Police State: City Shuts Down Hot Dog Stand Boy Opened To Help Disabled Parents...

I'm actually surprised Big Brother didn't arrest the poor kid. That's how low our Nation has sunk. But oh well, Big Brother is keeping us safe form those evil 13yr. old hotdog cart owners. And we should all be very grateful to him for that.

The idea of a child assisting his parents shall not be tolerated. We have dependency programs for that.

I'm just curious, would you at least allow DISABLED adults to get a little help from the government if they didn't have 13 year olds to put to work to help them survive?

Or is that too much 'dependency' too?

I dont take issue with giving the poor assistance. I take strong issue with the way the programs are managed. UNDERSTAND.

I would also venture a guess the family is already on some type of assistance. I would think that should be a given.

I'm actually surprised Big Brother didn't arrest the poor kid. That's how low our Nation has sunk. But oh well, Big Brother is keeping us safe form those evil 13yr. old hotdog cart owners. And we should all be very grateful to him for that.

The idea of a child assisting his parents shall not be tolerated. We have dependency programs for that.

I'm just curious, would you at least allow DISABLED adults to get a little help from the government if they didn't have 13 year olds to put to work to help them survive?

Disability is not what you think it is, it's barely enough to survive. I don't object to helping the disabled and I don't object to a 13 year old working to help the family either. By helping the family he is also helping himself. Didn't you hear him say he wanted to save up some money to go to college? How do you think he's going to get to college now? Pell grants don't pay for a whole semester in most colleges.

The kid should not have quit, he could of found more spots to vend at.

He's 13 years old, the spot was in front of a friend's business and across the street from city hall, a "safe" place that his parents agreed. Would you want your 13 year old setting up a hot dog stand just anywhere?

In 2010 Holland, Michigan was ranked as the 2nd most healthy/happy city in America. Maybe you should mind your own business and let them run their city the way they want to. They seem to be doing extraordinarily well on their own,

without any outsider meddling from Paulbot crackpots.

Must the beer, nacho cheese and massive doses of Prozac..

No, it's because they're largely of Dutch ancestry, like me.

I still find it puzzling why the self proclaimed libertarians around here want to tell these people how to manage their own community.

We're in constant contact with our besieged colleagues in Holland Mich. And we're recruiting 12 and 13 yr olds into the party to save labor costs on mailings. Twit...

Only thing I saw in Solvang, Ca (another dutch community) were bakeries and sausage vendors.. But I understand the healthy part. I wouldn't eat much for the days I was in Holland. Only place in the world that serves fried baloney sandwiches out of vending machines everywhere you look.. :tongue:

We're in constant contact with our besieged colleagues in Holland Mich. And we're recruiting 12 and 13 yr olds into the party to save labor costs on mailings. Twit...

Only thing I saw in Solvang, Ca (another dutch community) were bakeries and sausage vendors.. But I understand the healthy part. I wouldn't eat much for the days I was in Holland. Only place in the world that serves fried baloney sandwiches out of vending machines everywhere you look.. :tongue:

Isn't bologna actually an Italian sausage?

Such a big heart ole Big Brother has, huh?

This summer, 13-year-old Nathan Duszynski wanted to make some money to help out his disabled parents—his mom has epilepsy and his dad has multiple sclerosis. So he decided to open a hot dog stand. He saved $1,200, mostly money made by mowing lawns and shoveling snow. He checked with the city to make sure he didn't need any licenses or permits, even going to city hall in person with his mom. And then he bought a cart. (Yep, that's hot dogs from Nathan's, for those who are keeping score at home.)

He arrived to set up shop on his first day and 10 minutes later, a zoning official arrived to shut him down. The problem: The cart, which is in the parking lot of a sporting goods store, is on the edge of official downtown commercial district of Holland, Michigan. The city bans food carts in that area in order to minimize competition for the eight tax-paying restaurants a couple of blocks away.

As it happens, I've been to Holland. It's a lovely town, but not exactly a booming metropolis. And frankly (ha!), after an evening of Blue Motorcycles Butch's Dry Dock, a hot dog would really have hit the spot. The city says it is willing to work with Nathan, but keeping food carts out of the small, walkable downtown area is pretty much the same thing as banning food carts altogether. Nathan and his family obviously know that: The hot dog cart is now for sale.

The Mackinac Center has made a nice little video about the ridiculous story:

City Shuts Down Teen's Hot Dog Vendor Cart! - YouTube

Progressives think big government is fantastic...... This is the shit byproduct we get from it.

Then again progressives hate capitalism so I'm sure they're happy a kid got shut down embracing capitalism.... It be no fair if an intelligent young man made more than they did...

When I was 7-8 I grew a garden and sold my vegetables door to door with my "vegie wagon" to make money for fishing bait and accessories.. Cops even bought my vegetables....

It's sad to think that a kid that had the same drive as I had would be shut down..

This is the United States of America is it not??

Last edited:
When I was 7-8 I grew a garden and sold my vegetables door to door with my "vegie wagon" to make money for fishing bait and accessories.. Cops even bought my vegetables....

It's sad to think that a kid that had the same drive as I had would be shut down..

This is the United States of America is it not??

Today you would be tazed first, then taken to jail. UNLESS you know Spanish, then it's all cool.

What's to understand? He checked with the city to make sure it was okay, they said it was, he did it, they came back and said it wasn't okay. The city wasted his time and money by giving him the wrong information.

No they didn't. They sent to where the permits are issued.

Were you reading or watching a different story than I was? The asked the city if they needed a permit or anything and the person they talked to said "no".

That story was not true.

Let me ask you a simple question that I know you'll dodge:

If they didn't need to buy a permit, why did they buy one? For $208?

Were you reading or watching a different story than I was? The asked the city if they needed a permit or anything and the person they talked to said "no".

That story was not true.

have they ever posted anything true?

Disability is not what you think it is, it's barely enough to survive. I don't object to helping the disabled and I don't object to a 13 year old working to help the family either. By helping the family he is also helping himself. Didn't you hear him say he wanted to save up some money to go to college? How do you think he's going to get to college now? Pell grants don't pay for a whole semester in most colleges.

How do kids who don't run hotdog stands go to college?

btw, if his parents are that poor he'll get plenty of help with education costs, much to the chagrin, of course,

of conservatives.

That story was not true.

have they ever posted anything true?

The most amazing thing about rightwingers is, they aren't content to stick to the truth on stories where the truth is good for them, politically.

They fuck with every story. They're perfect examples of that old line your grandparents used to use about someone who'd rather climb a tree to tell a lie than stay on the ground to tell the truth.

The big problem for me, was that he checked first, and was given a Green Light. That is poor form. He should be reimbursed all expenses. Maybe the City Council could buy the Cart at Cost, and then Shut Themselves down the first time they use it, paying double fines. :D Assholes.

I know - it sucks that the kid was out trying to gather cash for his disabled parents and later education. It's not "fair" that the city gave him all the right information except for not telling him all the places he COULDN'T run his business. But, it isn't the job of some clerk to go into all the legal ways the kid could be stopped. I think it's ridiculous to take the position that the city should be held accountable for the costs associated with a failed start up due to current zoning laws. I feel for Nathan, but he failed to ask all the right questions.

Laws don't magically appear - people ask for them or reject them. If this law is unfair, it should be repealed by the same process that got it enacted in the first place - that's just how we do things.

Tell me something, which people asked for a law that bans competition for restaurants?

Do me a favor, stop pretending that your stupid blather makes sense to anyone else. You might be older than my cat, but you definitely are not wiser. Being wise does not mean telling people that laws exist for a reason, it means using judgement to discern right and wrong. If you use that judgement, and actually figure out that a law is wrong, you do not then blather about how we do things and how people complaining about laws is ridiculous. How we do things is complain. those restaurants complained that the sidewalks outside their front door were icy, and got the city to put in heaters for the sidewalks. That was wrong, the city should have told them icy sidewalks are a normal part of winter when you live in that part of the country. Now, because they complained, they want to prevent other people from selling food.

Asshole.

Jane, you ignorant slut.

You slightly misinterpreted what I said. Let me explain - I'll type slowly because I know you don't read very fast.

Point 1 - laws like this one are made all the time. They favor whoever asks for them. They aren't "right" or "wrong". Simply beneficial for whichever party asks for them at the time.

Point 2 - local ordinances usually have a public meeting associated with them. If 6 local businesses asked for a law that was met by the outrage of 2 thousand tax payers and potential voters, it's kind of questionable whether the ordinance could be enacted. I'm guessing here that wasn't the case.

Point 3 - complaints got the law enacted, votes may be required to get it repealed. Bitching about it in the press gets a little attention but wouldn't help the kid right NOW. It's a law that the local citizens said was fine by them.

Point 4 - this is a case where not paying attention to what your local government is doing will come back to bite you in the ass. They pass all kinds of things that either make no sense, or are just plain wrong because WE were absent.

Point 5 - just because the kid failed to ask the right questions doesn't make the city liable for his failure.

Point 6 - this was a discussion on some kid who was misinformed on where he could run a hot dog stand. Want to complain about the liabilities of business storefronts in winter, start a new thread.

I hoped I typed slow enough for you to keep up this time.

Just lock the little Terrorist up and be done with it. There, happy now Goose Steppers?

That story was not true.

I'm still confused...if they bought a permit, then the city told them to, right? And wouldn't they have said where their setting up the hotdog stand? Why wouldn't the city tell them they couldn't set it up there BEFORE giving them the permit and if they bought the permit, why was the kid shut down?

I know - it sucks that the kid was out trying to gather cash for his disabled parents and later education. It's not "fair" that the city gave him all the right information except for not telling him all the places he COULDN'T run his business. But, it isn't the job of some clerk to go into all the legal ways the kid could be stopped. I think it's ridiculous to take the position that the city should be held accountable for the costs associated with a failed start up due to current zoning laws. I feel for Nathan, but he failed to ask all the right questions.

Laws don't magically appear - people ask for them or reject them. If this law is unfair, it should be repealed by the same process that got it enacted in the first place - that's just how we do things.

Tell me something, which people asked for a law that bans competition for restaurants?

Do me a favor, stop pretending that your stupid blather makes sense to anyone else. You might be older than my cat, but you definitely are not wiser. Being wise does not mean telling people that laws exist for a reason, it means using judgement to discern right and wrong. If you use that judgement, and actually figure out that a law is wrong, you do not then blather about how we do things and how people complaining about laws is ridiculous. How we do things is complain. those restaurants complained that the sidewalks outside their front door were icy, and got the city to put in heaters for the sidewalks. That was wrong, the city should have told them icy sidewalks are a normal part of winter when you live in that part of the country. Now, because they complained, they want to prevent other people from selling food.

Asshole.

Jane, you ignorant slut.

You slightly misinterpreted what I said. Let me explain - I'll type slowly because I know you don't read very fast.

Point 1 - laws like this one are made all the time. They favor whoever asks for them. They aren't "right" or "wrong". Simply beneficial for whichever party asks for them at the time.

Point 2 - local ordinances usually have a public meeting associated with them. If 6 local businesses asked for a law that was met by the outrage of 2 thousand tax payers and potential voters, it's kind of questionable whether the ordinance could be enacted. I'm guessing here that wasn't the case.

Point 3 - complaints got the law enacted, votes may be required to get it repealed. Bitching about it in the press gets a little attention but wouldn't help the kid right NOW. It's a law that the local citizens said was fine by them.

Point 4 - this is a case where not paying attention to what your local government is doing will come back to bite you in the ass. They pass all kinds of things that either make no sense, or are just plain wrong because WE were absent.

Point 5 - just because the kid failed to ask the right questions doesn't make the city liable for his failure.

Point 6 - this was a discussion on some kid who was misinformed on where he could run a hot dog stand. Want to complain about the liabilities of business storefronts in winter, start a new thread.

I hoped I typed slow enough for you to keep up this time.

Wow, did you miss the point.

1. It doesn't matter if laws like this are made all the time, they are never right and are always wrong. Only an idiot, or a person with no ability to judge facts, would say they are neither right or wrong.
  2. Local ordinances are often made without public meetings. Even if there are public meetings the local council is not obligated to pay any attention to what anyone says. I have seen plenty of ordinances passed despite the fact that all public comment is completely negative.
  3. I don't give a frack if everyone in the town but that kid supports the law, it is still wrong.
  4. I wasn't there, so it is not a case of that at all.
  5. I never said the city was liable, I said they are wrong. Learn the difference.
  6. This was a discussion about how a bunch of politicians passed a law that is wrong.
Type even slower next time, you will still be wrong.

And an asshole.

That story was not true.

I'm still confused...if they bought a permit, then the city told them to, right? And wouldn't they have said where their setting up the hotdog stand? Why wouldn't the city tell them they couldn't set it up there BEFORE giving them the permit and if they bought the permit, why was the kid shut down?

The permits are issued by the county. The county is not responsible for making sure the person is able to use the permit in certain places. I would assume it's somewhat similar to getting a hunting license; it's up to the licensee to determine where he can and can't hunt.

Forum List

Back