Poll: Jesse Jackson Jr. has huge lead - WTF

Desperado

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2012
How the fuck is this even possible?
Are the voters in Illinois really this stupid or just that racist??

Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr., an Illinois Democrat battling medical and legal problems, has a whopping 31-percentage point advantage over his nearest rival in his re-election bid, a new poll shows.
The candidate, who has been absent from Congress — and the campaign trail — for months, spent several weeks at the Minnesota medical facility earlier this year.

Read more: Poll: Jesse Jackson Jr. has huge lead - Washington Times Poll: Jesse Jackson Jr. has huge lead - Washington Times
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

How the fuck is this even possible?
Are the voters in Illinois really this stupid or just that racist??

Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr., an Illinois Democrat battling medical and legal problems, has a whopping 31-percentage point advantage over his nearest rival in his re-election bid, a new poll shows.
The candidate, who has been absent from Congress — and the campaign trail — for months, spent several weeks at the Minnesota medical facility earlier this year.

Read more: Poll: Jesse Jackson Jr. has huge lead - Washington Times Poll: Jesse Jackson Jr. has huge lead - Washington Times
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

Who is his opponent? He or she must be pretty bad.

Also, I wouldn't follow anyone at Washington Times.

The opponent is an unknown professor from one of the local universities with very little money. There is very little chance Jackson loses despite all of his issues.

What? Me worry?...
:eusa_shifty:
Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr. has ‘no plans for Election Night,’ campaign says
October 31, 2012 - U.S. Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr., who is being treated for mental health issues and is facing a federal probe, will not host an Election Night event and has voted by absentee ballot, a spokesman for his campaign said.
Jackson, who is up for re-election next week, is still being treated at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., hospital spokesman Nick Hanson said in an email Wednesday.

The South Shore Democrat was admitted to the clinic earlier this month for follow-up treatment for bipolar disorder and depression.

Jackson’s campaign is making decisions based on what the doctors say. “There’s no plans for Election Night,” spokesman Kevin Lampe said. “We’re waiting for his doctor’s approval to return to work.”

Lampe said it is not yet known whether Jackson would still be in the hospital on Election Night, again saying that it’s up to the doctors to decide.

Source

Humbled & moved by the support...
:eusa_eh:
Jesse Jackson Jr. wins 10th term despite fed investigation
November 6, 2012 : He made just a single robo-call. He’s facing a federal investigation.
He’s made two visits to the Mayo Clinic — where he is now — since he took a leave of absence for treatment of mental-health problems. Despite it all, Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr. won his 10th term in the South Side and south suburban 2nd Congressional District on Tuesday.

With 73 percent of precincts reporting, Jackson had 68 percent of the vote. Brian Woodworth, the Republican candidate, had 18 percent, while independent Marcus Lewis had 14 percent.

“I am humbled and moved by the support shown today,” Jackson said in a statement. “Every day, I think about your needs and concerns. Once the doctors approve my return to work, I will continue to be the progressive fighter you have known for years.”

Last week, Jackson’s campaign staff said the congressman wouldn’t be hosting an Election Night event and already had voted by absentee ballot. This Election Day, Jackson’s South Side campaign office was locked and dark, save for a reception area light. The Democrat remained in treatment at the Mayo Clinic, said Nick Hanson, a spokesman for the Rochester, Minn., facility.

Source

FBI “is not yet finished digging” in Jesse Jackson Jr. case...
:clap2:
Feds ‘going down every rat hole’ in Jesse Jackson Jr. probe: source
November 15, 2012 - Federal authorities investigating U.S. Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr. continue to “peel back layers of the onion” in the case, according to a source close to the financial probe who described it as an ongoing investigation.
The source said Thursday that federal investigators are “going down every rat hole,” and that the FBI crew investigating “is not yet finished digging.” The federal probe, which began before Jackson took medical leave from Congress on June 10, first looked at activity in the congressman’s campaign fund. But it has since gone into other areas, said the source, who would not elaborate. Broad, sweeping subpoenas were issued in the Jackson investigation, including on financial institutions that controlled Jackson accounts both in and out of Washington, D.C., the source said.

Sun-Times columnist Michael Sneed reported last week that Jackson is in the midst of plea discussions. “No one has pled guilty, but plea discussions are ongoing,” a source told Sneed. Meanwhile, investigators are also examining what role the congressman’s wife, Ald. Sandi Jackson (7th), played in the finances, but the source described the inquiry into her so far as a “normal” part of investigating a main target.

The Sun-Times first reported last month that the FBI in the Washington, D.C., field office had been investigating Jackson due to alleged “suspicious activity” in his finances. The revelation came after Jackson checked into the Mayo Clinic, saying he suffered from bipolar depression. His 2nd District constituency, which includes some of the poorer areas of the city, has gone without representation since June.

Jackson has missed the first days of this week’s lame-duck session in Congress and people close to him say they don’t think he’s ever returning. Jackson was temporarily back in Washington last month when he was spotted at a nightclub drinking with other women. He returned to the Mayo Clinic but was again released, the facility said Tuesday. People close to Jackson said he is still getting treated on an out-patient basis. Jackson did not campaign for reelection and still coasted to victory on Nov. 6.

Source

Granny says he ain't no different from the rest o' dem politicians up in Washin'ton - he just got caught...
:eusa_shifty:
Jesse Jackson Jr steps down from Illinois Congress seat
21 November 2012 - Jesse Jackson Jr was a featured speaker at the 2008 Democratic National Convention
An Illinois congressman being treated for bipolar disorder and facing scrutiny from ethics probes has resigned weeks after his re-election. Jesse Jackson Jr, son of civil rights activist Rev Jesse Jackson, was largely absent from Congress in recent months. In his resignation letter, Mr Jackson, 46, told Speaker John Boehner his constituents "deserve a full-time legislator". He was re-elected in a heavily Democratic district on 6 November 2012. He was first elected to the House of Representatives for the Illinois second congressional district, which includes part of Chicago's South Side and some suburban areas, in 1995.

'Share of shortcomings'

Mr Jackson first disappeared from Congress in June, with it later being revealed that he was undergoing treatment at the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota for bipolar disorder and gastrointestinal issues. He returned to his Washington home in September but went back to the clinic the next month. Rev Jackson said his son had not yet "regained his balance". Announcing his resignation on Wednesday, Mr Jackson suggested he still faced a struggle to resume full health and fitness. "The constituents of the district deserve a full-time legislator in Washington, something I cannot be for the foreseeable future," he said. "My health issues and treatment regimen have become incompatible with the House of Representatives."

Mr Jackson has also been under investigation by the House Ethics committee over his dealings with jailed ex-Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich. There have also been reports of a new federal probe into possible misuse of campaign money. In his letter, he acknowledged the House probe for the first time, saying he was "doing my best to address the situation responsibly, co-operate with the investigators, and accept responsibility for my mistakes". "None of us is immune from our share of shortcomings or human frailties and I pray I will be remembered for what I did right," he added. His seat in Congress will now be filled by a special election, the same way Mr Jackson was first elected. His resignation is not expected to result in any changes in the political balance of power of the House of Representatives, which is controlled by Republicans.

BBC News - Jesse Jackson Jr steps down from Illinois Congress seat

See also:

Rep. Jackson Jr. resigns, citing mental health
November 21, 2012 — Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr. quietly resigned Wednesday, effectively ending a once-promising political career months after the civil rights icon's son went on a mysterious medical leave while facing separate federal investigations.
Just two weeks after voters re-elected him to a ninth full term, Jackson sent his resignation letter to House Speaker John Boehner, citing his ongoing treatment for bipolar disorder and admitting "my share of mistakes." The House Ethics Committee is investigating his dealings with imprisoned ex-Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich, and for the first time Jackson publicly acknowledged reports of a new federal probe believed to be looking into his possible misuse of campaign money. "I am aware of the ongoing federal investigation into my activities and I am doing my best to address the situation responsibly, cooperate with the investigators, and accept responsibility for my mistakes," he wrote, adding "they are my mistakes and mine alone."

Jackson, 47, disappeared in June, and it was later revealed that he was being treated at the Mayo Clinic for bipolar disorder and gastrointestinal issues. He returned to his Washington home in September but went back to the clinic the next month, with his father, the Rev. Jesse Jackson, saying his son had not yet "regained his balance." On Wednesday night, Jackson told reporters that his son resigned because he did not believe he could continue with his political career and try to regain his health at the same time. "He made the decision to choose his health," said Jackson.

The elder Jackson said that his son had wanted to hold a news conference to discuss his decision to step down but did not believe he could do so without "breaking down." He also said there is no way of knowing how long it will take for his son to recover from what he characterized as an "internal unresolved challenge." "It's not the kind of illness you can put a timetable on," Jackson said, adding that he is confident that his son "will get well in time."

Jesse Jackson Jr. first took office in 1995 after winning a special election in a largely urban and Democratic district and began his career in Washington with a star power and pedigree that set him apart from his hundreds of other House colleagues. But despite high expectations, he largely went unnoticed as a policymaker. Instead, he gained a reputation for quixotic pursuits such as trying to impeach President George W. Bush and push through constitutional amendments that had no chance.

MORE

Last edited:

Forum List

Back