Poll: Well-off say tax the rich

LOL As I thought you are a dreamer lusting something that can never be achieved.

The only thing that could possibly have given you that idea was this: "When all incomes are equal, all taxes can be equal." That however is not saying that all incomes SHOULD be equal. It is saying that, as long as they aren't, taxes shouldn't be, either. And that is something that certainly CAN be achieved.

All men should be treated equally PERIOD

You don't believe that any more than I do. Or if you do, then where's my private jet?

Come down out of the left field bleachers. Whats with the private jet thing? Are you stuck on stupid?

We aren't talking about the disabled, okay? Never were.

I was. They illustrate the folly of pretending that everyone is equal. On the other end, Bill Gates could not have done what he did without access to his father's wealth as start-up capital. All people are not equal, either in their starting conditions or in their circumstances, and should not be treated as such except in certain specific and narrowly-defined categories, such as equal treatment before the law (which is also not actually done in our society, by the way).

Show me anything that even talks about responsiblities and obligations.

Taxes. The subject of this thread. That's an obligation and responsibility.

A rich person and a poor person are not equal by choice....for the most part, yes, some will fall between the cracks. But it certainly isn't because of them being not having their opportunity....its by their choice. That is what you fail to recognize. Sounds more like sour grapes on your behalf.

I think you're exaggerating the degree to which people actually have that choice, but it doesn't really matter. Whether it's by their choice or not, the fact remains that rich people and non-rich people are not equal, and to treat them as if they were results in injustice.

We just disagree. You think I'm wrong and I know your wrong. That's just the way it is.

By the way....this is the first you mentioned about the disabled...we could have addressed that earlier if you had.

People who want to pay more taxes can send an extra check to the government.

If they aren't doing that, then don't believe the poll.

Come down out of the left field bleachers. Whats with the private jet thing?

It illustrates a point. Nobody literally believes that rich people should be treated the same as other people. Not me, not you, not anyone.

Bill Gates can go to wherever you go to buy a private jet and buy one. I cannot. Why? Because he has lots of money and I don't. And there's nothing wrong with that: being able to buy a private jet is a privilege of having a lot of money. There's no reason why he and I should be treated equally as far as that is concerned.

But it's equally true on the other end. Just as there is nothing wrong with him being able to buy the private jet that I can't, so there is nothing wrong with taxing his income at a higher percentage than mine. The responsibilities, such as paying taxes, are unequal just as the privileges, such as owning a private jet, are not equal.

If everyone were indeed equal..................then it would be fair to charge the exact same dollar amount to everyone for taxes. It doesn't matter where you live, what you do, how many kids you support, etc.

When a rich person goes to a movie, he pays $8 just like the poor person who goes to a movie. The exact same amount for the exact same movie experience. We don't charge the rich person more because he has more money. That would not be fair, would it?

Same thing for taxes. It costs a certain amount to live here in this great land. And that amount is the exact same for every American citizen....because every American citizen has the exact same Americn experience.

All we need to do is set the amount. Anyone have any idea?

The wealthy citizenry are willing to pay more.

Accountants, etc. etc. are not so willing because they make money to not be willing in these cases. I donate to the Government of my choice.

If they tell me I need to pay more to help, I will. Of course I will. I already do.

It illustrates a point. Nobody literally believes that rich people should be treated the same as other people. Not me, not you, not anyone.

Bill Gates can go to wherever you go to buy a private jet and buy one. I cannot. Why? Because he has lots of money and I don't. And there's nothing wrong with that: being able to buy a private jet is a privilege of having a lot of money. There's no reason why he and I should be treated equally as far as that is concerned.

But it's equally true on the other end. Just as there is nothing wrong with him being able to buy the private jet that I can't, so there is nothing wrong with taxing his income at a higher percentage than mine. The responsibilities, such as paying taxes, are unequal just as the privileges, such as owning a private jet, are not equal.

You are struggling to maintain a medieval practice. Rob the rich and give to the poor government. We are in the 21st century.

Of course they do. Ever notice how it is always someone else who should pay higher taxes?

Have you seen the latest stats on who owns the wealth? Basically the top 1% own about 50%, the top 10% own 90% and the bottom 50% of incomes own about 3%.

Who do you think should pay more of the tax burden?

But they do, The Top 10% pay 80% of the Taxes, and you are considering all people acquired money when you call them wealthy. We pay taxes on Annual Income in America, not on the Money we have sitting in the Bank. At least not until we die, then if we have enough sitting in the bank Uncle Same takes 55% of it all.

So what are you people really asking for? The Top annual wage earners already pay a far higher Portion of all Taxes than the poor do, Do you now want to tax all their money they have saved every year as well? 55% of it when they die is not enough?

Basically if you are one of those evil people Obama refers to, you know the ones he calls Millionaires and Billionaires when they actually only make say 800k a year? After Federal, State and Local Taxes are taken out you get to keep about 340 Thousand dollars. So you save and put it all away, and earn Capital Gains on it, which you pay 15% tax on, then you die and leave your Estate to your Kids, but First the Government takes 55% of everything they let you keep when you were alive.

lol

Yeah the rich, they don't pay their fair share.

Oh and you people need to stop bringing up Buffet to support Obama's Plan. Buffet backed off his statements and clarified that he means we should raise taxes on the SUPER rich. Those Making over 50 million dollars a year, Not people making less than that. LOL

Yet Obama and his mindless supporters still call it the buffet rule.

Yeah..the rich pay so much taxes it was really really really hard for guys like Buffet to have a personal wealth of over 24 billion dollars.

Tough times. :lol:

You are struggling to maintain a medieval practice. Rob the rich and give to the poor government. We are in the 21st century.

The "medieval" practice is a small group of super wealthy people and a large group of extremely poor people. You know, like Britain, circa 1776.

The "Middle Class" is a relatively new concept that started in this country around 1950 and was growing and going strong to around 1980. It got a short respite around 1993 but started fading fast after 2001.

The "medieval" practice is a small group of super wealthy people and a large group of extremely poor people. You know, like Britain, circa 1776.

The "Middle Class" is a relatively new concept that started in this country around 1950 and was growing and going strong to around 1980. It got a short respite around 1993 but started fading fast after 2001.

You are historically ignorant, hardly a surprise.

The middle class was not invented in the 1950s. Read some history, especially that of Europe.

If everyone were indeed equal..................then it would be fair to charge the exact same dollar amount to everyone for taxes. It doesn't matter where you live, what you do, how many kids you support, etc.

When a rich person goes to a movie, he pays $8 just like the poor person who goes to a movie. The exact same amount for the exact same movie experience. We don't charge the rich person more because he has more money. That would not be fair, would it?

Same thing for taxes. It costs a certain amount to live here in this great land. And that amount is the exact same for every American citizen....because every American citizen has the exact same Americn experience.

Actually, the government spends more on the welfare parasites. It spends a whole lot more keeping their offspring in prison.

Actually, the government spends more on the welfare parasites. It spends a whole lot more keeping their offspring in prison.

You are a pretty dumb guy, ain't ya?

Not a new concept, just the time it was coined. Prosperity allowed many to move up the chain. Which is still going on today. Proven by the number of new millionaires.
I did catch the attempted slam. Ignoring all culpable will never impress.

Forum List

Back