Woman can harvest dead boyfriend's sperm, judge says

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Associated Press

NEW YORK -- A New York judge has given a woman permission to harvest her dead lover's sperm so she can still have his baby.

Johnny Quintana was only 31 when he died Thursday of an apparent heart attack.

He had wanted to have a second child with his fiancee, Gisela Marrero, but the only way to make it happen was to quickly collect his sperm, which stays fresh for only 36 hours after death.

A court order was needed because Quintana and Marrero were not yet married.

The Bronx judge said "yes" Friday with only four hours left until the deadline.

Sperm bank staffers then rushed to Jacobi Medical Center, where Quintana's body lay.

Marrero already has a 2-year-old son with Quintana.

HeraldNet: Woman can harvest dead boyfriend's sperm, judge says

I am outraged. This is not even a wife, so what right does she have to his sperm? In one fell swoop this radical judge's decision will set off a chain of reactions including a child being born into a most bizarre situation without a father and thus increasing substantially the chances that he/she would be at some point be involved with the penitentiary system.

"Various studies come up with slightly different numbers, but all the figures are grim. According to the Index of Leading Cultural Indicators, children from single-parent families account for 63 percent of all youth suicides, 70 percent of all teenage pregancies, 71 percent of all adolescent chemical/substance abuse, 80 percent of all prison inmates, and 90 percent of all homeless and runaway children." Ann Coulter, Guilty p 37-38.

Not to mention who will be financially responsible for these children born out of wedlock? It is no big accomplishment to give birth to young, even animals can do that. The challenge is too raise them in the best way possible and that includes having a mother and a father. Why do people refuse to see into the future of the children of singleparent homes? You give children a fighting chance when you bring them up in intact families.

The counterculture won on this one. Sad. Sad, indeed.

One of the things that really causes a collision with secular progressives is their not seeming to put any value on parenting. This group has never really explained in a tangible way that one who objects can accept, and, frankly, more often leaves the average person with the impression that they indeed do put no value on parenting, and do not care what happens on the way to the state taking over the function. I used to thing was paranoid delusion. No longer.

Neither do they put any value on children.

This is where you end up when you determine that the components that make human life are of no value and can be picked up, put down, tampered with, destroyed, tortured, sold, experimented on, at a whim.

hey, er... while you're all so busy nursing your moral indignation....

did the article say if anyone even opposed the application?

No?

didn't think so. which means it was granted on default and the judge wouldn't have had any basis to deny it...

unless of course he imposed his own morality (oops... I mean YOUR morality) and engaged in judicial activism to foster your agenda.

Associated Press

NEW YORK -- A New York judge has given a woman permission to harvest her dead lover's sperm so she can still have his baby.

He had wanted to have a second child with his fiancee, Gisela Marrero, but the only way to make it happen was to quickly collect his sperm, which stays fresh for only 36 hours after death.

Sperm bank staffers then rushed to Jacobi Medical Center, where Quintana's body lay.

I am outraged. This is not even a wife, so what right does she have to his sperm? In one fell swoop this radical judge's decision will set off a chain of reactions including a child being born into a most bizarre situation without a father and thus increasing substantially the chances that he/she would be at some point be involved with the penitentiary system.

"Various studies come up with slightly different numbers, but all the figures are grim. According to the Index of Leading Cultural Indicators, children from single-parent families account for 63 percent of all youth suicides, 70 percent of all teenage pregancies, 71 percent of all adolescent chemical/substance abuse, 80 percent of all prison inmates, and 90 percent of all homeless and runaway children." Ann Coulter, Guilty p 37-38.

Not to mention who will be financially responsible for these children born out of wedlock? It is no big accomplishment to give birth to young, even animals can do that. The challenge is too raise them in the best way possible and that includes having a mother and a father. Why do people refuse to see into the future of the children of singleparent homes? You give children a fighting chance when you bring them up in intact families.

How is this any different than a woman going to a sperm bank?

Now, why should the judge have denied the unopposed application?

Marrero's mom prayed they would make it in time.

"I want my son's sperm to live," Carmen Moreno, Quintana's 56-year-old mother, said through sobs as she testified.

"The Lord took him away from me. This is the only way for him to live on. He wanted this. He wanted this."

The race against time really began at 3:30 a.m. Thursday when Quintana, a seemingly healthy, 31-year-old concierge and auto mechanic, collapsed and died while watching an episode of NBC's "The Chopping Block" on a computer with his brother.

Through her tears, Marrero remembered their last talk about the future and immediately asked Jacobi if it would be possible to remove and preserve Quintana's sperm.

Under law, it takes a court order.

So while Quintana's body was placed in a cooling room and an ice bag was placed on his testicles to preserve his potential progeny, Marrero set about preparing a funeral - and building a legal argument.

Much of Thursday was spent frantically calling sperm banks, lawyers and arranging for an emergency hearing before Sherman.

To argue a case that Sherman said is unprecedented in New York, they enlisted lawyer Nelson Stern, who usually handles disability cases.

Earlier this month in Texas, a judge granted a mother's right to extract and preserve her son's sperm after he died in a fight outside an Austin bar.

Sherman said he was not aware of any cases like this one in New York. "There is very little precedent," the judge said after the 10-minute hearing.

*snip*

"All our dreams we accomplished together," Marrero said of the man she began dating when she was 18. "He was my best friend, the love of my life."

Judge allows wife to harvest dead husband's sperm

It's not like he's going to need them where he's at.. (Sorry)

Seriously tho.. They both apparently wanted another child, they already had one together, they were getting married... If he had died after she'd become pregnant the second time, he'd STILL be leaving a single parent behind (not like he didn't anyway with the first one).

What's the big deal? Usually I agree with a lot of what you say, PC, but I think you're loopy on this one.

The interesting question is whether the resulting child will be considered qualified to make a claim on the dead father's estate.

he isn't a life in being at the time of the passing... he'll inherit through mom i would think.

*edit*

mom has no legal right to the estate... that would be parents maybe siblings... unless there's a will.

hmmmmmmm... ok. it is an interesting question.

First and foremost, the consideration should be the life of the potential child.

I have posted many times about the potentially disasterous future of a child born in a single-mother household, and now we compound the situation by allowing some instant-gratification liberal who wants what she wants when she wants it, to go to a liberal judge who says "you want the sperm, who am I to deprive you of your whim" and society will now pay the tab, both financial and societal, for this child.

Wow, forgive this run-on sentence.

And, since NY has no common-law marriage, what standing does this woman have to demand the sperm?

There is no potential child yet.

And potential life has no rights. You might not like that. But it's fact.

Again, no one opposed the application. It wasn't the judge's place to insert his own religious beliefs ... assuming he would agree with you.

It's not like he's going to need them where he's at.. (Sorry)

Seriously tho.. They both apparently wanted another child, they already had one together, they were getting married... If he had died after she'd become pregnant the second time, he'd STILL be leaving a single parent behind (not like he didn't anyway with the first one).

What's the big deal? Usually I agree with a lot of what you say, PC, but I think you're loopy on this one.

Hypothetical question: say you are in charge of adoptions, and this single mother comes to you and says that her boyfried tragically passed away, and they had a child between them, but had always talked of having another.

Do you assign them one of the children for whom you have responsibility?

Are there questions you would be compelled to ask, that are not being considered here?

First and foremost, the consideration should be the life of the potential child.

I have posted many times about the potentially disasterous future of a child born in a single-mother household, and now we compound the situation by allowing some instant-gratification liberal who wants what she wants when she wants it, to go to a liberal judge who says "you want the sperm, who am I to deprive you of your whim" and society will now pay the tab, both financial and societal, for this child.

Wow, forgive this run-on sentence.

And, since NY has no common-law marriage, what standing does this woman have to demand the sperm?

Even if it was true that all children of single parent are doomed to end up in prison like you seem to think, why do you assume this woman is going to remain single all her life? Hey, maybe she and the judge might decide to get together and blend their families?

Now, why should the judge have denied the unopposed application?

Marrero's mom prayed they would make it in time.

"I want my son's sperm to live," Carmen Moreno, Quintana's 56-year-old mother, said through sobs as she testified.

"The Lord took him away from me. This is the only way for him to live on. He wanted this. He wanted this."

The race against time really began at 3:30 a.m. Thursday when Quintana, a seemingly healthy, 31-year-old concierge and auto mechanic, collapsed and died while watching an episode of NBC's "The Chopping Block" on a computer with his brother.

Through her tears, Marrero remembered their last talk about the future and immediately asked Jacobi if it would be possible to remove and preserve Quintana's sperm.

Under law, it takes a court order.

So while Quintana's body was placed in a cooling room and an ice bag was placed on his testicles to preserve his potential progeny, Marrero set about preparing a funeral - and building a legal argument.

Much of Thursday was spent frantically calling sperm banks, lawyers and arranging for an emergency hearing before Sherman.

To argue a case that Sherman said is unprecedented in New York, they enlisted lawyer Nelson Stern, who usually handles disability cases.

Earlier this month in Texas, a judge granted a mother's right to extract and preserve her son's sperm after he died in a fight outside an Austin bar.

Sherman said he was not aware of any cases like this one in New York. "There is very little precedent," the judge said after the 10-minute hearing.

*snip*

"All our dreams we accomplished together," Marrero said of the man she began dating when she was 18. "He was my best friend, the love of my life."

Judge allows wife to harvest dead husband's sperm

Nevertheless, Sherman ruled in favor of the family.

"There is no basis, as far as I know, not to let them do this," he said. "Under this kind of tragic circumstances, this is all that is left for them."

With no precedent, the judge should have shown a sense of responsibility for the future progeny, far more inportant than the "wishes" of the prospective mother.

Associated Press

Well, in all honesty, if the two of them had been intending to have another child together - and one assumes that she produced some sort of evidence to support that assertion to the court - then THAT is what right she has to his sperm: he wanted her to have it.

I am opposed to this woman having another child because more kids is not what this over populated planet needs at the moment, but to say she is wrong to do this because she was not married to the guy and because she's not married to anyone else at the moment is silly.

There is no potential child yet.

And potential life has no rights. You might not like that. But it's fact.

Again, no one opposed the application. It wasn't the judge's place to insert his own religious beliefs ... assuming he would agree with you.

Wha???

What religious rights? Who, besides yourself, brought up religious rights?

This is a question of the best possible life for the child. You libs can't conceive (pun intended) of being deprived of whatever you wish, no matter the ramifications.

Forum List

Back