Politics 101

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liberal15

Rookie
May 20, 2012
Hey guy's I am 16 and im just getting into politics, from what I have read I believe I am a Liberal. I always argue with my friends who are very far right and they talk about the social programs and how none of them are run efficiently. I don't know enough to stand my ground but one point that they bring up is about Social Security and how people should have been responsible enough to save there money and not have the government do it for them.

Thought's?

Hey guy's I am 16 and im just getting into politics, from what I have read I believe I am a Liberal. I always argue with my friends who are very far right and they talk about the social programs and how none of them are run efficiently. I don't know enough to stand my ground but one point that they bring up is about Social Security and how people should have been responsible enough to save there money and not have the government do it for them.

Thought's?

I'm sure you'll get a lot of feedback, but I'll just tell you three things:

First, it's nice to see someone your age becoming politically aware and asking questions.

Second, as I've taught my kids, question everything you hear, even the things you agree with. Remember to get both sides of any story and think it through before making up your mind on something.

Third, there is no rule that says you have to agree with your side of the political spectrum on everything. If you disagree, say so. Don't be a sheep, keep your mind open and challenge everything.

Good luck!

Thought's?

Disagreeing with how social programs are run doesn't make one "very far right". Please try to remove that judgement from your opinion.

Welcome to the board.

If people had been responible enough to save for their retirement, there never would have been a need for Social Security.

:lol:

You don't know enough to stand your ground b/c social programs are worth a crap and all have failed at what they intended to do.

It takes a stern belief in utter lies to think otherwise.

You need to ask yourself if you want to provide for yourself in this life or you want the government to do it for you. Social Security would have been acceptable if it has stayed and been used as first intended, it like many other government programs have been pillaged and left broke.

You don't have to be Far Right or Far Left, you can lean Right or Left. I myself am a fiscal (money related) conservative but a social (friends, people, families, interests, personal choices, etc.) liberal.

You can be in the middle and still be OK, you don't have to choose left or right. Glad to see you taking an interest in how things work in the real world.

Welcome!!

Last edited:
I don't think the welfare system should be removed, however it has been abused and needs some serious revamping to be affordable.

Should a person that gets high on drugs be eligible for welfare?? If he can get money for drugs, why can't he work??

• Banned

Thought's?

Disagreeing with how social programs are run doesn't make one "very far right". Please try to remove that judgement from your opinion.

Welcome to the board.

They have many other far right opinion's I used Social Security as 1 example

I don't think the welfare system should be removed, however it has been abused and needs some serious revamping to be affordable.

Should a person that gets high on drugs be eligible for welfare?? If he can get money for drugs, why can't he work??

That's where the War on Drugs got the whole thing ass backwards. They drug tested workers and left the welfare population alone, so a lot of people left the work force for the welfare life. Marijuana, the least harmful drug of the lot and which gradually became the most expensive, stays in the system longer and is easier to detect, so they quit smoking pot and moved to cheaper drugs like cocaine and prescription drugs.

Today, more people die of prescription drug overdoses than in car wrecks.

The government actually took a minor problem and made it a major problem.

Last edited:
If people had been responible enough to save for their retirement, there never would have been a need for Social Security.

In other words, I have to pay your bills because you are stupid and irresponsible?

Is that some kind of liberal moral principle?

Thought's?

Welcome to the board.

They have many other far right opinion's I used Social Security as 1 example

Perhaps it would be better if you told of some of what you believe instead of what your friends believe. Disagreeing with spending money recklessly doesn't make you far right, it kind of makes you question why a hammer could cost the government $300.00.

I'll make a deal with SocSecurity:

Let me have full ownership of my account to invest it as I please, and the government will never pay me another nickel.

Thought's?

Do yourself a huge favor, check this out first before you "label" yourself anything.

Libertarian Party | Maximum Freedom, Minimum Government

There is more out there than Republican and Democrat.

Thought's?

Welcome to the board.

As I read the original poster, his friends want to eliminate social security. That would make them very far right indeed: WSJ/NBC News Poll Finds Support Lacking for Entitlement Reductions - WSJ.com

Anyway, as the poster says, his or her characterization of them as far right never rested solely on their views on social security.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back