Pollution, deforestation, global warming are not problems

ItsFairmont

Apr 2, 2009
They are symptoms.

The true culprit: Overpopulation.

Why are so many people so reluctant to discuss population control? I'm not talking about war, disease, bioterrorism, forced abortion or any kind of yadayadacide. I'm talking about madated birth control by age or lottery.

If each couple had two kids, the population of the world would shrink. One child for each adult is fair (two per couple). Not all those kids will reach adulthood, and not all will have children if they do.

Therefore, the population will decrease if we have two kids per couple or less.

And as far as "be fruitful and multiply," isn't it fair to say we can put a check mark next to that one and say "mission accomplished"?

What do you think?

Correct, but the symptoms have now (or will) become problems. IMO we are at, or very close to the max capacity this planet can tolerate with our current lifestyles and technology.

Good topic of discussion.

The Malthusian predictions have not come true in developed nations because birth rates dramatically dropped, but in most of the rest of the world overpopulation remains a threat to themselves and the planet.

World population has about doubled since 1970; it's approaching 7 billion.

With the doubling of populations has come the doubling of consumption and pollution. More than doubling because of the growth of industrialization.

I agree, there was a lot of talk about it in the 70s, but it has almost become politically incorrect in recent decades.

I think folks are reluctant to discuss it beause of issues both right and left. On the left there is the concern over the cultural stigma of criticizing the culture and norms of other countries. From the right its from the religious side that is still in the "be fruitful and multiple mode" and that does everything in its power to keep abortions (and to a lesser extent, birth control) about of practice.

It will lead to continued North South tension.

Correct, but the symptoms have now (or will) become problems. IMO we are at, or very close to the max capacity this planet can tolerate with our current lifestyles and technology.

Our lifestyles are as conservative as possible, which was my point in another similar thread. So, how do we fix the real problem? Yes, I know it's overpopulation, almost all our major problems can actually be connected to this as symptoms. We have become too concerned with curing the symptom and not the disease, well, if you want to cure "clmate change" the cure the disease and stop changing the symptoms.

I say licenses for having children, non-biased testing and requirements. It would limit a large number of people who have children. Since most medical contraception methods can now be reversed there are many ways to enforce it. If people would only realize how dire this problem is, perhaps then they will learn to accept this need more. If not then we're just screwed.

There's the issue of liberty. Neither you, nor I, nor any government should be telling anybody how many children they can have.

Yes, it is true that there is some point at which population growth cannot be sustained. When that happens, the population will crash. We are not going to destroy the ability of the planet to sustain life.

If you want to try to convince people not to have more than two kids, fine. But don't even think about going down the road of having government put child bearing quotas on people.

No worries--wars and pandemics will solve this "problem".

Thus why I never complain about wars, however the pandemics can be traced to our immune systems and being over medicated, as well as the excessive use of sanitizers. Different topic to get into too much detail on that part. Needless to say, medical science is keeping up TOO well to allow those to be equalizers anymore.

Thus why I never complain about wars, however the pandemics can be traced to our immune systems and being over medicated, as well as the excessive use of sanitizers. Different topic to get into too much detail on that part. Needless to say, medical science is keeping up TOO well to allow those to be equalizers anymore.

In your dreams--they can just barely keep ahead of the next flu mutations.

Meh ... the flu is something that's suppose to be here, and it's not nearly as dangerous as they want you to believe. Influenza has been around longer than we have and with all the medications to ease or protect us from the symptoms it doesn't matter anyway.

Meh ... the flu is something that's suppose to be here, and it's not nearly as dangerous as they want you to believe. Influenza has been around longer than we have and with all the medications to ease or protect us from the symptoms it doesn't matter anyway.

how many were killed in the 1918 Spansih influenza outbreak ?

Sometimes even the common cold can cause disasters in areas where hygiene isn't practiced, usually because of complications of preexisting conditions. The flu itself has never actually been the direct result of any deaths in modern history, every one of them have been caused by complications.

Sometimes even the common cold can cause disasters in areas where hygiene isn't practiced, usually because of complications of preexisting conditions. The flu itself has never actually been the direct result of any deaths in modern history, every one of them have been caused by complications.

pure sophistry--shooo

pure sophistry--shooo

Hmm? What's that?

Anyhow, overpopulation is a serious problem that is being avoided by too many. It's the disease and excess pollution is the symptom.

pure sophistry--shooo

Hmm? What's that?

Anyhow, overpopulation is a serious problem that is being avoided by too many. It's the disease and excess pollution is the symptom.

look it up----SOPHISTRY. and repeating bullshit doesn't make it true.

pure sophistry--shooo

Hmm? What's that?

Meh, that wasn't an actual question, would it help if I instead said "Did you hear something?"

What bullshit, you really think we are not overpopulated? How so, and please show your work so I can tear it to shreds point by point.

Hmm? What's that?

Meh, that wasn't an actual question, would it help if I instead said "Did you hear something?"

What bullshit, you really think we are not overpopulated? How so, and please show your work so I can tear it to shreds point by point.

Jesus Christ, woman. Stop putting words in my mouth. I never said we weren't overpopulated either. You really need to learn how to debate an issue.

OK, I hate all the traffic jams as much as the next person, but I will say it. "We are not overpopulated."

We just lack the foresight on how to get along with more people. A lot of times we just do the wrong things. Other times the wisdom escapes us. If I remember the hype from the 70's correctly we should all now be doomed. It seems rather than an overpopulation, global cooling, global warming, meteorites wiping us out, etc. etc. problems we have a doom and gloom problem fed by hyperactive imaginations. Or..perhaps it is a plain old guilt issue.

OK, I hate all the traffic jams as much as the next person, but I will say it. "We are not overpopulated."

We just lack the foresight on how to get along with more people. A lot of times we just do the wrong things. Other times the wisdom escapes us. If I remember the hype from the 70's correctly we should all now be doomed. It seems rather than an overpopulation, global cooling, global warming, meteorites wiping us out, etc. etc. problems we have a doom and gloom problem fed by hyperactive imaginations. Or..perhaps it is a plain old guilt issue.

Case in point of not wanting to look at the facts ...

Not based on traffic jams at all, it's a fact based biological sciences. When a population exceeds its natural limit then the species will behave in self destructive manners, period. It's only on of the facts that point to us being over populated, there are many others, just no one wants to solve the problem, just the symptoms. Here's the thing, due to medical science we are living longer and fewer people die from what use to. Because of living comforts ans safety our life spans have increased as well. All this is driven by a fear of death in the majority.

Forum List

Back