Police License Plate Recognition Vehicles

Discussion in 'Law and Justice System' started by Missourian, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Missourian

Missourian Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,124
    This may be old news to some, but I saw a "License Plate Recognition Vehicle" scanning every plate on the highway today. This wasn't a police cruiser that happened to be scanning plates...this was a police vehicle dedicated solely to license plate recognition and capture.

How do I know? It was printed in large block letters across the trunk hatch.

The privacy issues created by this technology are staggering.

[​IMG]

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  2. Dis

Dis Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    What privacy issue? Seriously.. If you haven't done anything wrong, aren't skirting the law for anything, don't have any unpaid fines, haven't stolen your car, and are driving with a valid license and insurance, who cares if they run your plate?

3. catzmeow

catzmeow BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,974
    It's a privacy issue because as the federal laws have been interpreted, the police are required to have REASONABLE SUSPICION of criminal activity before collecting and/or analyzing information on private citizens. I have a suspicion that this will be thrown out.

This isn't like cameras at stoplights, this is wholesale snooping without probably cause. That's problematic.

4. Zoom-boing

Zoom-boing Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,125
    I'm all for getting law breakers to pay up; this seems like an effective way to do it. Why isn't this a good thing? If you haven't done anything wrong, what's the problem?

5. Dis

Dis Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    It's not like they're stopping you, pulling you over, and making you wait while they run your plates.. They're simply scanning as you're driving to where you need to be... Again, if you are doing everything legally, what's the problem? I dunno about you, but I'd rather someone that lost their license due to a DUI, hit & run, or whatever be yanked off the road before they can do more harm...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2009
  6. KittenKoder

KittenKoder Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    Faster, easier, more effective, and cheaper ... same purpose. I like it. As Dis pointed out, at least you don't have to wait an hour while they run your plates for a routine stop anymore.

7. Missourian

Missourian Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,124
    Extending that logic...I should allow the FBI to listen in on all phone conversation...as I have no conversations with. criminals or terrorists to worry about them overhearing, and allow the INS to search my house once a week...I hide no illegal immigrants in there, and have drug sniffing dogs at every intersection...sure they'll catch some lawbreakers, but I don't carry contraband so nothing for me to worry about. Sure these are extreme examples, but that is the road we are heading down.

The police should need some probable cause to run a license plate...like the article said, if I wanted my whereabouts known, I wouldn't need a license plate...I would just have my name and address printed on the tailgate of my pickup.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. Dis

Dis Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I expect most peoples conversations would bore the FBI to tears... And yes, your other examples are pretty much over the top.. But I don't think any harm is being done with them just zapping a license plate in passing.. Like I said.. if it gets dangerous people off the roads.. The only people that need be worried are those that shouldn't be there in the first place.

I also don't think it's going to go as far as you do, either, but that's just me.

Then again, I'm not exactly prone to doing *anything* illegal (I don't even drive after I've had a single drink), so...it really doesn't phase me right now.

9. KittenKoder

KittenKoder Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    You do realize they don't have to have probable cause to run a plate, and considering if your car was stolen you wouldn't want the to require that since that's how they find stolen cars to return to their rightful owners. Running plates is already done, this just speeds up the process and cuts down on the required personnel or increases the number of cars they can find. All that info is already easy to track, so trust me, this in no way increases how much they know about you.

10. Missourian

Missourian Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,124
    I can easily envision the power this technology imparts to the government being turned to not-so-noble uses, especially in light of a recent DHS memo on domestic terrorism.

Imagine unmarked vehicles making passes thru parking lots of Tea Party rallies, or Sierra Club meeting, or PETA lectures, or Minute Men assemblies. In seconds a list is compiled, cross referenced and added to a database for analysis.

We know Hoover attempted this without this technology...think about the temptation when this modern marvel makes it virtually undetectable and instantaneous.