Pollution, deforestation, global warming are not problems

Discussion in 'Environment' started by ItsFairmont, Apr 23, 2009.

1. ItsFairmont

ItsFairmont Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +49
    They are symptoms.

The true culprit: Overpopulation.

Why are so many people so reluctant to discuss population control? I'm not talking about war, disease, bioterrorism, forced abortion or any kind of yadayadacide. I'm talking about madated birth control by age or lottery.

If each couple had two kids, the population of the world would shrink. One child for each adult is fair (two per couple). Not all those kids will reach adulthood, and not all will have children if they do.

Therefore, the population will decrease if we have two kids per couple or less.

And as far as "be fruitful and multiply," isn't it fair to say we can put a check mark next to that one and say "mission accomplished"?

What do you think?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. k2skier

k2skier Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Correct, but the symptoms have now (or will) become problems. IMO we are at, or very close to the max capacity this planet can tolerate with our current lifestyles and technology.

3. Iriemon

Iriemon VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Good topic of discussion.

The Malthusian predictions have not come true in developed nations because birth rates dramatically dropped, but in most of the rest of the world overpopulation remains a threat to themselves and the planet.

World population has about doubled since 1970; it's approaching 7 billion.

With the doubling of populations has come the doubling of consumption and pollution. More than doubling because of the growth of industrialization.

I agree, there was a lot of talk about it in the 70s, but it has almost become politically incorrect in recent decades.

I think folks are reluctant to discuss it beause of issues both right and left. On the left there is the concern over the cultural stigma of criticizing the culture and norms of other countries. From the right its from the religious side that is still in the "be fruitful and multiple mode" and that does everything in its power to keep abortions (and to a lesser extent, birth control) about of practice.

It will lead to continued North South tension.

4. KittenKoder

KittenKoder Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    Our lifestyles are as conservative as possible, which was my point in another similar thread. So, how do we fix the real problem? Yes, I know it's overpopulation, almost all our major problems can actually be connected to this as symptoms. We have become too concerned with curing the symptom and not the disease, well, if you want to cure "clmate change" the cure the disease and stop changing the symptoms.

5. KittenKoder

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    I say licenses for having children, non-biased testing and requirements. It would limit a large number of people who have children. Since most medical contraception methods can now be reversed there are many ways to enforce it. If people would only realize how dire this problem is, perhaps then they will learn to accept this need more. If not then we're just screwed.

6. JohnStOnge

JohnStOnge Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +42
    There's the issue of liberty. Neither you, nor I, nor any government should be telling anybody how many children they can have.

Yes, it is true that there is some point at which population growth cannot be sustained. When that happens, the population will crash. We are not going to destroy the ability of the planet to sustain life.

If you want to try to convince people not to have more than two kids, fine. But don't even think about going down the road of having government put child bearing quotas on people.

7. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    No worries--wars and pandemics will solve this "problem".

8. KittenKoder

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    Thus why I never complain about wars, however the pandemics can be traced to our immune systems and being over medicated, as well as the excessive use of sanitizers. Different topic to get into too much detail on that part. Needless to say, medical science is keeping up TOO well to allow those to be equalizers anymore.

9. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    In your dreams--they can just barely keep ahead of the next flu mutations.

10. del

del BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,885
    i plan on doing my part by dying.