Pledge Allegiance…to Whom?

No, it is clear that no reasonable answer can be given to the question of where concepts and words exist outside the mind.

The mind is fallible....there are so very many examples.

But the human experiences over millennia, not so much.

1. The human mind may be worshipped, but it cannot be trusted. That is why we codify laws. Eugene Debs said ‘Even if I could, I would not lead you into the Promised Land, because if I could lead you in, someone else could lead you out.’

a. Demagoguery is the attempt to convince the people that they can be led into the Promised Land.

b. America would be better if the electorate would notice the similarities between ‘Lose Weight Without Dieting,’ and ‘Hope.’

2. And, along those lines, one should learn to be skeptical of ideas that poverty can be eradicated, greed is the cause of poverty, poverty is the cause of crime, that government, given enough money, can cure all ills.

Again, no demonstration of where, or even how, these could exist other than in a human.

You obviously do not understand either words or how humans function. Continue in your dream land that these 'absolutes' exist 'out there'.

It's not possible to pledge allegiance to something that no longer exists. It's like pledging allegiance to the Confederacy or Valhalla. I pledge allegiance to the memory of the United States of America. It means nothing.

It's not possible to pledge allegiance to something that no longer exists. It's like pledging allegiance to the Confederacy or Valhalla. I pledge allegiance to the memory of the United States of America. It means nothing.

We could say that it never existed and that it was only a dream, a vision some had.

We could also say it exists as much as anything people believe in. If you have abandoned it, that is your choice. The present form may not suit you. It could exist as much as ever for another who finds it does conform to her/his vision of what the nation should be.

Forum List

Back