"Poor" Families shelling out $4.2 million for cell phone storage

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
Many of these kids can't afford lunch, but they can pay a dollar a day to store their cell phones.

The city’s ban on cellphones in schools is taking an amazing $4.2 million a year out of kids’ pockets, a Post analysis has found.

The students — who attend the nearly 90 high schools and middle schools with permanent metal detectors — pay $1 a day to store their phones either in stores or in trucks that park around the buildings.

The cottage industry has become so profitable, it rakes in $22,800 a day from some of the city’s poorest youngsters, whose families would rather shell out the money than risk their children’s safety.

Read more: EXCLUSIVE: Businesses make $4.2M off students by storing their cellphones during school hours - NYPOST.com

This is one reason why the poor get poorer.

actually the poor are not all that poor

A Poor Definition of Poverty

snip

The government's own survey data shows that in 2005, the average poor household lived in a house or apartment equipped with air conditioning and cable television. The family had a car -- and a third of the poor have at least two cars.

For entertainment, the average poor household enjoyed two color TVs, a DVD player and a VCR. If children were in the home (especially boys), the family had a video game system such as Xbox or PlayStation.

A microwave, refrigerator, oven and stove were all in the kitchen of the average poor household. Other conveniences included clothes washer and dryer, ceiling fans, cordless phone and coffee maker.

The home of this average poor family also was in good repair and not overcrowded, according to government data. In fact, the typical poor American had more living space than the average European. (That's average European, not average poor European.)

Not only was the average poor family able to obtain necessary medical care, but when asked most families said they had enough money in the past year to meet all essential needs.

By the family's own report, it wasn't hungry. In fact, the average intake of protein, vitamins and minerals by poor children is indistinguishable from that of kids in the upper middle class. In most cases, it's well above

PS

by this definition, I fall into the poverty category

Last edited:
It is entirely possible to live lives of relative luxury being poor. I've done it! The main problem with being poor in today's America is the crushing boredom poverty brings when everything is provided. The poor have money to spend, but not needing to provide for themselves, the money goes on entertainment and anything that numbs their minds to the passage of unending boring hours. Games, texting, beer and pot are the most popular.

Yeah. I'd like to know how many of those parents would be willing to spend 5 dollars a year on a library card for their kid. Or a calculator.

having your kid have a cell phone is a very good way to know what your kids are doing folks.

Its a parents best tool.

Those who have not parented in this age dont understand this

Baloney. Personally I think cell phones have made our kids lives MORE dangerous. They say they are more addicting than nicotine, and I am certain that they interfere with learning.

It's amazing how many of us actually survived 12 years of school without them. :dunno:

a parent can tell where a kid is when you call them guys.

pretend all you want they are a very cost effective way to know more about your kids

the MR kids I teach, the girls, had a lot of drama with the cell phones the past 3 years.

They would text each other and call each other a bitch or stupid or so and so doesn't like you.

One of the parents showed up on another parent's doorstep to threaten the parent. There were calls from parent to parent over it. Not civilized calls either.

You would think the parents would take away the cell phone, right? No

I even got some of the blame for it, :whip:

Baloney. Personally I think cell phones have made our kids lives MORE dangerous. They say they are more addicting than nicotine, and I am certain that they interfere with learning.

It's amazing how many of us actually survived 12 years of school without them. :dunno:

o here we go....if chanel doesnt have it....you dont need it....have you ever considered how full of shit you are?

you are just a loud mouth fuck like your governor

actually the poor are not all that poor

A Poor Definition of Poverty

snip

The government's own survey data shows that in 2005, the average poor household lived in a house or apartment equipped with air conditioning and cable television. The family had a car -- and a third of the poor have at least two cars.

For entertainment, the average poor household enjoyed two color TVs, a DVD player and a VCR. If children were in the home (especially boys), the family had a video game system such as Xbox or PlayStation.

A microwave, refrigerator, oven and stove were all in the kitchen of the average poor household. Other conveniences included clothes washer and dryer, ceiling fans, cordless phone and coffee maker.

The home of this average poor family also was in good repair and not overcrowded, according to government data. In fact, the typical poor American had more living space than the average European. (That's average European, not average poor European.)

Not only was the average poor family able to obtain necessary medical care, but when asked most families said they had enough money in the past year to meet all essential needs.

By the family's own report, it wasn't hungry. In fact, the average intake of protein, vitamins and minerals by poor children is indistinguishable from that of kids in the upper middle class. In most cases, it's well above

PS

by this definition, I fall into the poverty category
hmmm, at one time the poor did not have bathtubs in their home, and did not have running water, and their homes were not insulated, and there was no electricity in them.....

Are YOU actually trying to say that the measure of being poor doesn't change and move... with all the inventions that become 'standards' in society?

I can understand not having them during class...but why can't the kids keep their phones in their own lockers instead of paying to have them stored in a truck during school hours?

Forum List

Back