Police shut down mysterious 'Oath Keepers' guarding rooftops in downtown Ferguson

Kevin_Kennedy

Defend Liberty
Aug 27, 2008
Following a night of arson fires and bashed storefronts that hit close to home, Greg Hildebrand stood naked Tuesday, drying off from a needed shower, when he noticed somebody on the rooftop.
“I opened the window and said, ‘Hey, can I help you?’” said Hildebrand, 35, a website developer.

The man said he was security and would be up there at night with others to protect the pocket of second-story apartments and lower-level storefronts near the Ferguson Police Department. A day earlier, rioters had broken out windows below Hildebrand’s apartment in the 100 block of South Florissant Road and torched a nearby beauty supply store.

“I am in the middle of a difficult spot,” Hildebrand said. “I feel a lot better having those guys up on the roof.”

But he wasn’t clear exactly who “those guys” were or where they came from.

Puzzled and alarmed protesters have wondered, too — some accusing the mysterious guards in military fatigues of being in the Ku Klux Klan.

In fact, they are volunteers affiliated with a 35,000-member national organization called Oath Keepers. Yale Law School graduate and libertarian Stewart Rhodes said by telephone from Montana that he founded the group in 2009 to protect constitutional rights, including those of protesters confronted by what he described as overly militarized police.

Police shut down mysterious Oath Keepers guarding rooftops in downtown Ferguson News

So here we have a group of people doing the job the police are unwilling or unable to do, and instead of doing their job the police target them and make them leave because they're not "licensed." Hilarious.

Following a night of arson fires and bashed storefronts that hit close to home, Greg Hildebrand stood naked Tuesday, drying off from a needed shower, when he noticed somebody on the rooftop.
“I opened the window and said, ‘Hey, can I help you?’” said Hildebrand, 35, a website developer.

The man said he was security and would be up there at night with others to protect the pocket of second-story apartments and lower-level storefronts near the Ferguson Police Department. A day earlier, rioters had broken out windows below Hildebrand’s apartment in the 100 block of South Florissant Road and torched a nearby beauty supply store.

“I am in the middle of a difficult spot,” Hildebrand said. “I feel a lot better having those guys up on the roof.”

Puzzled and alarmed protesters have wondered, too — some accusing the mysterious guards in military fatigues of being in the Ku Klux Klan.

In fact, they are volunteers affiliated with a 35,000-member national organization called Oath Keepers. Yale Law School graduate and libertarian Stewart Rhodes said by telephone from Montana that he founded the group in 2009 to protect constitutional rights, including those of protesters confronted by what he described as overly militarized police.

Police shut down mysterious Oath Keepers guarding rooftops in downtown Ferguson News

So here we have a group of people doing the job the police are unwilling or unable to do, and instead of doing their job the police target them and make them leave because they're not "licensed." Hilarious.
There's no indication that the police weren't 'doing their job.'

And what's hilarious is the ignorance of, or contempt for, necessary and proper regulatory measures exhibited by the OP, such as the licensing of those working armed private security, which is required in St. Louis County:

Licensing GCI Security Inc.

It was therefor lawful and appropriate for the police to order the unlicensed, unauthorized, and armed individuals from the rooftop, where they have no business being.

It's this sort of unwarranted, irresponsible, reckless vigilantism that contributes to the deterioration of dangerous situations.

And what's hilarious is the ignorance of, or contempt for, necessary and proper regulatory measures exhibited by the OP, such as the licensing of those working armed private security, which is required in St. Louis County:

It was therefor lawful and appropriate for the police to order the unlicensed, unauthorized, and armed individuals from the rooftop, where they have no business being.

It's this sort of unwarranted, irresponsible, reckless vigilantism that contributes to the deterioration of dangerous situations.
The rioting and looting in Ferguson were pretty good indications.

Isn't that funny, but it is unlawful for a cop to protect himself from thief and bully.

Not to mention, there has been lots of folks on the left saying cops did not do their jobs, and let Ferguson burn.

BTW, a business owner has the right to invite anyone he wants to his rooftop.

Forum List

Back