‘Pink taxis’ promise Egyptian women comfy rides without fear of sexual harassmen

Sally

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2012
It's a shame that these women can't take buses or regular taxis without fear of sexual harassment, but I guess these pink taxis are the next best thing.

‘Pink taxis’ promise Egyptian women comfy rides without fear of sexual harassment

Anadolu Agency

Dina, a housewife who lives in Cairo, says she often shies away from taking public transportation – or taxis driven by men – to avoid potential sexual harassment.

But a new cab service catering exclusively to female passengers is making the mother of two young children excited. The ‘pink taxi,’ expected to hit the streets of Cairo soon, will provide transportation services for women by women.

“This is a brilliant idea,” she said. “The pink taxis will help me go out without fear, especially since my husband isn’t always available to drive me.”

According to a UN report issued in 2013, 99.3 percent of women in Egypt say they have been subject to sexual harassment. The same report found that 91.5 percent had experienced “unwelcome physical contact.”
Continue reading at:

Continue reading at:

Pink taxis promise Egyptian women comfy rides without fear of sexual harassment Egypt Independent

Not going to make driving in the cities any safer. You have to be part crazy to drive or get into a taxi. hopefully the new capita will have a tram or subway for public transit.

Forum List

Back