Poll Suggests U.S. Troops Support McCain 3-1

This is what helped elect Bush in '04. Obama supporters ought to quit counting their chickens.

go alabama! ;)

CW,

i don't think there is any record that supports the claim that the military all voted bush in 2004, though there is in 2000...

the reason i say this is because i searched from here to high heaven, to find anything at all that supported such... no polls, no touting from republicans about the 2004 military vote going to bush.....NADA, NOTHING, NILCH on it...

at the time, i thought the info must have not been going in bush's favor and this is why the military vote was not mentioned....

NOT that i don't think it went in bush's favor....i believe it did go his way... more than likely, with Kerry nimnod making that dumb comment on the smarts of who ends up in iraq....however, i do think that bush DID NOT get the overwhelming military vote that they were hoping for or 'they' would have been touting that kind of military support from the rooftops...it would have been a major part of their 'talking points'....don't you think so?

care

go alabama! ;)

CW,

i don't think there is any record that supports the claim that the military all voted bush in 2004, though there is in 2000...

the reason i say this is because i searched from here to high heaven, to find anything at all that supported such... no polls, no touting from republicans about the 2004 military vote going to bush.....NADA, NOTHING, NILCH on it...

at the time, i thought the info must have not been going in bush's favor and this is why the military vote was not mentioned....

NOT that i don't think it went in bush's favor....i believe it did go his way... more than likely, with Kerry nimnod making that dumb comment on the smarts of who ends up in iraq....however, i do think that bush DID NOT get the overwhelming military vote that they were hoping for or 'they' would have been touting that kind of military support from the rooftops...it would have been a major part of their 'talking points'....don't you think so?

care

Probably so, but it is an interesting topic.

ROLL TIDE

When I served overseas I had to register for absentee ballot to my APO address and not my home of record. Each troop has an address through the unit they are assigned to. The registration cards where provided when you do your inprocessing. It's not as complicated as you make it out to be. Everyone is given the opportunity to.

It is a fact that military votes were caged this way by the GOP. It isn't that complicated.

And

The conventional wisdom suggests the troops vote Republican. It's been this way for a generation, and it's not going to change.

But if campaign contributions are any indication, the GOP is losing the troops.

Military contributions shift — away from the GOP
Posted September 13th, 2007 at 4:05 pm

http://www.thecarpetbaggerreport.com/archives/12874.html

So any talk of the military going to the GOP for sure to me spells theft of the military vote. No fucking way they are that dumb to vote against their own best interests. I know a lot of military guys pissed that McCain votes against them 70% of the time.

Unless of course the military is brainwashing and lying to the troops.

I know half the military are Republicans, but i wouldn't be cocky that their going to vote GOP this time. Unless they want to be stop lost again and again for the next 4 years.

I wasn't commenting on how this poll goes. I was stating facts with how easy it is for a troop. I know this from first hand experence. They never made it harder than it was when I was state side.

I wasn't commenting on how this poll goes. I was stating facts with how easy it is for a troop. I know this from first hand experence. They never made it harder than it was when I was state side.

You don't get it. If they sent the challange to your home and you were overseas, your vote might not have counted. But don't worry, because you are white and republican. They counted your vote.

Monica Goodling admitted caging votes:

Monica Goodling was the first to publicly admit to the use of "vote caging" in her written and oral testimony to the United States House Judiciary Committee on May 23, 2007

You remember Monica, right? She's the one that admitted politicizing the Justice Department

Goodling Acknowledges Politicizing Staff Picks
Goodling Acknowledges Politicizing Staff Picks : NPR

The idea that you trust or vote for these people is amazing. Criminals!!!

And how did we find out the GOP was caging people based on race? They accidentilly emailed the caging list to an anti Bush email:

In October 2004, the BBC Newsnight program reported on an alleged George W. Bush campaign caging list, the existence of which suggested that the campaign might have been planning illegal disruption of African American voting in Jacksonville, Florida. The BBC obtained a document from George W. Bush's Florida campaign headquarters that was inadvertently e-mailed to the parody website GeorgeWBush.org. The program reported that the e-mail attachment contained a list of 1,886 voter names and addresses in largely African-American and Democratic areas of Jacksonville.

Remember that?

Please don't play dumb. The GOP steal elections. ACORN only tries to register voters. There is a big difference.

Well.. according to "polls" (and take them however you want)... only 90% of African Americans are supposedly voting for Obama....

There are conservative and Republican African Americans... naturally.... and with the culture of the military, you can easily conclude that regardless of race the support is still more behind McCain

We all remember earlier this month when Rush Limbaugh encouraged Republicans to vote for Hillary in Texas and Ohio's primaries. In Ohio when you change parties you must sign a form stating you are doing so because you believe in the political ideals of that party. Lying on that form is a criminal act, and has now spawned an investigation:
The Cuyahoga County Board of Elections has launched an investigation that could lead to criminal charges against voters who maliciously switched parties for the March 4 presidential primary.
Elections workers will look for evidence that voters lied when they signed affidavits pledging allegiance to their new party. And at least one board member, Sandy McNair, a Democrat, wants the county prosecutor to review the findings.
But it remained unclear Wednesday whether the four-member board will agree to pursue prosecution. A 2-2 vote would mean that Ohio Secretary of State Jennifer Brunner, a Democrat, would have to break the tie.
After the election a lot of these cross overs went on the air and proudly proclaimed that they did it for Rush. Little did they know they were admitting before the nation that they may have just broken the law.
Now the question remains about Rush's involvement in this. Using the public airwaves to encourage people to break the law has been a shady area in the past. If charges do come out of the investigation, then the FCC needs to look at Rush's involvement and possibly take action against him, as well as all affiliates that carry his show.
Using Public Airwaves To Encourage Criminal Acts | Crooks and Liars

If you belive that then, I would like to sell you a condo with with an oceanview in Omaha.

The military is not voting republican this year. And the Republicans are going to lose Ohio, Florida, Virginia, Colorado and many other states that Bush won in 2004.

Stop pretending this race is close. It is not. And the military gets it too. Maybe more so than we do because they are living in the GOP's mess.

If the military goes to McCain, the GOP have stolen the military vote.

Oh look, sealy and another conspiracy theory. Who's surprised? I'm very surprised.

Don't forget your hat:
tin-foil-hat.jpg

Last edited:
Retired is right about the conservative trend. Most active duty are conservative. Some, as seen here, stay that way after getting out others don't, and then there are the deviants who were liberals while on active duty.:razz:

The system of the military, by its nature, has to form a cohesive team. This is constantly reinforced by the interaction you have in the active duty military with your contemporaries who more than likely have similar shared values. When you live within a closed system (OE talk) like this, you will normally reflect the systems most commonly held values.

Nothing good or bad about this. It just is.

Well.. according to "polls" (and take them however you want)... only 90% of African Americans are supposedly voting for Obama....

There are conservative and Republican African Americans... naturally.... and with the culture of the military, you can easily conclude that regardless of race the support is still more behind McCain

This story may prove me wrong

Fewer Blacks Enlisting In Military, Unpopularity Of Iraq War Leads To 14% Recruitment Decline Since 2000 - CBS News

Fewer Blacks Enlisting In Military

One other point. The way the system has been screwing with the military votes of those overseas, it may be impossible to say how many actually get counted in the actual election.

Outright lie. These votes are the easiest to steal. From both ends too.

Republicans caged black soldiers.

The Republican party sends registered mail to addresses of registered voters. If the mail is returned as undeliverable - because, for example, the voter refuses to sign for it, the voter isn't present for delivery, is serving in Iraq or the voter is homeless - the party uses that fact to challenge the registration, arguing that because the voter could not be reached at the address, the registration is fraudulent.

Of course they can't be reached. They are serving our country in Iraq.

Every Unit has a voting officer task with ENSURING every member of the command has access to voter registration and absentee ballots. EVERY Command. Voting is taken VERY seriously by the military, has been for at least since 1980 when I got to my first none school command.

This would include Iraq, in fact I bet they are working hard to ensure everyone that wants to vote gets too.

You don't get it. If they sent the challange to your home and you were overseas, your vote might not have counted. But don't worry, because you are white and republican. They counted your vote.

Monica Goodling admitted caging votes:

Monica Goodling was the first to publicly admit to the use of "vote caging" in her written and oral testimony to the United States House Judiciary Committee on May 23, 2007

You remember Monica, right? She's the one that admitted politicizing the Justice Department

Goodling Acknowledges Politicizing Staff Picks
Goodling Acknowledges Politicizing Staff Picks : NPR

The idea that you trust or vote for these people is amazing. Criminals!!!

And how did we find out the GOP was caging people based on race? They accidentilly emailed the caging list to an anti Bush email:

In October 2004, the BBC Newsnight program reported on an alleged George W. Bush campaign caging list, the existence of which suggested that the campaign might have been planning illegal disruption of African American voting in Jacksonville, Florida. The BBC obtained a document from George W. Bush's Florida campaign headquarters that was inadvertently e-mailed to the parody website GeorgeWBush.org. The program reported that the e-mail attachment contained a list of 1,886 voter names and addresses in largely African-American and Democratic areas of Jacksonville.

Remember that?

Please don't play dumb. The GOP steal elections. ACORN only tries to register voters. There is a big difference.

When you get to your unit be it state side or overseas, they give you a packet to fill out.... In the packet is a voter registration card for your state. You're given an address for your mail... You put that address on the registration card. If you where registered before you put down your old address to cancel out your old registration. There will be no more mailed to your former address.

I signed up with people from walks of life and we all where offered to sign up at the same time. There was never a problem with it. I'm sure that everyone here that served can tell you the same. It was all part of in processing. I only voted in one election while overseas. It was a lot like it is here in Oregon.

This is what helped elect Bush in '04. Obama supporters ought to quit counting their chickens.

Well, I'm certainly not counting my chickens. I don't underestimate the ability of Rovian sleaze to win elections. However:

From your link:

The non-scientific survey

A racial divide was immediately evident among the respondents. Nearly eight in 10 black servicemembers chose Obama, while McCain captured 76 percent of white voters and 63 percent of Hispanic voters.

Numbers among men and women respondents were also visibly different. Men overwhelmingly said they would vote for McCain, 70 percent to 22 percent. But among women the margin was much closer: 53 percent support McCain, while 36 percent support Obama.

and

The Military Times offered certain caveats for its poll, which was open only to its 80,000 subscribers. Responses were entirely voluntary and were not focused on a representative sample of the public, as scientific polls are. The troops polled were also somewhat older than average enlisted servicemembers and included more officers than is representative of the military as a whole.

Now... what is the black to white ratio in the army?

What is the male to female ratio in the army?

What is the ratio of older to younger service people in the army?

Did military higher ups have access to poll results?

How military people other than the ones Fox writes about feel:

IAVA - Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America - IAVA Executive Director on Countdown with Keith Olbermann, Sept. 5

Anyway... does the military like republicans? Yes. But... this "poll" doesn't tell us an awful lot except the obvious... that the electorate splits down racial and gender lines.

Every Unit has a voting officer task with ENSURING every member of the command has access to voter registration and absentee ballots. EVERY Command. Voting is taken VERY seriously by the military, has been for at least since 1980 when I got to my first none school command.

This would include Iraq, in fact I bet they are working hard to ensure everyone that wants to vote gets too.

Maybe back home is where they challange and throw out your vote?

No, it's just as easy state side as it is for anyone else to register absentee. In processing is only a little different overseas.

Apparently you and the Retiree know more than John Warner and Daily KOS?

As many as 300,000 military voters will not get the opportunity to vote by absentee ballot because the process of getting ballots into their hands and then back home to be counted is choked in bureaucratic paperwork. Not only is the military under-staffed to handle the issue, the states each impose their voting rules and restrictions.
Something as simple as allowing absentee ballots to be e-mailed to the troops would help cut the number of our soldiers who are dis-enfranchised.
The Pew Center for the States initiative called "Democracy at a Distance" will hold a conference beginning tomorrow in Washington DC intended to focus attention--and perhaps actually get results--to solve this problem.
We send our soliders to fight and sometimes die for our freedom. How can we deny them the right to vote because it's inconvenient to process?
Senator John Warner is participating in this conference and as a veteran, former Navy Secretary, and leading Republican on the Armed Services Committee, he seems like a good focal point to voice your opinion that it's time to escalate this issue and get a crisis solution in place in time for the 2008 election.
Here's how to reach him:
John Warner's senate office
And by the way, I know there's a perception that the military vote is mostly Republican. First of all, that's irrelevant. Even if it was all Republican, our soldiers deserve the right to vote on the leaders of the democracy they are fighting for--I'm sure you would all agree.
Second, in fact there's good evidence that's no longer the case--or at least not the case this year, where soliders and their families have had to live day to day with the results of this tragic administration.
Please take 60 seconds and raise another voice to get this wrong righted. Change can happen even in this election cycle if we care enough to try.
Daily Kos: 300,000 Military voters don't count!

Forum List

Back