POLLS--The Caller I.D Effect vs. the Bradley Effect

oreo

Gold Member
Sep 15, 2008
rocky mountains
You know I have to laugh at these polls. REASON: Most of us have caller I.D. on our telephones. I even have mine set up to read from my T.V when it is on. I can tell who is calling, & by golly, I'll bet most of you are like me. If you don't know who it is, or what it is--you don't answer that phone call.

My husband & I also do not believe it's anyone's business on whom or what issues we're voting for. So even if we mistakingly pick up that phone, & someone starts asking us questions, we hang up anyway. Who wants to be bothered after a long day's work.

We already saw this happen during the 04 Presidential campaign. On election day--"exit polling data" was showing John Kerry running away with the election. All the polling "experts" were stunned. Well as we know it turns out Bush won by 4 million votes. Why & how did this happen? It appears that there were many walking out of their polling districts who refused to say who they voted for. They apparently like me, thought (It's none of your business.)

So I believe this election--if it turns on Barack Obama will be more due to the Caller I.D. effect versus the Bradley effect. I don't believe there are that many people in the United States that just won't vote for a black man or woman for that matter.

What I find is really hillarious--is the text message polls showing who won the debates. I don't know anyone over 40 that knows how to text message, including myself, & who really cares to learn--LOL.

Because of the caller I.D. effect, I believe the polling data are way out of WACK--regardless of whom is shown ahead.

THe polls are out of whack. They are used by Dems who want to convince everyone their guys are winning, and there's no point in anyone else voting.

THe people who poll are largely democrats. Period.

Hey Oreo,

Interesting idea.

Do you think exit polls are more reliable?

Do you think electronic machines with no paper trails are more reliable?

You know I have to laugh at these polls. REASON: Most of us have caller I.D. on our telephones. I even have mine set up to read from my T.V when it is on. I can tell who is calling, & by golly, I'll bet most of you are like me. If you don't know who it is, or what it is--you don't answer that phone call.

My husband & I also do not believe it's anyone's business on whom or what issues we're voting for. So even if we mistakingly pick up that phone, & someone starts asking us questions, we hang up anyway. Who wants to be bothered after a long day's work.

We already saw this happen during the 04 Presidential campaign. On election day--"exit polling data" was showing John Kerry running away with the election. All the polling "experts" were stunned. Well as we know it turns out Bush won by 4 million votes. Why & how did this happen? It appears that there were many walking out of their polling districts who refused to say who they voted for. They apparently like me, thought (It's none of your business.)

So I believe this election--if it turns on Barack Obama will be more due to the Caller I.D. effect versus the Bradley effect. I don't believe there are that many people in the United States that just won't vote for a black man or woman for that matter.

What I find is really hillarious--is the text message polls showing who won the debates. I don't know anyone over 40 that knows how to text message, including myself, & who really cares to learn--LOL.

Because of the caller I.D. effect, I believe the polling data are way out of WACK--regardless of whom is shown ahead.

Because only Republicans have caller ID? This is a stupid theory because, although it might be true that caller ID makes people not pick up, there is no reason to think that it would skew the results at all. After all, its not like only Republicans or Democrats, the old/young/whatever have caller ID.

Right, but it will still skew the results, just like cell phones could skew the results.

The polls will certainly be skewed in favor of Obama because his supporters are much more 'rabid' than McCain's. By how much, I have no idea.

I suspect a lot of those polled are actually kids who pick up the phone while mom and dad are having cocktails. I know the ones who respond with the little web-camera bits on the news are all kids. I doubt if they are even old enough to vote.

You don't have to stfu as Ravi Rabid suggested. Some of us like to discuss stuff with you. Thanks for the post.

Hope you've had your shots!

I cling to my guns and religion, so I should be okay.

Here are some examples of typical Obama supporters:

rabidDog.jpg
PH2008012602038.jpg
hitler%20youth.jpg

That's funny xsited, I'm particular to the pic you had with the people holding the Nazi flag, because as you know all Obama supporters are Nazi's.

You did another great job xsited, you make us Obama voters look so low class and the Republicans look so sophisticated.

Your job is done here.

Obama supporters support many of the same ideals that drew people to Hitler.

THe idea that there's a lesser class of people. In Hitler's day, those people were of various races or religions. Today the lesser class of people are the poor or uneducated.

The idea that for the bigger good, this lesser class should be monitored, controlled, euthanised and aborted (for their own good, of course).

The idea that the lesser class is not capable of making decisions on their own, thus should be fed information incrementally and selectively, to make it more palatable for them, and to encourage them to trust their betters to think for them, and to make it more palatable for them to give up their rights to those same betters.

Obama supporters support many of the same ideals that drew people to Hitler.

THe idea that there's a lesser class of people. In Hitler's day, those people were of various races or religions. Today the lesser class of people are the poor or uneducated.

The idea that for the bigger good, this lesser class should be monitored, controlled, euthanised and aborted (for their own good, of course).

The idea that the lesser class is not capable of making decisions on their own, thus should be fed information incrementally and selectively, to make it more palatable for them, and to encourage them to trust their betters to think for them, and to make it more palatable for them to give up their rights to those same betters.

Godwins law. You lose. Go home.

That's funny xsited, I'm particular to the pic you had with the people holding the Nazi flag, because as you know all Obama supporters are Nazi's.

You did another great job xsited, you make us Obama voters look so low class and the Republicans look so sophisticated.

Your job is done here.

Obviously my job isn't done here if you think I make the Republicans look sophisticated. I suppose, however, that it is easy to make fun of Obama supporters because they provide so much ammunition. They either do this on purpose for comedy relief or it's in the Kool-Aid they drink.

Great site:

Is Barack Obama the Messiah?

Forum List

Back