Plastic bag ban, don't let this insanity happen to you

The government has an obligation to reasonably address such things as pollution. Whether or not a bag tax is right or wrong doesn't change the government's obligation. And, chants of "let the market decide" doesn't trump the government's obligation to do something when pollution is a problem.

California "banned" plastic bags.

The businesses were all onboard, because all it meant for them is they charge 10 cents per bag, now.

It was all well and good, until a couple years later California passed another law that said , "send that bag money up to us for taxes"

At first, people tried to do what they were supposed to, they bought reusable bags and brought them to the store.

Now, the checkers scan the crap, and just stand there. You bring your own bag, now they want YOU to bag it. It was worth the 10 cents to put their ass back to work.

You buy bags at the store and they ask you "How many bags you want?"..."i don't fkn know"

The latest chapter is, you buy a plastic bag and they throw it with all the other crap you bought, and expect YOU to bag it yourself. They're trying to eliminate the bag-boy jobs.

------------------------

Last week I go to the store, and I swear, some woman walked out with a 2' x 2' x 3' plastic bin with all her sht in it.

I go into the store, buy a bunch of stuff, the girl at the counter tells me "sorry we don't have ANY bags today"

I said "Well, it looks like i'm walking out with your handcart then"

(I should have stole it)

...and the funny part, California's "plastic bag ban" means plastic bags are 10 cents each.

I can't tell you how much I miss going to the store with no bag issues

"bag issues"?

You really have this much trouble making a decision about BAGS?

This is a no brainier. Even RWNJs can understand that it's stupid to keep up the incredible amount of waste the US does.

Now we need to demand that glass be recycled/reused. Other countries do it but, as usual, the US is running to keep up.

[emoji849]

Sent from my iPad using USMessageBoard.com

I changed every lightbulb in our 2-storey, 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom house over to compact fluorescents, using coupons to reduce the cost. Our electricity use and our went down by 2/3, and in the 6 years we lived in that house after we switched, 2 bulbs had to be replaced.

Conservatives have to be beaten over the head with government regulation to make any forward progress.

I suppose that you're still pissed you can't drive your horse and buggy to work.

I'm not a big fan of compact florescents. They have a lot of small negatives, even if two big positives (lower power and longer life than incandescents). I started using LEDs about ten years ago, and have never needed to replace one. Current LEDs are nearly perfect in every way.

Yes, wanting to use incandescents is like wanting to use horse and buggy on the streets. It's stupid and the government rightly disfavors it. The Amish have a religious objection to cars, but not to LEDs. They won't hesitate to use an LED over an incandescent.

These people not wanting LEDs aren't conservatives, they're ignoramuses. They lack the capacity to appreciate the vast superiority of the LED and the total absence of any reason not use LEDs in most applications. They also ignore the cost to the general public of their "private" choice, such as pollution and higher electric rates.

These people take "Let the market decide" to a crass extreme. No one is being inconvenienced nor forced to violate sincerely held beliefs.

People who want government to mandate the use of LEDs are not libertarians. They are fascists.

The government has an obligation to reasonably address such things as pollution. Whether or not a bag tax is right or wrong doesn't change the government's obligation. And, chants of "let the market decide" doesn't trump the government's obligation to do something when pollution is a problem.
No it doesn't. The only obligation government has is to protect your natural rights. Anything else it does is tyranny.

I have found,that the majority of trash I dispose of is packaging. Milk jugs, bread wrappers, packaging from cookies to heads of lettuce.

Bringing home plastic bags that are used to take packaged groceries from the checkout line to the car and then to the pantry means bringing home even more packaging. Packaging that uses oil to produce, packaging that requires recycling at best, massive areas of landfill space at worst. And if those plastic bags wind up at the landfill, there they stay for the next ten thousand years before they degrade.

The earliest form of written human communication is called cuniform. Cuniform amounts to little symbolic scratched on wet clay. The clay gets dry and the symbols remain. It dates back some 4,500 years.

Why should a plastic bag that was used for less than thirty minutes last longer than cuniform?
Plastic does not last anywhere near as long as you think it does, I've seen milk jugs turn to dust in the UV in a year or two up here.

Use the bags you want to, use the bulbs you want to, recycle only if you want to.... fuck the control freak environmentals. The federal government has no business telling anyone what to do on these issues.

I have found,that the majority of trash I dispose of is packaging. Milk jugs, bread wrappers, packaging from cookies to heads of lettuce.

Bringing home plastic bags that are used to take packaged groceries from the checkout line to the car and then to the pantry means bringing home even more packaging. Packaging that uses oil to produce, packaging that requires recycling at best, massive areas of landfill space at worst. And if those plastic bags wind up at the landfill, there they stay for the next ten thousand years before they degrade.

The earliest form of written human communication is called cuniform. Cuniform amounts to little symbolic scratched on wet clay. The clay gets dry and the symbols remain. It dates back some 4,500 years.

Why should a plastic bag that was used for less than thirty minutes last longer than cuniform?
Plastic does not last anywhere near as long as you think it does, I've seen milk jugs turn to dust in the UV in a year or two up here.
Bury them. No UV light and an anerobic atmosphere and plastic is indestructible,

I'd vote against them if it was up for a vote. It is against the poor that have to walk their stuff home and that is the way I grew up. It is wrong.

Paper bags break too easily and your stuff gets all over the street.

If we killed all the poor, then what would you do for excuses? Seriously, those ultra-light grocery bags are too weak to depend on them if you're walking any distance. I'd think the poor would be delighted to save money and bring their own sturdy bag to a store that doesn't give away "free bags" by increasing the price of the groceries.
What's wrong with everyone choosing the bags they want to use? And not getting taxed…

Because those plastic bags don't deteriorate or go back to the land. When your great great great great grandchildren are walking the earth, your plastic garbage bags will still be with us. There's a cost to get rid of them and if you're going to use them, you should pay that cost.

I'd vote against them if it was up for a vote. It is against the poor that have to walk their stuff home and that is the way I grew up. It is wrong.

If we killed all the poor, then what would you do for excuses? Seriously, those ultra-light grocery bags are too weak to depend on them if you're walking any distance. I'd think the poor would be delighted to save money and bring their own sturdy bag to a store that doesn't give away "free bags" by increasing the price of the groceries.
What's wrong with everyone choosing the bags they want to use? And not getting taxed…

Because those plastic bags don't deteriorate or go back to the land. When your great great great great grandchildren are walking the earth, your plastic garbage bags will still be with us. There's a cost to get rid of them and if you're going to use them, you should pay that cost.
Na, you been reading too many progressive fairytales

Your story that you continue to pay for incandescent bulbs which burn out quickly shows how short sighted you are. I moved into my apartment 2 years ago and changed over all of the lightbulbs to LED or CF's when I moved in. I haven't changed a lightbulb since. The CF light bulbs in the lamps I brought with me are more than nearly 10 years old - they're the ones I put in these lamps when I made the original change over back when I lived in Toronto.

During this same period you've spent hundreds of dollars replacing incandescents AND much higher rates for your electricity.

But hey. You're free to be a fool and waste your money.

I just read that use of LEDs has eliminated the need for the equivalent of 30 new power plants in the US. Any new power plant raises taxes or electric rates, and also pollution. So, everyone has to pay for the ignoramuses who refuse to go LED (hey 1ssholes, there's your libertarian argument for a tax on incandescent bulbs, to pay for the power plants they use, but I don't).

No one has an argument against LEDs in typical applications.

The businesses were all onboard, because all it meant for them is they charge 10 cents per bag, now.

It was all well and good, until a couple years later California passed another law that said , "send that bag money up to us for taxes"

At first, people tried to do what they were supposed to, they bought reusable bags and brought them to the store.

Now, the checkers scan the crap, and just stand there. You bring your own bag, now they want YOU to bag it. It was worth the 10 cents to put their ass back to work.

You buy bags at the store and they ask you "How many bags you want?"..."i don't fkn know"

The latest chapter is, you buy a plastic bag and they throw it with all the other crap you bought, and expect YOU to bag it yourself. They're trying to eliminate the bag-boy jobs.

------------------------

Last week I go to the store, and I swear, some woman walked out with a 2' x 2' x 3' plastic bin with all her sht in it.

I go into the store, buy a bunch of stuff, the girl at the counter tells me "sorry we don't have ANY bags today"

(I should have stole it)

...and the funny part, California's "plastic bag ban" means plastic bags are 10 cents each.

In the Bay Area there are no bag issues. Our store clerks bag for you. I have had a collection of very hardy canvas bags with firm bottoms and they are great.

Your story that you continue to pay for incandescent bulbs which burn out quickly shows how short sighted you are. I moved into my apartment 2 years ago and changed over all of the lightbulbs to LED or CF's when I moved in. I haven't changed a lightbulb since. The CF light bulbs in the lamps I brought with me are more than nearly 10 years old - they're the ones I put in these lamps when I made the original change over back when I lived in Toronto.

During this same period you've spent hundreds of dollars replacing incandescents AND much higher rates for your electricity.

But hey. You're free to be a fool and waste your money.
Na, I spend just over $20 on a pack of 25. They only cost pennies a day to run... I have been doing it for 20+ years - it really cost next to nothing, harms nobody and is nobody else's business. Lol

I just read that use of LEDs has eliminated the need for the equivalent of 30 new power plants in the US. Any new power plant raises taxes or electric rates, and also pollution. So, everyone has to pay for the ignoramuses who refuse to go LED (hey 1ssholes, there's your libertarian argument for a tax on incandescent bulbs, to pay for the power plants they use, but I don't).

No one has an argument against LEDs in typical applications.
You're way off, first of all the cost is minimal and really is no one else's business. You really need to stop being a control freak it makes you look like a fucking progressesive. Lol

Do you think the 4-10 million "illegals" in CA (living 5 to a bedroom) worry about recycling or short showers? Try again. They dump garbage and furniture anywhere they feel like it. The ones' not yet in jail, that is.

They leave bags of used Diapers on the ground outside McDonalds, they stuff garbage cans full outside
Chevron or 7-11 and those are the good ones.

You people can drive your Prius and use your LED bulbs and sit in the dark after a fast cold shower. They pour across the border un-vetted and do anything they feel like doing. Toilets running round the clock, they don't want the manger to see into the studio with 8 dope dealers bagging black tar heroin.

They are not watching PBS for tips on how to Weatherize your home. LOL. They are trying to break into yours.

No one should care what people use for lightbulbs and grocery bags, and recycling should be 100% choice

------------------------

(I should have stole it)

I don't know what to tell you. I use cloth bags all the time, and recycle plastic bags and bottles all the time. As a human being. I think of the so called "Gilligans Island" or the dead zone in the Gulf of Mexico.
A lot of that debris is from plastic bottles, syringes, wasteful packaging and pretty much anything containing plastic. The polymers only get smaller over hundreds of years and never really degrade back to the environment.
Banning a degradable product such as paper which also recycles easily really makes no sense as even the reusable bags use modern toxic processes to create it.
And where does it eventually end up? The landfill or that ocean mass.
Wouldn't it be better if they get recycled and reused, melted down instead of thrown in the ocean or landfill?

------------------------

(I should have stole it)

I don't know what to tell you. I use cloth bags all the time, and recycle plastic bags and bottles all the time. As a human being. I think of the so called "Gilligans Island" or the dead zone in the Gulf of Mexico.
A lot of that debris is from plastic bottles, syringes, wasteful packaging and pretty much anything containing plastic. The polymers only get smaller over hundreds of years and never really degrade back to the environment.
Banning a degradable product such as paper which also recycles easily really makes no sense as even the reusable bags use modern toxic processes to create it.
And where does it eventually end up? The landfill or that ocean mass.
Wouldn't it be better if they get recycled and reused, melted down instead of thrown in the ocean or landfill?
In the U.S. industry moves, mines, extracts, shovels, burns, wastes, pumps and disposes of 4 million pounds of material in order to provide one average middle-class American family's needs for one year. In sum, Americans waste or cause to be wasted nearly 1 million pounds of materials per person every year.
The bags are not so much the problem as is all the crap put into them.

Yeah it would be nice if people actually did recycle. Look in any trash bin and you will find it full of recyclable materials. People did better with a deposit system with glass.
Even with simple sorting loads still get contaminated which renders the recyclables useless.
Apparently it's just to hard for people to figure out.

Last edited:
You're way off, first of all the cost is minimal and really is no one else's business. You really need to stop being a control freak it makes you look like a fucking progressesive. Lol

About a decade ago, the voters here approved a bond issue to build a new power plant. To pay for the 30-year bond, electric rates when up 18%. That's not minimal. And, there's no reason anyone would want to avoid LEDs, other than ignorance.

Why don't you start a topic where you can b1tch about the existence of traffic laws and building regulations.

Forum List

Back