Police State: 'Homeland Security' Monitoring Internet For 'Anti-Government' Sentiment

paulitician

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2011
It's not just 'Crazy Paranoia.' They are watching, and some of their employees do likely frequent this very Board. Thank God for a group like the 'Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC)'.

An electronic privacy group has convinced lawmakers to hold hearings next week to look into the Department of Homeland Security's practice of monitoring social media and other news and information Web sites like the Drudge Report. The hearings are the result of findings by the Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC), which obtained nearly 300 pages of documents as a result of a Freedom of Information Act lawsuit detailing DHS' "information gathering" practices online.

In particular, the documents show that the department instructed private contractors to monitor the Web for media reports and other information that "reflect adversely" on DHS and the federal government. "The Department of Homeland Security’s monitoring of political dissent has no legal basis and is contrary to core First Amendment principles," EPIC director Ginger McCall said, according to a report at Infowars.com, a watchdog site.

"The language in the documents makes it quite clear that they are looking for media reports that are critical of the agency and the U.S. government more broadly," she added. "This is entirely outside of the bounds of the agency’s statutory duties." A Reuters report in January noted that DHS was monitoring social media Web sites including Facebook, Twitter, Hulu, WikiLeaks. The report also said DHS was monitoring "news and gossip sites including the Huffington Post and Drudge Report."

According to government documents, the purpose of the monitoring was to "collect information used in providing situational awareness and establishing a common operating picture." An unnamed DHS official quoted by Reuters said the program was benign, and that it was only intended to keep abreast of major, developing events to which the department and its various agencies would have to respond.

EPIC's McCall dismissed that explanation.

"They are completely out of bounds here," she said, according to Infowars.com. "The idea that the government is constantly peering over your shoulder and listening to what you are saying creates a very chilling effect to legitimate dissent."

The House Committee on Homeland Security's subcommittee on Counterterrorism and Intelligence has scheduled a hearing Feb. 16 to discuss the DHS monitoring.

NewsRoomAmerica.com - Group Forces Hearing on Homeland Security Web Monitoring
DRUDGE REPORT 2012®

Last edited:
no kidding. are you surprised the govt monitors the internet?

i prefer the nanny state posts to the police state posts

Sounds like something the Iranian government would do.

We do it much better. We are far more technologically advanced than they are. They're just Rookies still learning from us. No one spies on their own People more thoroughly than Western Powers like the U.S.,Great Britain,and France. China & Iran don't even come close.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrJ551FFWp0&feature=player_embedded]Anonymous Message To The State of Israel - YouTube[/ame]

I don't think the freedom of speech come with a freedom from being heard clause does it?

Publish something in the public domain and everyone can see it. Now when they start intruding into private e-mails and phone calls you might have a point.

It's not just 'Crazy Paranoia.' They are watching, and some of their employees do likely frequent this very Board. Thank God for a group like the 'Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC)'.

An electronic privacy group has convinced lawmakers to hold hearings next week to look into the Department of Homeland Security's practice of monitoring social media and other news and information Web sites like the Drudge Report. The hearings are the result of findings by the Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC), which obtained nearly 300 pages of documents as a result of a Freedom of Information Act lawsuit detailing DHS' "information gathering" practices online.

In particular, the documents show that the department instructed private contractors to monitor the Web for media reports and other information that "reflect adversely" on DHS and the federal government. "The Department of Homeland Security’s monitoring of political dissent has no legal basis and is contrary to core First Amendment principles," EPIC director Ginger McCall said, according to a report at Infowars.com, a watchdog site.

"The language in the documents makes it quite clear that they are looking for media reports that are critical of the agency and the U.S. government more broadly," she added. "This is entirely outside of the bounds of the agency’s statutory duties." A Reuters report in January noted that DHS was monitoring social media Web sites including Facebook, Twitter, Hulu, WikiLeaks. The report also said DHS was monitoring "news and gossip sites including the Huffington Post and Drudge Report."

According to government documents, the purpose of the monitoring was to "collect information used in providing situational awareness and establishing a common operating picture." An unnamed DHS official quoted by Reuters said the program was benign, and that it was only intended to keep abreast of major, developing events to which the department and its various agencies would have to respond.

EPIC's McCall dismissed that explanation.

"They are completely out of bounds here," she said, according to Infowars.com. "The idea that the government is constantly peering over your shoulder and listening to what you are saying creates a very chilling effect to legitimate dissent."

The House Committee on Homeland Security's subcommittee on Counterterrorism and Intelligence has scheduled a hearing Feb. 16 to discuss the DHS monitoring.

NewsRoomAmerica.com - Group Forces Hearing on Homeland Security Web Monitoring
DRUDGE REPORT 2012®

I know they are.......

Trust me, they plan on using aerial drones here in the Chicago area to spy on people and enforce laws.....

It's only a matter of time before they will microchip us. Of course they will claim "it's for our own good" or "for Obamacare convenience" - you know - so they can scan you and get your medical records just to make sure you're medically clear to buy a cheeseburger..

Obama has a whole group of people, working out of the White House, who are monitoring internet websites and message boards for "dissidents". This has been going on for awhile now.

Time to change his name to "Adolph Obama". I wonder if Barack can grow the same kind of faggot moustache that Hitler did.

I like typing random keywords like BOMB... TERRORIST...PRESIDENT ...and such or saying them randomly on the cell phone...."hi honey ..."BOMB"..just wondering if you need anything from the store.."TERRORIST."..ok I will be home soon.."PRESIDENT"..

good times !

I like typing random keywords like BOMB... TERRORIST...PRESIDENT ...and such or saying them randomly on the cell phone...."hi honey ..."BOMB"..just wondering if you need anything from the store.."TERRORIST."..ok I will be home soon.."PRESIDENT"..

good times !

:eek: Expect a visit from Obama's Henchmen any day now.

Obama has a whole group of people, working out of the White House, who are monitoring internet websites and message boards for "dissidents". This has been going on for awhile now.

Time to change his name to "Adolph Obama". I wonder if Barack can grow the same kind of faggot moustache that Hitler did.

This policy started under Bush.

This is what I mean about benchmarks. If you let the guy on your team get away with something just because he has the right party letter after his name, you aren't thinking ahead to the day the other guy will be handed the keys to the kingdom.

Look at this, from 2002: Bush Administration to Propose System for Monitoring Internet - NYTimes.com

This policy started under Bush.

This is what I mean about benchmarks. If you let the guy on your team get away with something just because he has the right party letter after his name, you aren't thinking ahead to the day the other guy will be handed the keys to the kingdom.

Look at this, from 2002: Bush Administration to Propose System for Monitoring Internet - NYTimes.com

Very good point.

Now that OBAMA is doing it, oh my god! He's Hitler!

So next time someone is pointing out an abuse of federal power, before you give a sarcastic partisan yawn, think.

Yeah. Think.

It hurts at first. But no pain, no gain.

Did you wet yourself when you heard this? Your scary stories are getting old. Act as if you own a pair if you really want to play activist.

So next time someone is pointing out an abuse of federal power, before you give a sarcastic partisan yawn, think.

Yeah. Think.

It's the Two-Party System. It reduces most Americans to partisan 'Go Team Go!' Cheerleaders. Most are very willing to defend the indefensible when it comes to defending their team. We need more options in this country. The Two-Party scam is destroying our Nation.

Yeah. Think.

It's the Two-Party System. It reduces most Americans to partisan 'Go Team Go!' Cheerleaders. Most are very willing to defend the indefensible when it comes to defending their team. We need more options in this country. The Two-Party scam is destroying our Nation.
Well, Paulitician BOMB you really are TERRORIST bringing up some FASCIST GOVERNMENT excellent points KILL KILL KILL this time.

Forum List

Back