"Poor" Families shelling out $4.2 million for cell phone storage

Exactly. And if they can't comply with that rule, the school should confiscate the phone, and the parents should take them away.

It amazes me that the so-called bleeding hearts think exploiting the poor at $5 a week per kid is "empathy". But I've never been able to comprehend moral relativism.

I can understand not having them during class...but why can't the kids keep their phones in their own lockers instead of paying to have them stored in a truck during school hours?

Im sure they sneak them into class.

sometimes dealing with these matters is harder than it seems.

I think they should have to put them in a visable spot in the room after turning them off.

then they can have them while they walk to the next class.

They should be clearly marked to identify who owns the phone.

Theft is likely a problem as well as using them when they are supposed to be learning.

If you are a parent you can even get gps put on your kids phone so you can see where the phone is physically.

Imagine being able to tell where your kid is while you work three jobs to feed them.

it make parenting easier..

Your on break and you look at your phone to see your kid is in english class like hes supposed to be.

Baloney. Personally I think cell phones have made our kids lives MORE dangerous. They say they are more addicting than nicotine, and I am certain that they interfere with learning.

It's amazing how many of us actually survived 12 years of school without them. :dunno:

Add kindergarten and my college years, and it was 17.

Yeah. I'd like to know how many of those parents would be willing to spend 5 dollars a year on a library card for their kid. Or a calculator.

Or $5 to get an ID so we can have voter ID laws.
not to be all negative, but that's a "poll" tax and unconstitutional....;) there is a difference...

I think if it is the parents who believe their children would be more safe, with a cell phone, then this is the parent's decision to make, and NOT the governments, imho. some parents or teachers may disagree, but it's not the other parents or teacher's decision to make, as far as I am concerned.

p.s. And I still do not have a cell phone of my own...when I worked 10 years ago, I had one, but since I became a homemaker, I really haven't needed one....though I will admit, that there were a few times last winter, out driving in a snowstorm, that I wished I had one! :eek:

actually the poor are not all that poor

A Poor Definition of Poverty

snip

The government's own survey data shows that in 2005, the average poor household lived in a house or apartment equipped with air conditioning and cable television. The family had a car -- and a third of the poor have at least two cars.

For entertainment, the average poor household enjoyed two color TVs, a DVD player and a VCR. If children were in the home (especially boys), the family had a video game system such as Xbox or PlayStation.

A microwave, refrigerator, oven and stove were all in the kitchen of the average poor household. Other conveniences included clothes washer and dryer, ceiling fans, cordless phone and coffee maker.

The home of this average poor family also was in good repair and not overcrowded, according to government data. In fact, the typical poor American had more living space than the average European. (That's average European, not average poor European.)

Not only was the average poor family able to obtain necessary medical care, but when asked most families said they had enough money in the past year to meet all essential needs.

By the family's own report, it wasn't hungry. In fact, the average intake of protein, vitamins and minerals by poor children is indistinguishable from that of kids in the upper middle class. In most cases, it's well above

PS

by this definition, I fall into the poverty category
hmmm, at one time the poor did not have bathtubs in their home, and did not have running water, and their homes were not insulated, and there was no electricity in them.....

Are YOU actually trying to say that the measure of being poor doesn't change and move... with all the inventions that become 'standards' in society?

I stated that by that definition I'm in poverty or not far above the poverty line.

I also did without a lot of those luxury items most of my life. Somehow I survived.

I guess the bottom line for me is that the "poor' in the US are not all that poor.

Ever been to eastern Europe?

Baloney. Personally I think cell phones have made our kids lives MORE dangerous. They say they are more addicting than nicotine, and I am certain that they interfere with learning.

It's amazing how many of us actually survived 12 years of school without them. :dunno:

Add kindergarten and my college years, and it was 17.

Ha ha. My husband insisted I get a "car phone" for emergencies when I went to grad school 80 miles away. I don't think I used it once. Two years of commuting with two babies at home and no one died. A miracle!

Exactly. And if they can't comply with that rule, the school should confiscate the phone, and the parents should take them away.

It amazes me that the so-called bleeding hearts think exploiting the poor at $5 a week per kid is "empathy". But I've never been able to comprehend moral relativism.

several years ago I confiiscated a cell phone from a kid that was being disruptive in class using his cell phone.

I gave him the chance to put it away. He refused.
I told him to give it to me. He refused.
I called security and they took it from him and sent the phone to the front office. Once there the parent has to come and get it.

The mom came into school and bitched at me for taking the poor kids phone from him After all his dad gave it to him as a present don't you know.

It was my fault.

Last edited:

snip

The government's own survey data shows that in 2005, the average poor household lived in a house or apartment equipped with air conditioning and cable television. The family had a car -- and a third of the poor have at least two cars.

For entertainment, the average poor household enjoyed two color TVs, a DVD player and a VCR. If children were in the home (especially boys), the family had a video game system such as Xbox or PlayStation.

A microwave, refrigerator, oven and stove were all in the kitchen of the average poor household. Other conveniences included clothes washer and dryer, ceiling fans, cordless phone and coffee maker.

The home of this average poor family also was in good repair and not overcrowded, according to government data. In fact, the typical poor American had more living space than the average European. (That's average European, not average poor European.)

Not only was the average poor family able to obtain necessary medical care, but when asked most families said they had enough money in the past year to meet all essential needs.

By the family's own report, it wasn't hungry. In fact, the average intake of protein, vitamins and minerals by poor children is indistinguishable from that of kids in the upper middle class. In most cases, it's well above

PS

hmmm, at one time the poor did not have bathtubs in their home, and did not have running water, and their homes were not insulated, and there was no electricity in them.....

Are YOU actually trying to say that the measure of being poor doesn't change and move... with all the inventions that become 'standards' in society?

I stated that by that definition I'm in poverty or not far above the poverty line.

I also did without a lot of those luxury items most of my life. Somehow I survived.

I guess the bottom line for me is that the "poor' in the US are not all that poor.

and the people called 'the rich' in those countries you mention, aren't all that rich either...may not even be meeting the middle class standard in our country... it's all relative to the individual country Squeeze.

Last edited:
By this point, most schools have given up in the cell phones war.

Parents objected so much when phones out in classrooms were taken to the office to only be released to the parents phsyically coming in to get them, now students are simply told to put them away when used during class.

Administrators with no balls seems to be the norm. In right-to-work states these people can fire you on the spot with no reason. The teaching profession has become a sad joke..

That is what happens in a world where half the country trashes the work of teachers as part of their election plan

snip

PS

At one time it was electricity that was considered a luxury and something the poorest should not have or pay for....

And at one time it was running water that the poor should not have or be able to pay for....

And at another time it was a flushing toilet in the house....the poor did not and according to some, should not have that, if they are poor....

then it was a bicycle...the poor should not have a bicycle.....only the middle class family kid and above should own a bicycle....

Then it was a refrigerator in the home of the poor....they should not have a refrigerator....

then it was a telephone in the home, the poor should not have a telephone in their homes, only the middle class and above should have a phone in their homes...

then it was tv....the poor should not be able to have tv in their homes, that should be only for the middle class and above....

times change and contrary to what you may think, those changes fall upon us all, from poor to middle to the wealthiest....we are not stagnant.

I grew up poor for most of my life, no tv in the house until I was 10 years old, but I had a school bus to take me to school...

My Dad grew up poor and he had no tv, and he had to walk 5 miles to school every day...(if you believe his story) doesn't make him any less poor....he was poor for his time, and I was poor when very young, for mine.

By this point, most schools have given up in the cell phones war.

Parents objected so much when phones out in classrooms were taken to the office to only be released to the parents phsyically coming in to get them, now students are simply told to put them away when used during class.

Administrators with no balls seems to be the norm. In right-to-work states these people can fire you on the spot with no reason. The teaching profession has become a sad joke..

I teach in a right to work state. That means no unions. They can't fire me on the spot without cause, but they can make up a story if they want.

The problem is that the parents have too much power over the teachers. I have been bullied, verbally abused, slandered ,given orders and generally treated like a galley slave.

At one time it was electricity that was considered a luxury and something the poorest should not have or pay for....

And at one time it was running water that the poor should not have or be able to pay for....

And at another time it was a flushing toilet in the house....the poor did not and according to some, should not have that, if they are poor....
then it was a bicycle...the poor should not have a bicycle.....only the middle class family kid and above should own a bicycle....

Then it was a refrigerator in the home of the poor....they should not have a refrigerator....
then it was a telephone in the home, the poor should not have a telephone in their homes, only the middle class and above should have a phone in their homes...

then it was tv....the poor should not be able to have tv in their homes, that should be only for the middle class and above....
times change and contrary to what you may think, those changes fall upon us all, from poor to middle to the wealthiest....we are not stagnant.

I grew up poor for most of my life, no tv in the house until I was 10 years old, but I had a school bus to take me to school...

My Dad grew up poor and he had no tv, and he had to walk 5 miles to school every day...(if you believe his story) doesn't make him any less poor....he was poor for his time, and I was poor when very young, for mine.

now you are making things up

no, no I'm not Squeeze (box)....I'm just pointing out that what is considered to be poor changes and keeps up with the times and things that were at one time objectionable for the poor to have became acceptable, and the other 'newest things' took their place....

for my age group, it was a tv the poor shouldn't be able to own or a small transistor radio, for my dad's time it was a Radio in the home, or a phonograph....now it's a cell phone, next a smart phone, next an ebook reader....a kindle, a laptop, cable tv, nexflix, computer games....society advances and those advancements trickle down, generation after generation...

no, no I'm not Squeeze (box)....I'm just pointing out that what is considered to be poor changes and keeps up with the times and things that were at one time objectionable for the poor to have became acceptable, and the other 'newest things' took their place....

for my age group, it was a tv the poor shouldn't be able to own or a small transistor radio, for my dad's time it was a Radio in the home, or a phonograph....now it's a cell phone, next a smart phone, next an ebook reader....a kindle, a laptop, cable tv, nexflix, computer games....society advances and those advancements trickle down, generation after generation...

can you direct us to any laws proitibg the poor from owning those things?

if you have the money you can own it is what I can remember

the point is, if you can afford those things don't whine about how bad you have it

The school lunch program cost tax payers $10.8 Billion in FY 2010. If they can have the luxuries we have discussed, they they can't fix lunch for their children is really beyond me.

And don't tell me they aren't bright enough to figure out a decent lunch. All they have to do is download an app.

Last edited:
If these youngster are so poor, why do they have cell phones in the first place? If they're so poor, and yet magically have cell phones, why do they bring them to school where they have to pay for storage?

Many of these kids can't afford lunch, but they can pay a dollar a day to store their cell phones.

The city’s ban on cellphones in schools is taking an amazing $4.2 million a year out of kids’ pockets, a Post analysis has found.

The students — who attend the nearly 90 high schools and middle schools with permanent metal detectors — pay $1 a day to store their phones either in stores or in trucks that park around the buildings.

The cottage industry has become so profitable, it rakes in $22,800 a day from some of the city’s poorest youngsters, whose families would rather shell out the money than risk their children’s safety.

Read more: EXCLUSIVE: Businesses make $4.2M off students by storing their cellphones during school hours - NYPOST.com

This is one reason why the poor get poorer.

Having a cell phone is a safety issue. They aren't allowed to have the phones un school.

But you already knew that

I seriously doubt if the kids got these phones for safety sake. Let's check the phone usage and see how many calls went to friends and how many calls went to mom or dad.

New Topics

Forum List

Back