Poll: Which way did you vote?

Did you vote mostly FOR a candidate, or TO BLOCK the other candidate?

• I didn't like Trump but I voted FOR him to stop Hillary

Votes: 19 63.3%
  • I didn't like Clinton but I voted FOR her to stop Trump

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • I could have accepted Clinton but voted FOR Trump because I believe in him

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • I could have accepted Trump but voted FOR Clinton because I believe in her.

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters

Pogo

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2012
Fennario
Since these were popularly cited as "the two most despised candidates ever", whether that's true or not, did you cast a positive vote for a choice on his/her own merits, or a negative vote to try to prevent the other choice from winning?

Please add whether you were in a "battleground" state or a "locked" state.
Votes are anonymous so don't be shy.

I'm just glad hitlery lost.

Trump has actually impressed me more since the election than he did prior to it. The reaction of the bed wetters to his election has been delightful to watch.

I did not support him before, but I stand corrected.

You should have included an "I didn't like either and voted third party" option because that's my answer

Fair point, and anyone else to whom that applies can say so in a post.

Mostly though I was interested in how many voted negatively for a "block" rather than positively for a candidate.

There's no way to restrict it but this poll is really directed at voters in "battleground" states, which are the only ones that would have a "block" anyway --- just as only voters in a "locked" state would have an opportunity to vote third party.

"Block" votes, it should be noted, only exist because of the Electoral College's cockamamie "winner take all" system. Without that going on, everybody could vote for a positive choice.

Not American, don't live there, can't vote. I think though that the "the two most despised candidates ever" were probably Hillary Clinton and Richard Nixon ..... or did that sexy idiot from Alaska every run for the presidency?

You should have included an "I didn't like either and voted third party" option because that's my answer

Mostly though I was interested in how many voted negatively for a "block" rather than positively for a candidate.

There's no way to restrict it but this poll is really directed at voters in "battleground" states, which are the only ones that would have a "block" anyway --- just as only voters in a "locked" state would have an opportunity to vote third party.

"Block" votes, it should be noted, only exist because of the Electoral College's cockamamie "winner take all" system. Without that going on, everybody could vote for a positive choice.

I am in a battleground state and still voted third party

• Thanks
Reactions: mdk
Not American, don't live there, can't vote. I think though that the "the two most despised candidates ever" were probably Hillary Clinton and Richard Nixon ..... or did that sexy idiot from Alaska every run for the presidency?

It's a popular conception that this year were "the two most despised candidates ever in a single election", although that's highly debatable. 1960 comes to mind (Nixon vs JFK) -- Kennedy's legacy didn't have anywhere near what it picked up after the assassination. Discontent was such that Electors in three different states cast Electoral Votes for a Senator from Virginia who wasn't even a candidate.

I am in a battleground state and still voted third party

I'm not sure Nevada was in contention, but if you thought it was and you voted 3P, you were taking a risk that your more despised candidate --- assuming you had one ---- would come out on top. But maybe you had no preference/dispreference between the two?

I've voted 3P in the past but only when my state was already locked anyway.

It's a popular conception that this year were "the two most despised candidates ever in a single election", although that's highly debatable. 1960 comes to mind (Nixon vs JFK) -- Kennedy's legacy didn't have anywhere near what it picked up after the assassination. Discontent was such that Electors in three different states cast Electoral Votes for a Senator from Virginia who wasn't even a candidate.
I'm with you 100% on that one. Also, Johnson took over by default but I assume he was as disliked over on your side of the ocean as he was here, so .... had he been politickin' for his first term I imagine he would have been as much despised as Nixon. What do you think?

I'm just glad hitlery lost.

Trump has actually impressed me more since the election than he did prior to it. The reaction of the bed wetters to his election has been delightful to watch.

I did not support him before, but I stand corrected.

I'm with you other than I haven't gone as far as you yet to say I support him now. I want to see him in office before I'd do that.

But yeah, he's been far better as an POTUS elect than as a candidate and the endless meltdown of the left is just hysterical

What an ass you are...Most voted for a candidate, their ideas, and stated policies....The bitch had only Hussein's to run on!

That's uh, what the poll attempts to establish, isn't it Sprinkles. Try to keep up.

You see, not everybody oozes around here with the assumption that their own little Bubblesphere is the sum total of all knowledge.

I'm with you 100% on that one. Also, Johnson took over by default but I assume he was as disliked over on your side of the ocean as he was here, so .... had he been politickin' for his first term I imagine he would have been as much despised as Nixon. What do you think?

Lyndon Johnson wasn't a likeable guy. He got an enormous boost in 1964 from (a) latent sympathy over the assassination, and (b) a rival candidate who was far out of the mainstream. How he would have fared without those two factors we don't know but I suspect very differently.

Of course, "likeable guy" is not a qualification for a head of state anyway. Johnson was certainly effective at getting what he wanted.

What an ass you are...Most voted for a candidate, their ideas, and stated policies....The bitch had only Hussein's to run on!

That's uh, what the poll attempts to establish, isn't it Sprinkles. Try to keep up.

You see, not everybody oozes around here with the assumption that their own little Bubblesphere is the sum total of all knowledge.

You are the one who always whines when your perfect answer isn't in a poll even when there is a choice that is 95% your answer. Yet here, no choice to say we didn't vote for either one because they both suck

You are the one who always whines when your perfect answer isn't in a poll even when there is a choice that is 95% your answer. Yet here, no choice to say we didn't vote for either one because they both suck

All correct. That's because it would take the focus off the real objective.
Thanks for voting.

Since these were popularly cited as "the two most despised candidates ever", whether that's true or not, did you cast a positive vote for a choice on his/her own merits, or a negative vote to try to prevent the other choice from winning?

------------------------------------------------------------------ i voted for the TRUMP as i mostly agree with his ideas and vision for the USA for now and for the future so none of your poll picks applied to me Pogo !!

All correct. That's because it would take the focus off the real objective.
Thanks for voting.

Didn't vote in your poll, voted for Johnson in the election

------------------------------------------------------------------ i voted for the TRUMP as i mostly agree with his ideas and vision for the USA for now and for the future so none of your poll picks applied to me Pogo !!

Actually I put two "voted for Trump" choices in there --- one positive, one negative.

So where's the category for "I thought Trump would make a good president AND wanted to block Clinton"?

Forum List

Back