Political leanings status check

Discussion in 'Politics' started by manifold, Oct 16, 2009.

1. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,734
    I'm never sure where I stand on the political spectrum(s) because my positions overall seem to be all over the place. I've taken that ideology thingy a few times that plots you on two dimensions (Social: libertarian/authoritarian and Economic: left/right) and I always end up pretty close to the center. dead-center for economic and usually slightly libertarian on the social. But I think that thing is bunk and I really don't think the questions they ask are particularly good. For example I don't see any reason why one's views on global warming should have anything to do with political ideology scores.

Anyway, here is a short list of some of the very general positions I hold.

- I support having a strong military for defense. I do not support using it to bully foreign nations or to invade countries that aren't a real threat.

- I oppose the Patriot Act

- I'm anti-abortion but pro-choice. (meaning I think it's morally reprehensible in the abstract, but I don't think it's any of my business if someone I don't know wants to have one)

- I'd vote to legalize marijuana.

- In general, I oppose any and all laws that restrict individual rights unless there is a VERY compelling need to do so. And I think 99.99% of those are already covered.

- I fully support the 2nd Amendment right of INDIVDUALS to bear arms.

- In general, I oppose government wealth redistribution unless there is a VERY compelling need for it. And I think 99.99% of those are already covered... and then some.

- I would vote to legalize gay marriage, however I do not buy into the argument that it's already a constitutional right.

So what does this say about my ideological leanings?

2. PLYMCO_PILGRIM

PLYMCO_PILGRIM Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,863
    It explains why you and I dont seem to fight on political topics. That is how I feel too on those issues you talked about.

A pictoral discription of where I stand

[​IMG]

3. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,734
    So am I/(we) right-wing, left-wing, conservative, liberal, moderate, etc...?

4. PLYMCO_PILGRIM

PLYMCO_PILGRIM Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,863
    In my opinion you are an American. That means you dont go for party politics first, you go for what you believe to be right regardless of where a party may tell you to stand on an issue.

Not much more needed to describe you politically ;).

Now those far right/far left people....well we should all put them in a cage and sell the fight on pay per view. :)

5. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,734
    The main event on the inaugural card would have to be Ravi vs Pubes. :lol:

6. Charles Stucker

Charles Stucker Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +225
    I'm a bit off of your position
    I believe we need only enough military to defend our coasts from invasion and repel aircraft from our airspace.
    I'm strongly against welfare and socialized medicine.
    I want social security phased out - no more "separate payments" and no one added to the eligible - recall that if you have paid into social security you are currently eligible for whatever you have already "earned"
    The only way I would legalize drugs would be if it included a provision to make providing to minors a capital offense as my ultimate goal would be to decrease drug use in America by preventing childhood addicts.
    I would make Abuse of Public Office capital treason.

7. uptownlivin90

uptownlivin90 Rebelious Youngin

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +384
    I'm pretty much the same. I'm more liberal on some economic issues. But overall, I'm very pro-gun, pro-gay marriage, pro-defense, I'm some what of a warhawk when I feel like being one, anti-patriot act, pro-marijuana, I'm anti-welfare but pro social programs. I don't like just giving money away... but I'm in favor a programs meant to insure working people have certain rights. People who are all over the place with their ideas are generally better thinkers then those who just stick with one ideology.

8. nodoginnafight

nodoginnafight No Party Affiliation

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,497
    - I support having a strong military for defense. I do not support using it to bully foreign nations or to invade countries that aren't a real threat.

I agree 100% here

- I oppose the Patriot Act
    I agree here

- I'm anti-abortion but pro-choice. (meaning I think it's morally reprehensible in the abstract, but I don't think it's any of my business if someone I don't know wants to have one)
    I'm anti-abortion - not for religious reasons although I am a Christian. I oppose it because I believe fetuses are human beings who deserve protection under our legal system

- I'd vote to legalize marijuana.
    I probably would too

- In general, I oppose any and all laws that restrict individual rights unless there is a VERY compelling need to do so. And I think 99.99% of those are already covered.
    I think the need comes and goes. Scrap the ones we don't need anymore, write new ones to reflect current conditions

- I fully support the 2nd Amendment right of INDIVDUALS to bear arms.
    I'd vote to repeal the 2nd Amendment

- In general, I oppose government wealth redistribution unless there is a VERY compelling need for it. And I think 99.99% of those are already covered... and then some.
    Too complex for me to cover here - I agree about 80% with you

- I would vote to legalize gay marriage, however I do not buy into the argument that it's already a constitutional right.
    I think it is already protected. I know some have successfully argued in court that it is NOT an equal protection issue - but I disagree with them.

I believe in a balanced budget or even a small surplus budget (right now)

I believe campaign finance reform is THE most important issue facing us right now that NO ONE is talking about.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  9. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,774
    Wow, you're a left wing lunatic.

10. auditor0007

auditor0007 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,218
    It simply shows that you are not an ideologue.