Poll: Americans Oppose Obama's First Two Executive Orders

What fucking bullshit. McCain supporters made this point a thousand times during the elections, and we were batted down every time. We actually turned out to be WRONG, but now you're trying to feed us our own regurgitation? Give me a break. If the election proved anything, polls CAN be right.

Actually no, if this election proved anything then polls can be wrong. Obama and NH anyone?

You are both off.

What the election proved was that Nate Silver and RCP are damn good at analyzing numerous polls to come up with an accurate election prediction.

Individual polls remain unreliable.

You are both off.

What the election proved was that Nate Silver and RCP are damn good at analyzing numerous polls to come up with an accurate election prediction.

Actually, aside from Nate Silver being a genius, the RCP Averages in the poll of polls had it right, too.... which shows that while an individual poll may or may not be a completely accurate predictor, the overall picture, obtained by averaging the most reliable of the polls, is pretty accurate.

Also, polls are intended to show a snapshot at a particular moment in time. That snapshot is subject to change.

You are both off.

Actually, aside from Nate Silver being a genius, the RCP Averages in the poll of polls had it right, too.... which shows that while an individual poll may or may not be a completely accurate predictor, the overall picture, obtained by averaging the most reliable of the polls, is pretty accurate.

That's a better way to say it.

Didn't Nate assign a weight each poll and work that into his formula?

Also, polls are intended to show a snapshot at a particular moment in time. That snapshot is subject to change.

Ayup. They (Nate and RCP) did a good job of mapping out the polls over time so you could see where and how drastically the momentum was changing in the election.

Last edited:
That's a better way to say it.

Didn't Nate assign a weight each poll and work that into his formula?

Thanks. I think he might have. Whatever he did, it was incredibly accurate. It will be interesting to see if he can do the same with respect to the 2010 elections.

Ayup. They (Nate and RCP) did a good job of mapping out the polls over time so you could see where and how drastically the momentum was changing in the election.

And ultimately, momentum is what polls show best.

President Obama has garnered widespread support for his early actions in office, but Americans strongly oppose the commander-in-chief's first two executive orders -- allowing federal funding for overseas abortions and closing Guantanamo -- according to a Gallup poll released Tuesday.

Fifty-eight percent of Americans said they disagreed with the president's decision to give overseas funding to family planning organizations that provide abortions, according to the survey taken between Friday and Sunday. Thirty-five percent supported it.

Poll: Americans Oppose Obama's First Two Executive Orders - First 100 Days of Presidency - Politics FOXNews.com

And of course:

The poll also found that more Americans -- 50 percent to 44 percent --oppose the president's decision to close the Guantanamo Bay prison for terror suspects within in a year.

Makes it sound a little closer then you make it seem. Besides, wouldn't rely on a poll exactly considering location and whether Democrats or Republicans were oversampled.

And of course you also don't add:

Despite clear disapproval to the two executive orders, an overwhelming majority of Americans said they supported the president's first actions as president.

Seventy-four percent favored Obama's position to lift interrogation techniques on prisoners, while 76 percent said they agreed with the decision to name special envoys to the Middle East, Afghanistan and Pakistan.

Seventy-six percent also said the agreed with Obama's decision to tighten ethics rules for administration officials. And 66 percent said they agree with his effort to make it easier for workers to sue for pay discrimination.

Thanks for only posting the only part of the story that helps your Obama hate. Try again though.

So NOW we want to caveat the polls? No obvious double standard here.:eusa_hand:

Amazing how faux news and it's adherants contort themselves to advance their little agenda.

The REAL headline:

Americans Approve of Most Obama Actions to Date February 2, 2009
Solid majorities of Americans approve of Barack Obama’s actions on diplomacy, interrogations, ethics reform, fuel efficiency standards, and pay discrimination. But the public disagrees with closing the Guantanamo Bay prison and lifting the ban on U.S. funds for overseas abortion providers.

Gallup.Com - Polls, Daily Tracking, Public Opinion on News, Politics, Economics, Management

They aren't in with the two exec orders that you're talking about because a) lunatics are saying they're funding overseas ABORTION PROVIDERS (big deal!) and are ringing the hysteria bell over closing Gitmo. (in a continued effort to destroy habeas corpus).

Obama lifted Bush's GAG RULE... which denied funds to anyone that used the word abortion in counseling. It was one of those gifts to the rabid religious right.

Amazing how you leftwingers can't attack the argument with any logic or facts so you have to attack the media source and and the political opposition instead.

Go down to Walmart and buy and argument. I'm sure they sell them. They sell everything else.

Why are we providing medical care <read abortions>for people overseas when so many of our own people don't have medical care?

Seems to me, Americans should come first.

That's not what lifting Bush's gag rule did.

ABC News: Obama Overturns 'Mexico City Policy' Implemented by Reagan

President Obama signed an executive order today reversing the ban that prohibits funding to international family planning groups that provide abortions, as first reported by ABC News.

sure looks to me like we are sending money to international family planning groups that provide abortions .....

Being just a bit obvious posting facts, aren't you?:badgrin:

Makes it sound a little closer then you make it seem. Besides, wouldn't rely on a poll exactly considering location and whether Democrats or Republicans were oversampled.

What fucking bullshit. McCain supporters made this point a thousand times during the elections, and we were batted down every time. We actually turned out to be WRONG, but now you're trying to feed us our own regurgitation? Give me a break. If the election proved anything, polls CAN be right.

Actually no, if this election proved anything then polls can be wrong. Obama and NH anyone?

Say what you REALLY mean. If the poll doesn't slam Bush, but DOES slam Obama, it has to be wrong.

You are both off.

Odd how you lefties didn't want to hear THAT two months ago and for the 8 years prior if the poll bashed Bush. GMAFB.

You parrots are TOO obvious.

Wow, the sore losers till can't get over their loss to Obama.

You are both off.

Odd how you lefties didn't want to hear THAT two months ago and for the 8 years prior if the poll bashed Bush. GMAFB.

NOW GUNNY, do not remind these twofaced fascists of their double standards.

You are both off.

:eusa_eh:

Of course things are subject to change it's politics ....

But now that you mention it we neglected to discuss how polls can show trends too. A bunch of highly accurate "snapshots" show a trend.

Poll after poll after poll showed Bush's approval rating tanking. It was a trend.

Poll after poll showed Obama running away with the race. It was a trend.

And I consistently argued in favor the accuracy of the election polls (when analyzed correctly) while all the righties were desperately clinging to the idea that democrats were being undersampled and the polls were biased. THEY WERE WRONG.

And if Obama's approval ratings trend downwards (which I expect them to) I'm not going suddenly change my position on polling because it suits me.

NOW GUNNY, do not remind these twofaced fascists of their double standards.

What double standard?

Provide proof of MY SPECIFIC double standard here or retract your dumbass remark.

Is your name in my quote? Didn't think so. In fact you hadn't posted yet at all when I posted that. But hey you keep believing everything is directed at you.

A new Washington Post-ABC News poll shows that 53 percent of Americans said the United States should shutter the controversial facility in Cuba and find another way to deal with the prisoners there. But 42 percent of those polled, including 69 percent of Republicans, said terrorism suspects should remain at the prison. Most Democrats (68 percent) and independents (55 percent) said they would prefer another way to handle the detainees.

Feb 3, 2009 ... Only 35 percent of voters polled approve of Obama rescinding the ban. ... disagree not because it involves abortion but because it involves foreign aid.

Are we actually giving them anymore money?

Is your name in my quote? Didn't think so. In fact you hadn't posted yet at all when I posted that. But hey you keep believing everything is directed at you.

As a matter of fact it was.

You responded to a comment Gunny made DIRECTLY to jillian and I ... and quite rudely I might add.

I can understand you ducking the challenge though. You know you don't have a leg to stand on.

:eusa_eh:

Of course things are subject to change it's politics ....

But now that you mention it we neglected to discuss how polls can show trends too. A bunch of highly accurate "snapshots" show a trend.

Poll after poll after poll showed Bush's approval rating tanking. It was a trend.

Poll after poll showed Obama running away with the race. It was a trend.

And I consistently argued in favor the accuracy of the election polls (when analyzed correctly) while all the righties were desperately clinging to the idea that democrats were being undersampled and the polls were biased. THEY WERE WRONG.

And if Obama's approval ratings trend downwards (which I expect them to) I'm not going suddenly change my position on polling because it suits me.

I'll stand by my take on polls ... they're worthless and reflect what the pollsters want them too based on tailored questions.

Which has nothing to do with the lefties on this board pushing poll after poll, no matter which elementary school class was polled, as long as it said "Bush - Bad."

Now suddenly we want to caveat them and explain all the nuances when they say "His Darlingness" fucked up.

Rather obvious. That.

I'll stand by my take on polls ... they're worthless and reflect what the pollsters want them too based on tailored questions.

Which has nothing to do with the lefties on this board pushing poll after poll, no matter which elementary school class was polled, as long as it said "Bush - Bad."

Now suddenly we want to caveat them and explain all the nuances when they say "His Darlingness" fucked up.

Rather obvious. That.

And that's fine, I can respect your opinion on polls. I didn't respond in this thread to spin things in favor of Obama all I did was give my opinion on polls. The same opinion I had a year ago, two, etc. and will likely have in the future. You never know ... the polls could change ...

As a matter of fact it was.

You responded to a comment Gunny made DIRECTLY to jillian and I ... and quite rudely I might add.

I can understand you ducking the challenge though. You know you don't have a leg to stand on.

I take nothing back Jillian and Robert were quite vocal during the election period on how accurate and truthful polls always were. Now they want to claim they don't really mean what they say. Why? Because they go against his highness.

Forum List

Back