Please Godly BEAT ME! Southern Baptist leader ousted. Women should pray for their abusive husbands!?

Abused = physical violence, terrorizing, extreme control etc.

Or it could be the husband saying cruel things, refusing to increase her weekly allowance, cutting up her credit cards, etc. ..... :cool:
Those can go along with control and emotional abuse, but I think you're trying to give reasons why women would falsely claim they were "abused," aren't you? DV is nothing to joke about.

No, but telling his female parishoners to be as submissive as they can is not a good plan if a woman is being abused. I don't mean that they should be mouthy, but advising them to put up and shut up, which is what it SOUNDS like, could be very bad advice. He could have been quoted out of context; who knows. There are a lot of better people than I, who would pray for the soul of a joker who regularly beat and terrorized his wife. They're welcome to it. As long as that's not the ONLY answer to the problem.

You misunderstand (BIG surprise). I'm not expressing an opinion one way or the other about the whole of Patterson's remarks. I'm addressing specifically the idea of praying for an abusive husband.

Atheists have no concept of the power of prayer

Maybe if god got off his ass and did anything such would change? You can pray all you want or you can get the fuck out from under an asshole. Your choice.

You seem to have some issues going on....you should pray on that

You mean reality.

You and reality have never crossed paths

You misunderstand (BIG surprise). I'm not expressing an opinion one way or the other about the whole of Patterson's remarks. I'm addressing specifically the idea of praying for an abusive husband.

Atheists have no concept of the power of prayer

Maybe if god got off his ass and did anything such would change? You can pray all you want or you can get the fuck out from under an asshole. Your choice.

You seem to have some issues going on....you should pray on that

You mean reality.

You and reality have never crossed paths

I know, we are one.

Those can go along with control and emotional abuse, but I think you're trying to give reasons why women would falsely claim they were "abused," aren't you? DV is nothing to joke about.
If more women would be submissive to their husbands.

The instances of DV would be greatly reduced. .... :cool:
You're not a wife beater, are you? Because if you were, you would know that isn't true. It's either about control of the partner or just "taking it out" on her when things go wrong. Most abused women walk on egg shells and are as submissive as they know how. No one likes getting beat up. Or threatened with a knife or raped.

You're not a wife beater, are you? Because if you were, you would know that isn't true. It's either about control of the partner or just "taking it out" on her when things go wrong. Most abused women walk on egg shells and are as submissive as they know how. No one likes getting beat up. Or threatened with a knife or raped.

In my opinion, half the women who claim abuse are lying.

They just do not want to remain married.

And using the charge of abuse get's everyone on their side. ..... :cool:

In my opinion, half the women who claim abuse are lying.

They just do not want to remain married.

And using the charge of abuse get's everyone on their side. ..... :cool:
What an odd thing to think. If that happened to someone you know, it doesn't automatically let you jump to the conclusion that half the women claiming abuse are lying, though.

What an odd thing to think. If that happened to someone you know, it doesn't automatically let you jump to the conclusion that half the women claiming abuse are lying, though.
I've seen several women lying about DV just to get out of a marriage.

All a women has to do is claim "abuse" and the courts and judges rush to her side.

And the guy is automatically guilty. .... :cool:

I've seen several women lying about DV just to get out of a marriage.

All a women has to do is claim "abuse" and the courts and judges rush to her side.

And the guy is automatically guilty. .... :cool:
Huh. I've not run into that. It's so easy to get a divorce these days that no woman has to offer that excuse anymore. Not if you live in the states, anyway.

Southern Baptist leader ousted as seminary president after saying women should pray for their abusive husbands
A top Southern Baptist leader was ousted this week as the head of his seminary after he was widely criticized for saying that women who are abused by their husbands should pray for them and that women should “be submissive in every way that you can.”

The New York Times reported Wednesday that the board of the Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary had voted to remove the leader, Paige Patterson, as the leader of the Forth Worth, Texas, institution.

“After much prayer and a more than 13-hour discussion regarding challenges facing the institution, including those of enrollment, financial, leadership and institutional identity, the Board determined to move in the direction of new leadership,” the Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary board said in a statement on Tuesday.

patterson_paige.png

© YouTube
A top Southern Baptist leader was ousted this week as the head of his seminar
Southern Baptist leader ousted as seminary president after saying women should pray for their abusive husbands

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Just how sick can religion GET?

So you think asking the Almighty Creator of the Universe to make your lousy husband a better person is a bad plan?
No, but telling his female parishoners to be as submissive as they can is not a good plan if a woman is being abused. I don't mean that they should be mouthy, but advising them to put up and shut up, which is what it SOUNDS like, could be very bad advice. He could have been quoted out of context; who knows. There are a lot of better people than I, who would pray for the soul of a joker who regularly beat and terrorized his wife. They're welcome to it. As long as that's not the ONLY answer to the problem.

Prayer is doing nothing and still think your helping.

Huh. I've not run into that. It's so easy to get a divorce these days that no woman has to offer that excuse anymore. Not if you live in the states, anyway.
Women don't want to be seen as the person who broke up the marriage.

So they claim abuse.

That way the man is seen as the bad guy, and everyone is on her side. .... :cool:

A top Southern Baptist leader was ousted this week as the head of his seminary after he was widely criticized for saying that women who are abused by their husbands should pray for them and that women should “be submissive in every way that you can.”

The New York Times reported Wednesday that the board of the Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary had voted to remove the leader, Paige Patterson, as the leader of the Forth Worth, Texas, institution.

“After much prayer and a more than 13-hour discussion regarding challenges facing the institution, including those of enrollment, financial, leadership and institutional identity, the Board determined to move in the direction of new leadership,” the Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary board said in a statement on Tuesday.

patterson_paige.png

© YouTube

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

So you think asking the Almighty Creator of the Universe to make your lousy husband a better person is a bad plan?

Prayer has made a huge difference in stopping school shootings. Think about it.

Women don't want to be seen as the person who broke up the marriage.

So they claim abuse.

That way the man is seen as the bad guy, and everyone is on her side. .... :cool:
Like I said, I haven't run into that. Interesting crowd you run with, Sunni.

patterson_paige.png

© YouTube

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Thank you so much for that utterly pointless statement of your opinion framed as universal "fact". I certainly cannot remember having at any point in time asked you if you agreed with my religious beliefs, but I feel sure that I must have, since you so promptly answered the question I don't recall asking.

patterson_paige.png

© YouTube

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

"Prayer is useless, because it doesn't do what I mistakenly think it's for!"

You and One should start a club for religiophobic assholes who get a charge out of spewing meaningless bile in the mistaken belief that you're accomplishing something.

You and One should start a club for religiophobic assholes who get a charge out of spewing meaningless bile in the mistaken belief that you're accomplishing something.

How Christian of you. You better get to church and say a whole bunch of hail whatever's for that one.

patterson_paige.png

© YouTube

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Thank you so much for that utterly pointless statement of your opinion framed as universal "fact". I certainly cannot remember having at any point in time asked you if you agreed with my religious beliefs, but I feel sure that I must have, since you so promptly answered the question I don't recall asking.

The fact is you can pray to your favorite religious zealot or Walmart you're still going to die.

The fact is the religious hierarchy got out their calculator and figured out how much this pastor was going to cost them in religious offerings. So they canned his ass.

In religion and every other business it's all about the money.

How Christian of you. You better get to church and say a whole bunch of hail whatever's for that one.

You must have missed the 654676 times I have said this in the past: My spiritual life is between me and God. You are neither of those people. Therefore, your input is not required, not requested, and not respected.

If I ever sustain a massive head injury, perhaps I will think I need a non-believing jackass to instruct me on how to be a Christian. But I sincerely doubt it, even then.

The fact is you can pray to your favorite religious zealot or Walmart you're still going to die.

The fact is the religious hierarchy got out their calculator and figured out how much this pastor was going to cost them in religious offerings. So they canned his ass.

In religion and every other business it's all about the money.

The fact is, only retards like you think prayer is intended to change or prevent mortality.

The fact is, railing against prayer because it doesn't do things it was never intended to do will not change the mind of a single person. Christians know your premise is uneducated, uninformed bullshit, and anyone who thinks you speak wisdom was already an ignorant twat just like you to start with.

The fact is, you have as much useful to say about religion as I do about quantum mechanics. Less, actually.

Forum List

Back