Please is the word "Daesh" when referring to ISIS, ISIL...

JimH52

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2007
US
France says the name 'ISIS' is offensive, will call it 'Daesh' instead

It is offensive to the barbarians.

The Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) is a bit of a misnomer, says France, as it lends the imprimatur of Islam to a group that the vast majority of Muslims finds despicable. "This is a terrorist group and not a state. I do not recommend using the term Islamic State because it blurs the lines between Islam, Muslims, and Islamists," France's Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius said in a statement. "The Arabs call it 'Daesh' and I will be calling them the 'Daesh cutthroats.'"

The "Institute for Science and International Security" finds it offensive. ISIS

I don't care if it offends "the barbarians" but its true that its not a very accurate description of them.

From a bit later article (October 2014) than the one posted in OP...
Why does a simple word like Daesh disturb extremists so much? | The National

The president, Francois Hollande, and his ministers are convinced its use diminishes the extremists’ claim to represent a nation state, one with proper laws, rational policies and civilised standards of conduct, all qualities suggested by the title Islamic State and none applicable to the reality.
The foreign minister, Laurent Fabius, is even more blunt: “This is a terrorist group and not a state. I do not recommend using the term Islamic State because it blurs the lines between Islam, Muslims and Islamists. Arabs call it ‘Daesh’ and I will be calling them the ‘Daesh cutthroats’.”
The desire to insult the militants’ sensibilities is helped by the knowledge that being called Daesh does actually cause offence to ISIL. Most of us could live happily enough with that being the case, but there have been reports of people being flogged for using the word.

That's good enough reason for me for liking it.

France says the name 'ISIS' is offensive, will call it 'Daesh' instead

It is offensive to the barbarians.

The Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) is a bit of a misnomer, says France, as it lends the imprimatur of Islam to a group that the vast majority of Muslims finds despicable. "This is a terrorist group and not a state. I do not recommend using the term Islamic State because it blurs the lines between Islam, Muslims, and Islamists," France's Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius said in a statement. "The Arabs call it 'Daesh' and I will be calling them the 'Daesh cutthroats.'"

Daesh brings to mind salt substitutes for food. :) I just call them terrorists, let others worry about nomenclature.

Forum List

Back