed early on in the downfall. Dudes talk big about this sort of thing. But most of them lack the mental fortitude to last long. Look at "Survivorman". He can last days at a time in desperate situations. BUT, he is not having to fight off marauders either.

I submit that once you go into a do-or-die scenario most rules fall by the wayside. At some point you are going to run out of food and sanity and either become a marauder, a slave, or a corpse. So why not just go into the apocalypse trained as a marauder in the first place? Forget hunkering down. Horde ammo, practice effectively using your guns, and bulk up on protein. You will need others, but carefully select only the ones you reasonably believe you can trust and count on in hairy situations. I figure a good band of marauders ought to consist of 15-20 people skilled at fighting.

You also need to consider what will be of value in the next world that can be used for currency. I suspect that ammo will definitely be like gold (9mm, 5.56, 7.62x39/51mm). Thus, learn to reload spent cartridges and shells. You will need them to invade and conquer, and they will be quite valuable for trade. Food will obviously be valuable. But as marauders we will not have time to be farmers. The move is to find some farmers and run a protection racket on them, making them pay with a large cut of their crop.

Finally, let me say that this last type of apocalyptic currency is going to seem controversial. I get it. But you have to understand that different times necessitate different expectations and moralities. Here goes: Pussy is going to be extremely valuable. If you can round up a stable of good, clean pussy and maintain it, then you may become the Warren Buffet of the apocalypse. Again, us marauders are running around doing shit. We do not have time to sit around playing pimp. But we can monetize it by applying a protection racket and eliminating competition. The pimps will then have to answer to us.

Honestly, you are only limited by your imaginations. These are uncharted waters for westerners. Such times will be hard and desperate. You are not going to last long in your stupid underground bunker. One day you are going to say "fuck it" and go to the surface for fresh air. They you get your throat slashed and lose everything you had. People are weak. They care about stupid shit today. They will be doomed in the apocalypse. Nobody is going to respect their stupid fucking pronouns or give them a "safe space" in which to be themselves. They will be tactically impotent and easy to overrun.
I remember discussing a major catastrophe such as an all out nuclear war with an engineer at work.

He was saying he would be fine as he lived way out in the country. I told him his main problem would be people like me coming from the city, armed to the teeth.

The look on his face was priceless.

I remember discussing a major catastrophe such as an all out nuclear war with an engineer at work.

He was saying he would be fine as he lived way out in the country. I told him his main problem would be people like me coming from the city, armed to the teeth.

The look on his face was priceless.

Well, even thought we don't need it yet, here in my heavily armed town of just over 1100 people, we have a phone tree.

This is one of the better ideas. The main drawback I see is carrying capacity. Being post-SHTF marauders implies a nomadic life. An adult on a scooter would want to carry spare fuel, weapons & ammo, food, and temporary shelter. If you are going to shoot a lot, as marauders certainly would plan on, you need to be able to reload your own ammo. That increases the load signifcantly. Maybe some sort of scooter modified into a 3 wheeler would work.

Another plus to the "Hunker down" plan is that I know the exact distance to the treeline in every direction. I can dial in accurate fire while the marauders are guessing.

And the bunker is not for living in until things get better. It is for retreating into as a last resort.
LOL!! You will be one of those guys who drop early.

This is one of the better ideas. The main drawback I see is carrying capacity. Being post-SHTF marauders implies a nomadic life. An adult on a scooter would want to carry spare fuel, weapons & ammo, food, and temporary shelter. If you are going to shoot a lot, as marauders certainly would plan on, you need to be able to reload your own ammo. That increases the load signifcantly. Maybe some sort of scooter modified into a 3 wheeler would work.

Great idea!

Does anyone know if a water distiller can be converted to distill ETOH?

Yeah..one good ambush and the marauders are just another campfire story~

Especially since the marauders are coming into unknown land, while the "hunker downers" know every inch of ground.

Dogs make a very effective alarm system. I see putting the marauders down and salvaging all their stuff.

In a real SHTF scenario the 9 meal rule will take effect & even the law abiding guys are going to get desperate if they haven't prepared.
They may be capable of unthinkable things once they realize their families could starve.

We are basically 9 consecutive missed meals from anarchy & our supply chains (production-delivery) have been choked & kinked for a while now.

The oblivious scoff & proclaim this will never happen while the prudent prepare
a democrat government is worse than a zombie apocalypse and smells worse

Forum List

Back