Plastic bag ban, don't let this insanity happen to you

Here is something to note. The paper bags sometimes come with insects hiding in them, particularly cockroaches. The cloth bags get contaminated from groceries, particularly meats, vegetables, and fruits. That means they need to be washed. Plastic is the most sterile and so, well worth the dimes.
My mother's cloth bags just go in the laundry.

A typical family will fill several per year with typical non recyclable materials. All types of plastics, heavy metals, hazardous chemicals are illegally dumped into the trash by those who ignore what is allowed in trash.
Our dumpsters are hit with illegal trash on weekends of which my boss is liable for the cost of the illegal trash.
Point is...these bans of bags or lightbulbs are pointless. There are bigger fish to fry than feel good policies which have no real effect on helping the environment.
However. If a LED or a reusable shopping bag help you think you are saving the earth. Well, good for you and your delusion that you made a difference.

Kuddos to you for recognizing how much waste is generated. But, how do you go from there to your position against efforts to reduce waste?

The shift to LED bulbs has eliminated the need for 30 new power plants. The shift to LED bulbs has saved many families hundreds of dollars each per year, and all families who switch have significantly reduced electric bills. It's your delusion that LEDs haven't made a difference.

California "banned" plastic bags.

The businesses were all onboard, because all it meant for them is they charge 10 cents per bag, now.

It was all well and good, until a couple years later California passed another law that said , "send that bag money up to us for taxes"

At first, people tried to do what they were supposed to, they bought reusable bags and brought them to the store.

Now, the checkers scan the crap, and just stand there. You bring your own bag, now they want YOU to bag it. It was worth the 10 cents to put their ass back to work.

You buy bags at the store and they ask you "How many bags you want?"..."i don't fkn know"

The latest chapter is, you buy a plastic bag and they throw it with all the other crap you bought, and expect YOU to bag it yourself. They're trying to eliminate the bag-boy jobs.

------------------------

Last week I go to the store, and I swear, some woman walked out with a 2' x 2' x 3' plastic bin with all her sht in it.

I go into the store, buy a bunch of stuff, the girl at the counter tells me "sorry we don't have ANY bags today"

I said "Well, it looks like i'm walking out with your handcart then"

(I should have stole it)

...and the funny part, California's "plastic bag ban" means plastic bags are 10 cents each.

I can't tell you how much I miss going to the store with no bag issues

I refuse to use kiosk and self check outs for similar reasons. They want you to be the check out person and the bag boy with no discount. I'd apply for a job before I work for them for nothing.
I would willingly pay a premium to use self checkouts...I have found it much easier and faster. I also don't have to worry about the baggers (more or less equally split between disinterested teenagers and burned-out stoners) doing things like bagging sandwich rolls under canned fruit, or raw meat with insecticide.

Here is something to note. The paper bags sometimes come with insects hiding in them, particularly cockroaches. The cloth bags get contaminated from groceries, particularly meats, vegetables, and fruits. That means they need to be washed. Plastic is the most sterile and so, well worth the dimes.
My mother's cloth bags just go in the laundry.

So do mine. I wash them regularly.

California "banned" plastic bags.

The businesses were all onboard, because all it meant for them is they charge 10 cents per bag, now.

It was all well and good, until a couple years later California passed another law that said , "send that bag money up to us for taxes"

At first, people tried to do what they were supposed to, they bought reusable bags and brought them to the store.

Now, the checkers scan the crap, and just stand there. You bring your own bag, now they want YOU to bag it. It was worth the 10 cents to put their ass back to work.

You buy bags at the store and they ask you "How many bags you want?"..."i don't fkn know"

The latest chapter is, you buy a plastic bag and they throw it with all the other crap you bought, and expect YOU to bag it yourself. They're trying to eliminate the bag-boy jobs.

------------------------

Last week I go to the store, and I swear, some woman walked out with a 2' x 2' x 3' plastic bin with all her sht in it.

I go into the store, buy a bunch of stuff, the girl at the counter tells me "sorry we don't have ANY bags today"

I said "Well, it looks like i'm walking out with your handcart then"

(I should have stole it)

...and the funny part, California's "plastic bag ban" means plastic bags are 10 cents each.

I can't tell you how much I miss going to the store with no bag issues

I refuse to use kiosk and self check outs for similar reasons. They want you to be the check out person and the bag boy with no discount. I'd apply for a job before I work for them for nothing.
I would willingly pay a premium to use self checkouts...I have found it much easier and faster. I also don't have to worry about the baggers (more or less equally split between disinterested teenagers and burned-out stoners) doing things like bagging sandwich rolls under canned fruit, or raw meat with insecticide.

Never had that problem, you must live in a really shitty area.

The local Walmart has about a dozen self-checkouts. Nearly all the time, there's at least one not being used. If I have a few items, I get through the check out in under a minute, hardly taking the time to slow up on my way out. I wouldn't pay a premium for it, but I wouldn't spite myself by saying "it's not my job".

The people who don't want to use self-checkouts, I presume, are incompetent. That's not a judgement, just that old people might be baffled by what's simple for the rest of us. They won't confess to being baffled, they just insist it's not their job.

Society changes for economic (efficiency) and social reasons. While social change is expected to be controversial, the only people who whine about economic change are incompetent people who are baffled by new things. Young people probably generally easily take to reusable shopping bags while older people are set in their disposable bag ways. But, disposable bags are more convenient (and still, there's no excuse for anyone avoiding LED bulbs).

Untrue. Recycling glass uses less energy than making new glass. (Also, obviously, it saves landfill space.)

I think the efficiency of recycling varies by what's being recycled. And, the benefit varies by the calculations. I would expect any advocate of recycling to use favorable assumptions on cost. Recycling also has the cost of the consumers' effort, which enters no one's dollar calculations. How much would someone have to be paid to voluntarily recycle? Some people do it free. Many would need to be paid a prohibitive amount.

I haven't seen bag boys in grocery stores since the 1970's. The checkout clerks bag groceries in the better stores. It's DIY time at the discount stores.

As much as possible, I get my meat and produce from farmers' markets. Cheaper, fresher and healthier.

Forum List

Back