Poll: 57% support DADT repeal..

Cal

Since 2010™
Jan 4, 2010
Right behind you!
Poll: 57 percent support 'Don't ask, don't tell' repeal - Andy Barr - POLITICO.com

A majority of Americans believe gays should be allowed to serve openly in the military, according to a new Quinnipiac poll out Wednesday.

Fifty-seven percent of the 2,617 registered voters surveyed nationwide said they support a repeal of "Don’t ask, don’t tell." Thirty-six percent back the current policy.

Even more, 66 percent, said the policy banning gays from serving openly in the military is “discrimination.”

And 82 percent think the military should “stop pursuing disciplinary action against gays who are outed against their will,” while 65 percent do not believe that ending the policy will be “divisive” in military ranks or hinder any ability to fight effectively.

“By a solid margin, American voters say go ahead and allow gays to openly serve in the military,” said Peter A. Brown, assistant director of the Quinnipiac University Polling Institute.

But the poll shows that Americans are not sure what route the military should take to end the policy, which President Barack Obama has vowed to do.

Those surveyed were split on whether straight military personnel should have to share quarters with gay members, with 45 percent saying “yes” and 46 percent answering “no.”

Half of those polled also said the partners of gay personnel should not receive military benefits provided to the spouses of straight men and women in the military.

The poll was conducted Feb. 2-8 and has a margin of error of 1.9 percentage points.

Read more: Poll: 57 percent support 'Don't ask, don't tell' repeal - Andy Barr - POLITICO.com

Another thing the Right has ignored the Public Opinion on..REPEAL DADT NOW!

$~4537782__1265736420_7835.jpg

Poll: 57 percent support 'Don't ask, don't tell' repeal - Andy Barr - POLITICO.com

A majority of Americans believe gays should be allowed to serve openly in the military, according to a new Quinnipiac poll out Wednesday.

Fifty-seven percent of the 2,617 registered voters surveyed nationwide said they support a repeal of "Don’t ask, don’t tell." Thirty-six percent back the current policy.

Even more, 66 percent, said the policy banning gays from serving openly in the military is “discrimination.”

And 82 percent think the military should “stop pursuing disciplinary action against gays who are outed against their will,” while 65 percent do not believe that ending the policy will be “divisive” in military ranks or hinder any ability to fight effectively.

“By a solid margin, American voters say go ahead and allow gays to openly serve in the military,” said Peter A. Brown, assistant director of the Quinnipiac University Polling Institute.

But the poll shows that Americans are not sure what route the military should take to end the policy, which President Barack Obama has vowed to do.

Those surveyed were split on whether straight military personnel should have to share quarters with gay members, with 45 percent saying “yes” and 46 percent answering “no.”

Half of those polled also said the partners of gay personnel should not receive military benefits provided to the spouses of straight men and women in the military.

The poll was conducted Feb. 2-8 and has a margin of error of 1.9 percentage points.

Read more: Poll: 57 percent support 'Don't ask, don't tell' repeal - Andy Barr - POLITICO.com

57% of the American people haven't served in Uniform. How about a poll of veterans and active duty people. I think you will find way different results. Of course I could be wrong; but if they favor it they will also favor a separate Pink Brigade.

57% of the American people haven't served in Uniform. How about a poll of veterans and active duty people. I think you will find way different results. Of course I could be wrong; but if they favor it they will also favor a separate Pink Brigade.

‘Don’t ask’ survey published - Air Force News, news from Iraq - Air Force Times

Opposition to gays serving openly in the military has declined sharply among those wearing the uniform today.

An exclusive survey of some 3,000 active-duty troops shows such opposition has fallen sharply from nearly two-thirds (65 percent) in 2004 to about half (51 percent) today. The survey results appear Monday in Army Times, Air Force Times, Navy Times and Marine Corps Times.

Within three years, the numbers will be even lower than that.

Results of the survey were released after Adm. Mike Mullen, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, told Congress it is time to end the law banning open service by gays and the military’s “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy that derives from the law.

I respectfully disagree with the notion that the opinion of the military should drive this issue. The military works for the American people, not the other way around.

If we should base what action we take, If any, based on a poll of those affected, We should make sure that the 48million without Healthcare are the ones that decide if we get REAL health reform or not. Don't like that idea so much now do you?

If we should base what action we take, If any, based on a poll of those affected, We should make sure that the 48million without Healthcare are the ones that decide if we get REAL health reform or not. Don't like that idea so much now do you?

We'll let the 85% who buy health care and pay their way decide if they want to pay for you guys who don't pay your way. That will work.

‘Don’t ask’ survey published - Air Force News, news from Iraq - Air Force Times

Opposition to gays serving openly in the military has declined sharply among those wearing the uniform today.

An exclusive survey of some 3,000 active-duty troops shows such opposition has fallen sharply from nearly two-thirds (65 percent) in 2004 to about half (51 percent) today. The survey results appear Monday in Army Times, Air Force Times, Navy Times and Marine Corps Times.

Within three years, the numbers will be even lower than that.

Results of the survey were released after Adm. Mike Mullen, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, told Congress it is time to end the law banning open service by gays and the military’s “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy that derives from the law.

Did you bother to look up the actual poll to see exactly what it said? No you didn't.

11. All in all, do you strongly favor, favor, oppose, or strongly oppose allowing gays and lesbians to serve openly in the military?
Strongly favor 14.5%
Favor 15%
Neutral 18.7%
Oppose 14.2%
Strongly oppose 36.8%
Decline to answer 0.8%

So 29.5% favor

51% are opposed

and 18.7 % haven't a clue how they feel.

Things that make you go hmmmm......

Less than 30% of active duty troops favor repealing DADT. There are the cold hard facts.

Did you bother to look up the actual poll to see exactly what it said? No you didn't.

11. All in all, do you strongly favor, favor, oppose, or strongly oppose allowing gays and lesbians to serve openly in the military?
Strongly favor 14.5%
Favor 15%
Neutral 18.7%
Oppose 14.2%
Strongly oppose 36.8%
Decline to answer 0.8%

So 29.5% favor

51% are opposed

Less than 30% of active duty troops favor repealing DADT. There are the cold hard facts.

18.7% just don't care if they are allowed in. If you want to spin the poll to try and suit your bigotry, be my guest.

Strongly favor 14.5%
Favor 15%
Neutral 18.7%
Oppose 14.2%
Strongly oppose 36.8%
Decline to answer 0.8%

So 29.5% favor

51% are opposed

18.7% just don't care if they are allowed in. If you want to spin the poll to try and suit your bigotry, be my guest.

Those of you who have never served, and probably never will, should actually just keep your noses out of military business. Because it really doesn't affect you or your personal life one bit. It does affect that young troop who may have to live with and share a shower with a homosexual of the same sex.

I wouldn't wish that on any of our troops.

You can call me a bigot but I'm sorry it just isn't right.

And since I have been there, and since i do have a gay family member. I can take any stance on the subject i want. And hey, I guess I'm more qualified than you are. Unless of course you are coming out of the closet. Then you got me on that one.

Those of you who have never served, and probably never will, should actually just keep your noses out of military business. Because it really doesn't affect you or your personal life one bit. It does affect that young troop who may have to live with and share a shower with a homosexual of the same sex.

And since I have been there, and since i do have a gay family member. I can take any stance on the subject i want. And hey, I guess I'm more qualified than you are. Unless of course you are coming out of the closet. Then you got me on that one.

You keep using the card "For those of you who haven't served in the military." Except a good number of people in this board have served and do want it repealed. So your card isn't bulletproof.

And yes, I am calling you a bigot. What do you think is going on? A homosexual is going to spend his entire time in the shower eyeing up the rest of the guys? :eusa_eh:

I don't care if you have a gay family member. So does Alan Keyes, he threw his Lesbian daughter out of their home too. You can take any stance you want, but be ready to accept the reaction of taking such a position.

this should be left up to the military and its leader, not public opinion polls

You keep using the card "For those of you who haven't served in the military." Except a good number of people in this board have served and do want it repealed. So your card isn't bulletproof.

And yes, I am calling you a bigot. What do you think is going on? A homosexual is going to spend his entire time in the shower eyeing up the rest of the guys? :eusa_eh:

I don't care if you have a gay family member. So does Alan Keyes, he threw his Lesbian daughter out of their home too. You can take any stance you want, but be ready to accept the reaction of taking such a position.

Yet the poll shows that the majority of active duty are against repealing DADT. So call me whatever you want. I am joined by over half of our armed forces. I'm in great company.

this should be left up to the military and its leader, not public opinion polls

By leader meaning whome?..If it's President Obama, Adm. Mullen or Robert Gates..Well DADT should be repealed..In your opinion and mine.

I respectfully disagree with the notion that the opinion of the military should drive this issue. The military works for the American people, not the other way around.

The military is charged with the task of defending the U.S. It is up to the civilian authorities to decide what is and what is not within that brief.
But it is the military's duty to be able to carry out that task. They do not need civilians second guessing how they do things. Anything that would detract from the military's mission is by definition within the purview of the military to decide. They should be the ones to say whether admitting gays would enhance or detract from their mission.

You'll have to excuse Lefty, he/she believes that Lincoln was a democrat.

The military is charged with the task of defending the U.S. It is up to the civilian authorities to decide what is and what is not within that brief.
But it is the military's duty to be able to carry out that task. They do not need civilians second guessing how they do things. Anything that would detract from the military's mission is by definition within the purview of the military to decide. They should be the ones to say whether admitting gays would enhance or detract from their mission.

That same talking point has been used to try and bar almost any non-white male from military service.

The military works for the citizenry. The citizenry elects the leaders, the leaders make the decisions.

I just don't get this issue. If some gay dude wants to risk his life in Afghanistan, instead of opening a flower shop in Greenwich Village, what's the problem? Why should he be forced to keep the fact that he's into dudes a secret while he's serving his country? Should other guys who are into Asian chicks also keep quiet? What about white guys who have jungle fever?

Seriously, let them fight, if they get to chummy just tell them to back off, have to think there are far more intimidating people in the military than a bunch of soldiers who are into show tunes.

I just don't get this issue. If some gay dude wants to risk his life in Afghanistan, instead of opening a flower shop in Greenwich Village, what's the problem? Why should he be forced to keep the fact that he's into dudes a secret while he's serving his country? Should other guys who are into Asian chicks also keep quiet? What about white guys who have jungle fever?

Seriously, let them fight, if they get to chummy just tell them to back off, have to think there are far more intimidating people in the military than a bunch of soldiers who are into show tunes.

Like I said, you go live with em and share a shower. I and over half of the military prefer not to.

Forum List

Back