Polygamy

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
My own belief is that anything that takes place between consenting adults is their business. I haven't watched much of the so-called "reality" shows about multiple wives but what I have seen is that there are a lot of illegitimate children caught in the middle and I wonder just what their future is likely to be.

Then there are the true nutters like these men -
10 Creepy Polygamous Prophets - Listverse

Obviously, since it is not legal, polygamous "marriages" are not really marriages at all.

So, what do people here think? Would it be better for both the women and the children if polygamy were made legal?

Thoughts?

My own belief is that anything that takes place between consenting adults is their business. I haven't watched much of the so-called "reality" shows about multiple wives but what I have seen is that there are a lot of illegitimate children caught in the middle and I wonder just what their future is likely to be.

Obviously, since it is not legal, polygamous "marriages" are not really marriages at all.

So, what do people here think? Would it be better for both the women and the children if polygamy were made legal?

Thoughts?

if marriages between two men must be considered marriages, why not a marriage between four men and one woman.......or four men and seven women?....I wonder though...will we have to revise SocSec to provide for multiple widow's benefits?......

Thoughts?

Wow---that's pretty ancient thinking there-----how many unmarried hetero couples are out there with " illegitimate " children ?

Thoughts?

It is because of immorality that God made marriage between one man and one woman.

Thoughts?

if marriages between two men must be considered marriages, why not a marriage between four men and one woman.......or four men and seven women?....I wonder though...will we have to revise SocSec to provide for multiple widow's benefits?......

It likely wouldn't exist in the way we know it.

Thoughts?
Actually FYI most polygamist societies end up being rampant with child abuse and child brides. Polygamy and people minding their own business sounds good on paper but it is always used as a tool to control and persecute women.

Last edited:
I have no problem with it

No harm, no foul

Thoughts?

It is because of immorality that God made marriage between one man and one woman.

1 Corinthians 7:2 But since sexual immorality is occurring, each man should have sexual relations with his own wife, and each woman with her own husband.

Id rather see a man marry multiple women and take care of his children than see a man knock up multiple women and run away from his responsibilities to take care of them.

Though one would be preferable than the other, both should be avoided.

Thoughts?
Actually FYI most polygamist societies end up being rampant with child abuse and child brides. Polygamy and people minding their own business sounds good on paper but it is always used as a tool to control and persecute women.

If the women and children could be protected, I would have no problem with any combination. To me, that's the most important consideration.

As for the question of "legitimacy", must because we don't see the consequences in our every day lives, does not meant there aren't any.

We often see posters telling us they know that god wants "one man one woman" but apparently have no concern for the consequences for bastard children.

Id rather see a man marry multiple women and take care of his children than see a man knock up multiple women and run away from his responsibilities to take care of them.

Though one would be preferable than the other, both should be avoided.

Except that the man is married only to one woman. The rest are FWB.

Thoughts?

Polygamists are no more "nutty" than men "marrying" men. If there's gonna be the one then I guess there should also be the other. Then, consenting fathers should marry consenting daughters and consenting men can marry consenting goats. Why not ... it's none of our business if they were all born with screwed up "genes." That's the argument isn't it -- a "gay gene?" Well perhaps you haven't heard but there's a polygamist gene, an incest gene, a NAMBLA gene, a goat lover gene, and a plastic dolly gene. It's enough to make the inhabitants of Sodom and Gomorrah blush.

Last edited:

Thoughts?

If the women and children could be protected, I would have no problem with any combination. To me, that's the most important consideration.

As for the question of "legitimacy", must because we don't see the consequences in our every day lives, does not meant there aren't any.

We often see posters telling us they know that god wants "one man one woman" but apparently have no concern for the consequences for bastard children.

Legal consequences ?

The one's on tv are more geared towards the extreme branch of Mormonism.

I don't have a problem with polygamy. I'm not interested, but, you know, whatever. I have a problem with the cult specifically because you are looking at coercive elements here. I do support the two partner legal relationship just because it's about division of property.

I've long wondered why the government has any say in what types of marriage exist. Gay, straight, polygamy or polyandry should all be allowed as long as all parties involved sign on the dotted line.

However Roudy makes a great point and we do see child brides and child abuse in societies that allow polygamy, whether it's the extreme Mormon or Islam.

Thoughts?

Except of course in the beginning he did no such thing.

I don't have a problem with polygamy. I'm not interested, but, you know, whatever. I have a problem with the cult specifically because you are looking at coercive elements here. I do support the two partner legal relationship just because it's about division of property.

The Mormon Religion does not condone support or accept polygamy. And has not since at least 1890.

The Mormon Religion does not condone support or accept polygamy. And has not since at least 1890.

I am aware of this. And, yet, the FLDS exists. Hence, extreme branch.

I've long wondered why the government has any say in what types of marriage exist. Gay, straight, polygamy or polyandry should all be allowed as long as all parties involved sign on the dotted line.

However Roudy makes a great point and we do see child brides and child abuse in societies that allow polygamy, whether it's the extreme Mormon or Islam.

I think you will see more areas of abuse for several reasons.
Selfishness will abound and be visible in marriages.
In a typical marriage, the woman puts the husband in debt. When there is more than one party involved, that becomes dangerous.
Marriage will become a form of prostitution when people shack up to be taken care of instead of contribute towards the marriage.
If you think two people fighting is bad, try seven on one.
It should not be permitted for the reason of abuse.

Thoughts?

Polygamists are no more "nutty" then men "marrying" men. If there's gonna be the one then I guess there should also be the other. Then, consenting fathers should marry consenting daughters and consenting men can marry consenting goats. Why not ... it's none of our business if they were all born with screwed up "genes." That's the argument isn't it -- a "gay gene?" Well perhaps you haven't heard but there's a polygamist gene, an incest gene, a NAMBLA gene, a goat lover gene, and a plastic dolly gene. It's enough to make the inhabitants of Sodom and Gomorrah blush.

You are one sick little twitch.

Forum List

Back