CDZ Poll: Do you text when you are driving?

Have you ever texted while driving?

• I have never texted in my life.

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • I have never texted while driving a motor vehicle.

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • I have read texts while driving.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have sent texts while driving.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have read and sent texts while driving.

Votes: 5 35.7%

• Total voters
Yes, but not more than a few times a day.

Is that wrong?
I think it's wrong, but please know that I am a professional truck driver, so I notice things people are doing while driving, much more than the average driver will. People have taken driving for granted, and many of them feel invincible in their car, but I see so many horrible accidents, and I see hundreds of people a day, texting while driving.

My favorite was a girl/woman, texting and eating a biscuit, while passing me doing over 70 mph, with a state patrol car right behind her. Needless to say, he pulled her over, and I assume she got a speeding ticket, and hopefully a distracted driving ticket.

Would you like for me to text and drive my 80,000 pound truck, just a few times a day?

Come on, be honest, I've done it once or twice, realized how dangerous it was and now preach against it.

Now this is just texting, in other words, sending or reading text messages while driving down any road, or even driving around a parking lot.

Nope. I am a defensive driver.
Then I bet you don't live near New York City, Chicago, Atlanta, Philadelphia, or other big cities on the east coast. The majority of drivers there don't know what defensive driving is.

Does it count if you do it at a stop light?
What about if you are playing a game while in bumper to bumper traffic?

I do NOT text while my vehicle is moving. EVER!
However, about 15 years ago, I had this old Nokia phone, and, I used to play a game on it but again, only at lights or during very slow moving traffic. I wish I could remember the game... I have no idea why I liked it.... there were actually 2 I like ... one was one of those games where you would flip the cards and they would have images on them and you had to match the images.... this was it! Snake!

snake.jpg
playing a game does count! As does being in bumper to bumper traffic. If your car is in drive, and your foot is needed for anything, then that counts as driving...If you are stopped and your car is in park, then that is not driving.

Never. The phone goes into the console armrest until the end of my drive. The message or call can wait.
Nobody is that important that they must have to send a message or make a call while driving. Get over yourself and drive. lol

Great thread a poignant reminder that death or injury can result from a few moments of indiscretion. I have used voice recognition/activation email programs when I stop my vehicle to get coffee or am walking about.

However, about 15 years ago, I had this old Nokia phone, and, I used to play a game on it but again, only at lights or during very slow moving traffic. I wish I could remember the game... I have no idea why I liked it.... there were actually 2 I like ... one was one of those games where you would flip the cards and they would have images on them and you had to match the images.... this was it! Snake!

snake.jpg
Yes, it counts. I got into an accident about 6 or 7 years ago doing that very thing. Was texting at the stop light. Thought the light was green. Hit gas. Tapped the car in front of me. No damages. The cop even told me to leave. However that accident came back to bite me in the butt.

Just DON'T do it.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Come on, be honest, I've done it once or twice, realized how dangerous it was and now preach against it.

Now this is just texting, in other words, sending or reading text messages while driving down any road, or even driving around a parking lot.

Then I bet you don't live near New York City, Chicago, Atlanta, Philadelphia, or other big cities on the east coast. The majority of drivers there don't know what defensive driving is.
Certainly not in ATL. In NYC it's called aggressive driving.

Certainly not in ATL. In NYC it's called aggressive driving.

I avoid Atlanta like the plague, I love the town, even have family there, but the traffic is unreal, and the only time, I have found to get through it easy is around 1-4 am.

snake.jpg
Yes, it counts. I got into an accident about 6 or 7 years ago doing that very thing. Was texting at the stop light. Thought the light was green. Hit gas. Tapped the car in front of me. No damages. The cop even told me to leave. However that accident came back to bite me in the butt.

Just DON'T do it.

I don't anymore. I hardly even text at all. Much less talk on the phone.
I like communicating here more than anything else. 2nd would be in person conversations.
Texting and talking on the phone are dead last.

I just moved from Chicago. That's where I learned that from.

lol. Yes. Been driving...oh...almost 50 years now. 1 accident when I was 16. Minor. Nothing since. Got one ticket for speeding though. Just one.

DMV mails my license to me. :lol:
You are giving me a very good insight into your age...LOL...I got my one and only speeding ticket on the day I got my license back in 86, that 100 bucks taught me real quick. Truth be told though, I was driving a car at 7 years old, and driving by myself at 11, it was a different world back then.
Yup. I could be yer granny. What a nice thought, eh? Behave cuz GrannyGracie is watching you.:lol:

stubborn-granny-303988.jpg
Well, my granny would have turned 100 this December, I figured you for around 40 years her junior.
You guessed pretty much correctly. I will be 64 in October and I damn sure do not want to live to 100. I would prefer to kick off before 70 but that ain't up to me.

I have sent and received texts while driving. I have only done so using my cars' feature whereby when I receive a text, the infotainment system says, "You have a text from 'so and so.' You can say 'read it or ignore." Usually I say, "read it," and that's what the system does, whereafter it offers the the option to reply or say "I'm done." If I choose "reply," the system reads the text back to me and informs me that I can "try again" or send it.

That is the only method I've used to receive and send text messages while I'm also driving. I have never initiated a texting conversation while I was driving. I have initiated them while I'm parked (i.e., before I commence my journey).

Not all of my cars have the tech described above. When I drive a car that hasn't that feature, I don't text and drive at all. I do talk on the phone; however, I only do so using the car's built in (or aftermarket in the case of one of them) bluetooth feature that lets me dial and talk hands free and without looking at the phone itself.

Did it a couple times way back in the beginning. Scared the crap out of me. Now, if you don't call me on my blu-tooth, you won't hear from me till I get to where I am going.

Once in a great while. I have an app that reads and sends my texts hands free. However, I make a point of not doing it or even answering the phone unless it is an emergency. If its something important but a non emergency I will pull over.

Once in a great while. I have an app that reads and sends my texts hands free. However, I make a point of not doing it or even answering the phone unless it is an emergency. If its something important but a non emergency I will pull over.

If it weren't for talking on the phone while I'm in cars (as driver or passenger) or other transport vehicles, short of conference calls, I don't know when I'd actually have time to be on the phone. LOL

Forum List

Back