Pop can mortar.

Shawnee_b

Platinum Member
Dec 8, 2019
South Central KY
Full size folks. Pop can or beer can, fill it full of sand. 1 capfull or 80gr blackpowder (FF) and you can send it 100 yards. 3 capfulls sends it into orbit! Nice throaty sound :)

Made from a mobile home axle. Took the wheel stuff off to the spindle, put on a plat would swivel. 1 inch square stock, all thread and the rest I made like cranks. Adjustable windage and elevation of course. And folds for easy transportation to fun events.

S08cWzE.jpg
d1iCkh4.jpg

Full size folks. Pop can or beer can, fill it full of sand. 1 capfull or 80gr blackpowder (FF) and you can send it 100 yards. 3 capfulls sends it into orbit! Nice throaty sound :)

Made from a mobile home axle. Took the wheel stuff off to the spindle, put on a plat would swivel. 1 inch square stock, all thread and the rest I made like cranks. Adjustable windage and elevation of course. And folds for easy transportation to fun events.

S08cWzE.jpg
d1iCkh4.jpg

This thread is worthless without video...:04:

S08cWzE.jpg
d1iCkh4.jpg

Those are pretty cool! With all the cheap or free bowling balls around here, I thought of building one of these...

S08cWzE.jpg
d1iCkh4.jpg
Cool! Have you tried to make fireworks?

S08cWzE.jpg
d1iCkh4.jpg

This thread is worthless without video...:04:

Sorry, sold it early 2000's :)

Actually the mortar and cracker cannon photos were from an old Sony Mavica some graphic artists grew out of. It was about 1 meg pix and over 600$ It used floppy discs. No video then.

Those are pretty cool! With all the cheap or free bowling balls around here, I thought of building one of these...

Oh yes, those are wicked cool. They also make "coehorn mortars" use black powder and fire bowling balls. Have competitions too. :)

Oh yes :) Had a friend licensed in Maine to do exhibition fireworks. He had modified flash powder was wicked stuff. Made M80 with it, 10X as loud.

Flash powder is wicked stuff. When I was stationed at Ft. Benning back in the 70's, I found a dud artillery simulator. I cut it open and like a dumbass, lit the core with a match.

I still have a small visible spot in my right eye where the flash burned a hole in my retina. Guess I should have just scraped off a small chunk and lit that instead.

Another time I walked through the artillery and mortar impact area. There were unexploded rounds laying everywhere, some dating back to WW2. Again like a dumbass, I picked up one of the 81mm mortar rounds and threw it over a hill. It didn't go off though.

Oh yes :) Had a friend licensed in Maine to do exhibition fireworks. He had modified flash powder was wicked stuff. Made M80 with it, 10X as loud.

Flash powder is wicked stuff. When I was stationed at Ft. Benning back in the 70's, I found a dud artillery simulator. I cut it open and like a dumbass, lit the core with a match.

I still have a small visible spot in my right eye where the flash burned a hole in my retina. Guess I should have just scraped off a small chunk and lit that instead.

Another time I walked through the artillery and mortar impact area. There were unexploded rounds laying everywhere, some dating back to WW2. Again like a dumbass, I picked up one of the 81mm mortar rounds and threw it over a hill. It didn't go off though.

LOL...I did the same with an aerial burst firework as a kid.
Put the contents into an empty shoe polish container and set it on the coffee table.
It took a bit to get it to light up but when it did it was spectacular!!!!
Then I had to explain the burn ring on the coffee table to my mother.

S08cWzE.jpg
d1iCkh4.jpg

Back in my day , we took soda cans made of tin, used duct tape together and with lighter fluid launched tennis balls about 1000 ft up. If you wanted a flaming tennis ball, you used gasoline, but that was somewhat more of a risk and if the pressure got too much the cans would blow apart.....

S08cWzE.jpg
d1iCkh4.jpg

They ain't got a shot when cw2 boogaloo breaks
3lybbp.jpg

97cfe9533ce82536.png

Yes it is. He was licensed, very into it and knew the mods, legal too. I don't recall but maybe some powdered magnesium? Don't know that is pretty volatile. He did warn severely about even handling this. Damn what a boom.

They ain't got a shot when cw2 boogaloo breaks
View attachment 300022
View attachment 300023

O, that be cool. That sten pic you had along with the dualie was awesome. When I was an 07ffl class2 sot I could build anything with a single page form. Had a sten mk3 underway but had to destroy when I gave up my lic and retired. Favorite? A Polish PMKMS underfolder AK, rock and roll of course and 7.63x39 was $100 a case 1000 then. :)

Yes it is. He was licensed, very into it and knew the mods, legal too. I don't recall but maybe some powdered magnesium? Don't know that is pretty volatile. He did warn severely about even handling this. Damn what a boom.

Probably flash powder and powdered magnesium. That sounds about right. I have a 12" by 8" plate of magnesium sitting outside the garage . I like to shave off some of it and light it up sometimes, for shits and giggles.

God bless our mothers... She never ratted me out the time I scarred up the damn kitchen table tearing apart a railroad fuzee… That table never seen the light of day again... Always had a table cloth on it from then on...

calvin.gif

God bless our mothers... She never ratted me out the time I scarred up the damn kitchen table tearing apart a railroad fuzee… That table never seen the light of day again... Always had a table cloth on it from then on...

calvin.gif

Was that one of those little square red things they put on railroad tracks, that go off and signals the engineer? I had a couple of those awhile back. You could open them up, cut off a little piece, and hit it with a hammer for a bang. Tried shooting one once but it didn't go off.

calvin.gif

Yup mine was pretty good about stuff I did. Flash powder in the basement, shoot 44 cap and ball down there, even some herb occasionally. Say something, yeah sometimes but pretty good. Usually it was a wait till your father comes home. Sub sailor, joined 1943 at 15. On the 3rd most productive sub in WW2, pretty cool Dad but he had a good smack when it was due.

That's gotta be what it was then, mag. Was wicked powder. Mag was willie pete wasn't it?

No, Willie Pete was white phosphorus. The artillery simulators where just flash-bangs.

Oh yea phosphorous, thank you I was confused with the two. That was the unstable one I'm Vietnam era, just no in country. Air defense command, Interceptors.

Forum List

Back