Please Give your Honest Opinion on The Rutgers Homosexual Hate Case.

TheLastStand

Rookie
Nov 8, 2011
I would like to voice my opinion on the Rutgers Homosexual hate crimes case. And, I would like for you to voice your honest opinion too.

I find it to be insane that a jury would find Dharum Ravi guilty of bullying Tyler Clementi.

The dorm room is not a private place if you are sharing it with someone else. Tyler Clementi violated Dharum Ravi's privacy by having anal sex with another man in the dorm room they both had to share. Mr. Clementi totally disregarded the privacy of Dharum Ravi by having sex in the dorm room in the first place. And, I am sure the university has rules concerning the conduct of students living in the dorm, and sharing rooms.

How would you like to come back to your dorm room after a long day of studing, and have to smell the lingering anal odor after your roommate had been having anal sex with another man in the room you had to share with him. And, I would have put a hidden camera in the room to find out if they were having sex on my bed, or in my area of the room. What Mr. Clementi did was immoral and unsanitary in the first place. And, guys this young are still insecure in their sexuality and the last thing they need is to have to deal with this type of incident-because they never deal with it the right way. How would you like to come back to your room, and your gay roomate and his male lover are eyeballing you the way a girl would, or you are having to watch them french kiss and grab at each others private areas, and moan and carry on. I think you would have felt just as uncomfortable as Mr. Ravi, and probably would have sought some kind of revenge too.

Mr. Clementi was at the university to study, not to be having anal sex with another man in the dorm room. He knew that there would be some kind of negative consequences of his own immoral and disrespectful actions, and should have had enough common respect to either go to a hotel, get a private room first, or get an apartment before engaging in this type of behavior. It seems that he is being treated like the victim, with total disregard for what he did that led up to this incident in the first place. And, just because he was homosexual, and just because he killed himself does not mean that he should not be held accountable for his own immoral actions, and lack of respect and privacy for his roommate.

No, Mr. Ravi did not handle the situation appropriately, but, he should not serve any time in jail, nor be deported, because the punishment does not fit the crime. I think he should be reinstated at school, and be made to do a little community service. However, his entire life and his chance at a good college education should not be ruined. Mr. Clementi took his own life, and I am sure that if prosecutors dug deeper into his background, they would find that he had other more pressing problems that would have led to him taking his own
life. Unfortunately, this incident was his breaking point, but he is ultimately to blame for taking his own life. He was not secure in his own sexuality, and should have taken better precautions in keeping his sexual orientation private until he was mature enough to deal with the backlash of being homosexual. He should never have had sex in the dorm room in the first place. If he were living with his parents, I am sure he would not have disrespected them by having anal sex with his male lover in their house.

I would like to voice my opinion on the Rutgers Homosexual hate crimes case. And, I would like for you to voice your honest opinion too.

I find it to be insane that a jury would find Dharum Ravi guilty of bullying Tyler Clementi.

The dorm room is not a private place if you are sharing it with someone else. Tyler Clementi violated Dharum Ravi's privacy by having anal sex with another man in the dorm room they both had to share. Mr. Clementi totally disregarded the privacy of Dharum Ravi by having sex in the dorm room in the first place. And, I am sure the university has rules concerning the conduct of students living in the dorm, and sharing rooms.

How would you like to come back to your dorm room after a long day of studing, and have to smell the lingering anal odor after your roommate had been having anal sex with another man in the room you had to share with him. And, I would have put a hidden camera in the room to find out if they were having sex on my bed, or in my area of the room. What Mr. Clementi did was immoral and unsanitary in the first place. And, guys this young are still insecure in their sexuality and the last thing they need is to have to deal with this type of incident-because they never deal with it the right way. How would you like to come back to your room, and your gay roomate and his male lover are eyeballing you the way a girl would, or you are having to watch them french kiss and grab at each others private areas, and moan and carry on. I think you would have felt just as uncomfortable as Mr. Ravi, and probably would have sought some kind of revenge too.

Mr. Clementi was at the university to study, not to be having anal sex with another man in the dorm room. He knew that there would be some kind of negative consequences of his own immoral and disrespectful actions, and should have had enough common respect to either go to a hotel, get a private room first, or get an apartment before engaging in this type of behavior. It seems that he is being treated like the victim, with total disregard for what he did that led up to this incident in the first place. And, just because he was homosexual, and just because he killed himself does not mean that he should not be held accountable for his own immoral actions, and lack of respect and privacy for his roommate.

No, Mr. Ravi did not handle the situation appropriately, but, he should not serve any time in jail, nor be deported, because the punishment does not fit the crime. I think he should be reinstated at school, and be made to do a little community service. However, his entire life and his chance at a good college education should not be ruined. Mr. Clementi took his own life, and I am sure that if prosecutors dug deeper into his background, they would find that he had other more pressing problems that would have led to him taking his own
life. Unfortunately, this incident was his breaking point, but he is ultimately to blame for taking his own life. He was not secure in his own sexuality, and should have taken better precautions in keeping his sexual orientation private until he was mature enough to deal with the backlash of being homosexual. He should never have had sex in the dorm room in the first place. If he were living with his parents, I am sure he would not have disrespected them by having anal sex with his male lover in their house.

Just one question, would you feel the same way if the roommate was having sex with a woman instead of a man?

There is a certain expectation of privacy even when you are sharing a dorm room. Supposing the guy was just jacking off? Do you think he doesn't have a right to do that in his own room when his roommate isn't there? Do you really believe his roommate has the right to watch him on camera when he thinks he's alone?

I think what this guy did was wrong, but 10 years in prison is an overreach.

The victims decision to kill himself was his own decision, really. He could have filed a complaint with the university, and gotten this guy expelled. He could have sued him for a shitload of money. He killed himself instead. Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

Originally, the prosecutors offered 600 community service and probation, but the accused in this case didnt' go for it. Now he's going to get ten years in prison and will probably be anally raped a few times? That seems like a bit of an overreach.

They committed a felony against their roomie and their ciminal intention was to socially and publically humiliate thier VICTIM.

He was so mortified by their little prank that he killed himself.

They clearly only set out to murder the kid socially.

What do you think the punishment ought to be for such behavior?

Was their nasty little prank just good clean fun?

Or was their motive so foul that they deserve to have THEIR SOCIAL STANDING destroyed?

And if that is the retribution they deserve then how does this society destroy the social standing of these criminals?

Last edited:
I agree with JoeB. Tyler Clementi did not commit suicide because of one incident. In fact, there are reports that his own mother was "uncomfortable" with his admission only a few months prior. Ravi was not charged with Clementi's death, but I am certain that was what swayed the jury.

Young people who have followed this case will get the message that bullying gays can land you in jail and that filming people without their consent is wrong. Good message.

However, the unintended consequence will be that many will avoid potential friendships with gays, because the risk of doing something stupid, is simply not worth the price.

Rutgers and other universities may now have to ask for sexual orientation before assigning roommates. Is that appropriate? Should they offer segregated dorms? I don't know.

The guy was not charged with Mr. Clementi's death. He was charged with invasion of privacy (check), lying to investigators (check), evidence tampering (check) and bias intimidation (check).

And you don't think he should be deported for that?

They committed a felony against their roomie and their ciminal intention was to socially and publically humiliate thier VICTIM.

He was so mortified by their little prank that he killed himself.

They clearly only set out to murder the kid socially.

What do you think the punishment ought to be for such behavior?

Was their nasty little prank just good clean fun?

Or was their motive so foul that they deserve to have THEIR SOCIAL STANDING destroyed?

And if that is the retribution they deserve then how does this society destroy the social standing of these criminals?

We're being a little melodramatic this morning, aren't we?

Point was, if this kid hadn't killed himself, this maybe would have resulted in an expulsion or MAYBE they'd have reassigned roommates. (The person who really should have been punished was the idiot who assigned these two to the same room.)

I have a hard time punishing someone criminally for a secondary action that he may or may not have been able to foresee.

Civilly, I'd have no problem if the kid's family took him to court and took him for everything he had.

The guy was not charged with Mr. Clementi's death. He was charged with invasion of privacy (check), lying to investigators (check), evidence tampering (check) and bias intimidation (check).

Again, not a one of which would have been seriously treated like a crime if Clementi hadn't killed himself.

This is the kind of "Thought Crime" that Orwell warned us about.

No one would have thought twice if he had turned on a webcam to spy on his roomie doing a girl. Yeah, they'd have probably expelled him or brought him up on some kind of conduct violation.

But come on, this is prosecuting a man for something someone else did.

By the way, I have no problem with expelling this guy, and if he's here on a student Visa, sending him back to wherever the hell he came from. (Not even sure if he's actually a non-citizen or not, or if someone is making assumptions).

But ten years for a dorm prank? Come on.

The bias charge was bullshit. Opponents of hate crime laws argue that they are used inappropriately whenever a member of a "protected class" of people is a victim of a crime. I disagreed with this position until now. They were right.

There was no "hate" involved. The boyS were friendly. The most that was proven was that he was "uncomfortable" with a gay roommate. Guess what? A MAJORITY of 18 year old boys would be similarly uncomfortable at first. That is not hate. It is simply the ignorance of teens. College is supposed to mature them in 4 years, not 2 months. Lives ruined to make a point. PC BS on steroids.

I think what this guy did was wrong, but 10 years in prison is an overreach.

The victims decision to kill himself was his own decision, really. He could have filed a complaint with the university, and gotten this guy expelled. He could have sued him for a shitload of money. He killed himself instead. Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

Originally, the prosecutors offered 600 community service and probation, but the accused in this case didnt' go for it. Now he's going to get ten years in prison and will probably be anally raped a few times? That seems like a bit of an overreach.
I'm only peripherally aware of this case ... you mean that he was offered that and chose to go to trial instead ????? Seriously ?????

Hell. He deserves 10 years for being so damned stupid.

Again, not a one of which would have been seriously treated like a crime if Clementi hadn't killed himself.

No one would have thought twice if he had turned on a webcam to spy on his roomie doing a girl. Yeah, they'd have probably expelled him or brought him up on some kind of conduct violation.

By the way, I have no problem with expelling this guy, and if he's here on a student Visa, sending him back to wherever the hell he came from. (Not even sure if he's actually a non-citizen or not, or if someone is making assumptions).

He is a LEGAL resident with a student visa; not a U.S. citizen. His parents could have applied for citizenship; but chose not to. If he gets deported, he will be separated from his family. Wonder how the open borders crowd feels about that.

That's probably why he didn't take the plea deal.

According to a piece I read this morning, under sentencing guidelines, the judge must give him a minimum of three years, and deportation is a real possibility.

The bias charge was bullshit. Opponents of hate crime laws argue that they are used inappropriately whenever a member of a "protected class" of people is a victim of a crime. I disagreed with this position until now. They were right.

There was no "hate" involved. The boyS were friendly. The most that was proven was that he was "uncomfortable" with a gay roommate. Guess what? A MAJORITY of 18 year old boys would be similarly uncomfortable at first. That is not hate. It is simply the ignorance of teens. College is supposed to mature them in 4 years, not 2 months. Lives ruined to make a point. PC BS on steroids.

So when did you get to view the evidence they had against him on the bias charge? Were you on the jury?

Everything the guy did would still be a crime even if the young man hadn't killed himself. Now, if he hadn't killed himself, the other guy probably wouldn't have evidence tampered or lied to the police. Shame on that boy for being humiliated into killing himself.

Anyone that would choose and write those words is gay.

Guilty on ALL 15 counts. The convict posted on Twitter, got five sickos to watch he first webcam, planned a larger gathering after telling the victim "I'LL DO IT AGAIN". The dirtbag D. Ravi was also convicted of WITNESS TAMPERING, DESTRUCTION OF EVIDENCE, and OBSTRUCTION OF PROSECUTION. The convict posted on Twitter, and planned his next SHOW, telling the victim, "I'LL DO IT AGAIN". Dharum Ravi was not uncomfortable, he sought out details of the victim's life, and encouraged others to. Seeing the victim termed "the Homosexual" and the criminal termed "Student" here shows hate crimes ARE sill alive. If you have sympathy for D. Ravi, invite him into your house for home confinement. I hope it is 5 YEARS+, then deportation. If this happens to you, your children, other family members, or friends, enjoy it.

It is strange to see so many posters with endless sympathy for criminals & none for victims.

Clementi's parents have said they don't want to see Ravi go to jail.

I could care less, it is not one of the issues we need to focus on to get this country back on track so it is irrelevant. So how about this debt?

Forum List

Back