Ported 9mm Doubletap derringer

It doesn't impress me. Too much trouble to reload. Insert, snap off, shoot, repeat. I like my revolver even though it is more bulky. I WOULD like to get one with a clip though. Easy slide in, ready to go, multiple rounds, eject empty clip, insert another one.

Really looking at one of these. $219 locally. Available in 45acp as well. What do you think?

You have to be able to reload quickly - which you cannot do with a derringer. And the range of a derringer is limited. Even with a good bullet such as 38 - 357 - 45 Colt and others.....velocity and energy will not be good past 20 or thirty feet past the barrel.

I like a 9mm+P bullet for open areas & anti personnel. With almost .357 ballistics the 9mm +P is flat shooting ; such at malls and parking lots. And a 40 caliber for barriers, vehicles, "built up areas". Each caliber has a purpose and reason.

You may be in the open, or have to protect those in the open - such as a parking lot, open area / corridor of a mall....and have to throw a few rounds in the bad guys direction to make them duck, or pin them down - this is known as cover fire. Shooting at the bad guys, even though you cannot hit them - but to "pin them down" so others can make it to safety, cover or concealment.

You may have multiple assailants or bad guys.....and if they have submachine guns - AK 47s or some other high capacity rifle or sub gun.....you are out of luck with a derringer. And again....range is limited.

I recommend a primary concealed carry handgun be accurate out to fifty yards. Belly guns & backups ( .380 - .32..ect ) are alright ; but a single only concealed carry gun had better be able to hit a target at 50 yards.

Do like I do......save for what you want. You will be thankful, and happier in the end.

H&K USP compact are EXCELLENT guns. I had one at one time - in 45 ACP and could hit pop cans with it...on a log at 60 yards.

Sig Sauer P229. Another good gun. If you shoot 9mm shoot +P ammo. You can shoot +P ammo in Sigs according to the frequently asked questions on Sig-Sauers Website.

Glock 19 or Glock 23 ( both same size but 19 is 9mm ; 23 is .40 caliber ). A good compact gun that Navy SEALs and the US Marine Corp just went to. On the internet sel sites - you can get these used in the high $300.00 to about $525.00.

1911 .45 caliber Officer Models ( 4" barrel ) are good guns with an inside the pants holster.

Ruger SP-101 handguns. +P .38 Special is an excellent defensive load and Bill Ruger did right by the SP-101 handgun.

DONT COMPROMISE on a handgun. Your life, or the life of others may depend on it. So the only suggestion I can make is to save up for what you want, and get a good handgun.

Sig P229 = 9mm - 40 caliber - .357 Sig

upload_2016-1-5_22-25-11.jpeg

H&K USP Compact = 9mm - 40 caliber - .357 Sig

Glock 19 = 9mm

Ruger SP-101

A 5 shot - .38 caliber "J Frame" handgun.

Best of luck to you.

Shadow 355

It doesn't impress me. Too much trouble to reload. Insert, snap off, shoot, repeat. I like my revolver even though it is more bulky. I WOULD like to get one with a clip though. Easy slide in, ready to go, multiple rounds, eject empty clip, insert another one.

Pssssst......it's called a magazine.
Not trying to be an asshole just trying to save you from sounding ill informed.

I think there are way to many micro pistols out there that hold more ammo for me to consider a two shot derringer.

Yeah.

North American Arms is one of them.

Shadow 355

Yep.
If you were to ace one of those barrels and widen the grip just slightly you could have 4 or 5 rounds of .45 with one in the pipe.
And when you consider the misses even by a seasoned pro under stress two rounds just doesnt cut it unless you use it as a belly gun.
And personally I would rather stay a bit farther away if possible.

Yeah, can't argue with any of that...very, very good advice, all of it.

But I've got all that stuff, 9mm compact, 357 snubbie and a NAA mini-mag. But for $219, being light and compact, I figured I'd carry it alone or with my mini-mag in the summer.

Daves guns 1.png

I think there are way to many micro pistols out there that hold more ammo for me to consider a two shot derringer.
The only advantage of a derringer is concealment. Even the smallest micro-pistol is comparatively difficult to conceal, especially in summer.

Aaah contrair .....
upload_2016-1-5_22-22-25.png

Little Ruger with a custom trigger and laser...and it'll fit in my shirt pocket.

But I've got all that stuff, 9mm compact, 357 snubbie and a NAA mini-mag. But for $219, being light and compact, I figured I'd carry it alone or with my mini-mag in the summer.

View attachment 58967

Nice group..:)

Thanks.

I really like that LCP.

Is your LCP a 380 or 9mm?

.380 ...or the mini 9mm as it's sometimes called.
The 9mm is the LC9

Last edited:

View attachment 58967

Thanks.

I really like that LCP.

The 9mm is the LC9

Very nice. I assume you like it. Slide bite an issue? Looks designed to avoid it, but it is so small, had to ask.

View attachment 58967

Thanks.

I really like that LCP.

The 9mm is the LC9

Very nice. I assume you like it. Slide bite an issue? Looks designed to avoid it, but it is so small, had to ask.

Not at all surprising enough.
And for a such a small pistol it's amazingly accurate.
Six inch plates are easy at 50ft. with the open sights.

Forum List

Back