Polygamy

Polygamy, mulitple choice, public poll

• Multiple husbands, one wife

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This is not about Mitt Romney.

We've accidentally found a show on TV called "Sister Wives" and ...

How do you feel about polygamy?

Include consideration of multiple husband/one wife, as well as multiple wives/one husband, consenting adults.

Why do you feel that way?

I have been watching Sister Wives, on Sunday nights at 9 PT for about two years ( or since it began ). It is the only reality show I watch and I love it and all the family members, I have come to know and believe in. They really do seem very real and very happy. They have their challenges and that Kody Brown is one exceptional man, who loves life and his 4 wives, the first one only, sanctioned by the state. The next 3 have had weddings but not legal.

I do not judge this lifestyle. They are of the Mormon Fundamentalist church which is different from the Mormon church. Kody explained the difference as being similar to that of Roman Catholics and Methodists. He and his wives were also reared in polyamist families and are accustomed to their way of life and all but one seems happy and content, preferring it to traditional marriages. They have 17 kids, I think, maybe one more with the arrival of Solomon, the new baby by the 4th wife.

Kody and the rest of the family have said, that never will their way of life be accepted by the majority, for reasons that are obvious to many of us...

I wish them all the best. They are upbeat, fun and lively. :D

mudwhistle, your posts are always very cowardly, just name calling, no content.

The poll doesn't ask what various religions believe. Maybe you would like to read it again.

Just goes to show you. "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."

I see Mudwhistle as one of our most talented, informed and experienced posters on this board. In addtion to the above, he possesss the rarest form of intelligence.....common sense. :D

:cheers2:

Include consideration of multiple husband/one wife, as well as multiple wives/one husband, consenting adults.

Marriage is a contract. So long as the parties are consenting adults, they should be allowed to live anyway they please. It really is no one elses' business.

Incest is not a hazard of polygamy or monogamy.

Incest is a hazard of predatory parents and siblings and other family members.

Last edited:
I'd say that polygamy is much more moral than the habit of some men to knock women up and run away from responsibility.

The scriptures only allow it when God commands it though. I have no intention of challenging that.

Jesus said that Marriage is between one man and one woman and band the practice of Polygamy.

Once same sex marriage is legal, it will be impossible to deny this lifestyle "choice".

Jesus said that Marriage is between one man and one woman and band the practice of Polygamy.

Thats fine for Christians. But why is it illegal by our laws?

Western values were originally Christian values

Some values were, but most were values shared by almost every civilization. This argument always sidesteps the US Constitution.

The fact is that we, as a nation, do not base our laws solely on religious dogma.

Once same sex marriage is legal, it will be impossible to deny this lifestyle "choice".

Polygamy is often brought up as a "slippery slope" argument in discussions of gay marriage.

The simple fact is that there are +/- 1,400 benefits bestowed on married people by the gov't. I'm not discussing the religious implications of marriage, just the legal ones concerning secular law.

If no one is harmed by the marriage, and all involved are consenting adults, why does the federal (or state and local) gov't not recognize it?

Polygamy is often brought up as a "slippery slope" argument in discussions of gay marriage.

The simple fact is that there are +/- 1,400 benefits bestowed on married people by the gov't. I'm not discussing the religious implications of marriage, just the legal ones concerning secular law.

If no one is harmed by the marriage, and all involved are consenting adults, why does the federal (or state and local) gov't not recognize it?

Ah, and therein lies the question. What people do with their own lives is really none of our business; if consenting adults want to enter into a polygamist (or same sex) marriage, marry their pet, or any of a host of other behaviors, they should be free to do so. I wonder, however, what public policy goals are served by recognizing (and thereby supporting) those choices? The public policy of encouraging stable two-parent households to prevent the government from having to support the children of unstable unions and the overwhelming evidence of two-parent households as the most benevolent and supportive for children (note: the future of the country) is apparent. What public policy is served in recognizing polygamy?

Ah, and therein lies the question. What people do with their own lives is really none of our business; if consenting adults want to enter into a polygamist (or same sex) marriage, marry their pet, or any of a host of other behaviors, they should be free to do so. I wonder, however, what public policy goals are served by recognizing (and thereby supporting) those choices? The public policy of encouraging stable two-parent households to prevent the government from having to support the children of unstable unions and the overwhelming evidence of two-parent households as the most benevolent and supportive for children (note: the future of the country) is apparent. What public policy is served in recognizing polygamy?

First of all, when you agree with me you should leave the "pet" thing out. I specifically said consenting adults. Unless you can determine informed consent from an animal, your comment about pets is a joke.

Gay marriages would provide the same stable, two-parent household for their children. Whether their children are from previous relationships, artificial insemination, or adoption doesn't matter.

In a polygamous family situation, the family has either more bread winners or more care-givers for the children. I see no difference between a 3 parent family and a 2 parent family where your argument is concerned.

Fine. Don't really see any reason that I would stick my nose in someone else's life or choices. Hell, I wish I could AFFORD 2 wives. How does anyone afford that :p

I do not see why polygamy is illegal.
Strictly speaking, I don't think they are illegal per say. More like they are not recognized. There is a difference. As far as I know you can't be thrown in jail just because you have a few extra partners around the house or underwent a few extra marriage ceremonies. There may be some laws on the books but there are also laws against adultery. They are not applicable anymore.

. . . What people do with their own lives is really none of our business; if consenting adults want to enter into a polygamist (or same sex) marriage, marry their pet, or any of a host of other behaviors, they should be free to do so. I wonder, however, what public policy goals are served by recognizing (and thereby supporting) those choices?

False conclusion. Marriage is a contractual obligation entered into by humans who are entitled to enter into such a contractual obligation..

Hint, BillyV, pets are not humans.

I think polygamy should be legalized between consenting ADULTS over age 18. I would not say under 18, because there is still an incredible amount of pressure on young women in some of these fundamentalist religious movements to choose the polygamist lifestyle and marry men two or three times their age.

I lived in Utah for 10 years and knew quite a few polygamist women and people who'd grown up in polyg families. For most, it's a choice. However, legalizing it would hopefully have the consequence of bringing it out of the shadows and into the mainstream for tax and child protection purposes.

Forum List

Back