Pickup Truck Drivers

Most often, I set my cruise a few mph above the speed limit. When I see someone pass me at 90, I tell the Mrs. "I can go that fast, but I don't want to".

And I can go that fast. But why?

There have been instances when I'm in the left lane, expeditiously passing... when BAM - there's a 500 Series BMW on my ass. Sometimes my mood strikes, and I leave Mr. Beemer in my rear view mirror. Just because I happen to be pissed off at that moment.

Fuck you hot-rodders. Poser-bitches piss me off.

So you're only a part time control freak........ Well I guess it's better than full time....... :eusa_angel:

Meh...try driving anywhere in Texas without it.
There's no law against it although most wont engage below 30mph. The thing is it's dangerous in traffic.

Below 30 yes, I agree of course.

In traffic, it has served me well.

Cruise control on Toyota products sucks ballz.

Our Jeep, however, handles it flawlessly.

You know nothing about my yotas!!!:D And our cruise works kick ass on both of them. JC

Yup, the wifes' Prius is awesome with cruise control, except on steep hills the variance in mph is + or - 1/4 mph. With my Ram I have to hit the gas at the bottom of semi-steep inclines to get the accelerator control to kick in so my speed won't drop 10 mph before automatically kicking in.

Below 30 yes, I agree of course.

In traffic, it has served me well.

Cruise control on Toyota products sucks ballz.

Our Jeep, however, handles it flawlessly.

You know nothing about my yotas!!!:D And our cruise works kick ass on both of them. JC

Yup, the wifes' Prius is awesome with cruise control, except on steep hills the variance in mph is + or - 1/4 mph. With my Ram I have to hit the gas at the bottom of semi-steep inclines to get the accelerator control to kick in so my speed won't drop 10 mph before automatically kicking in.

But that costs fuel, since accelerating uphill and starting from a dead stop are the most fuel-inefficient moments in ICE driving. If I'm running CC I turn it off up the hill and let it slow up (within reason of course). It's the single best gas saver there is I'll get all that energy back once I crest the hill anyway -- as long as there's not some bozo in front of me hanging on his brakes to stay within an arbitrary speed number...

More often, in a hilly terrain I'll run without CC and just keep constant throttle, letting gravity have its way. I save my accelerating for downgrades, when it costs far less fuel, to build inertia for the next one. There's no particular point in keeping one's speed constant anyway; the purpose of CC is just to relieve the right foot from a constant tension on a long drive.

But that costs fuel, since accelerating uphill and starting from a dead stop are the most fuel-inefficient moments in ICE driving. If I'm running CC I turn it off up the hill and let it slow up (within reason of course). It's the single best gas saver there is I'll get all that energy back once I crest the hill anyway -- as long as there's not some bozo in front of me hanging on his brakes to stay within an arbitrary speed number...

More often, in a hilly terrain I'll run without CC and just keep constant throttle, letting gravity have its way. I save my accelerating for downgrades, when it costs far less fuel, to build inertia for the next one. There's no particular point in keeping one's speed constant anyway; the purpose of CC is just to relieve the right foot from a constant tension on a long drive.

I prefer a constant speed, consistency of driving the eliminates the guesswork in other drivers around me. They aren't left wondering why I keep slowing down and speeding up. I'll "suffer" the slightly higher fuel consumption so I don't appear "asleep at the wheel", i.e. distracted. But more importantly it's the way I prefer to drive.

To each his own. :thup:

I really don't care whether they wonder; if they do they can just figure it out from observing trucks. Or not, whatever. But I'll be damned if I'm gonna let somebody else set my speed for me just because they haven't figured it out. But as I said, 'within reason'. If it's going to impede the flow of traffic, then that's outside of reasonable.

I know a lot of people drive as if the object is to get there yesterday. I've tried it but never figured out what the point of arriving 90 seconds earlier is, so the challenge I give myself is getting from point A to point B not in the least amount of time (which is largely out of my control anyway) but with the least amount of fuel consumed -- which has an actual tangible benefit. The other way costs too much not only in fuel but in physical stress. Playing the hills (or timing lights, etc) also keeps me creatively engaged; too much steady unchanging routine can become hypnotic.

Last edited:
Uummmm, you forgot Asshole #A1
The driver that goes to pass, knowing everyone else in the passing lane is going faster than he/she/it is and refuses to speed up because he/she/it might be slightly inconvenienced and would prefer to inconvenience others then complain about how they drive........ :thup:

That's why I like the idea of ticketing people who hold up the left lane, like they do on the AutoBahn.

If you set your cruise control, and remain on it to pass, you're part of the problem. Just assume, that if you have someone gaining on you from behind in the left lane, it's time for you to get out of the way. You have to be the fastest in the left lane to stay there.

Last edited:
The driver that goes to pass, knowing everyone else in the passing lane is going faster than he/she/it is and refuses to speed up because he/she/it might be slightly inconvenienced and would prefer to inconvenience others then complain about how they drive........ :thup:

That's why I like the idea of ticketing people who hold up the left lane, like they do on the AutoBahn.

If you set your cruise control, and remain on it to pass, you're part of the problem. Just assume, that if you have someone gaining on you from behind in the left lane, it's time for you to get out of the way. You have to be the fastest in the left lane to stay there.

Well not quite. You have to be faster than the lane to your right; obviously if you were the fastest in a given lane it would be impossible for anyone to gain on you from behind. But yeah, it's astounding people don't get the idea there.

A few more points:

Yes, sometimes I do accelerate to pass someone more quickly when it looks like I might be holding up a line of cars going 70.

I use the cruise control to keep from going too slow (I'm old and tend to get distracted). I used to use it to keep from going too fast.

I drive a PT Cruiser turbo and I think I get a little better mileage when I set the cruise on 65. 23 vs 21 on 93 octane.

I don't begrudge 18-wheelers going any speed they want. They are out there earning a living and that trumps my concerns or desires.

you guys are forgetting a couple things. Yes, it is tempting to hold up the speeder/tailgater in the left lane, BUT you need to swallow your pride and move over and get out of the way. You are slowing them down. They are not slowing you down.

Second of all- let THEM get the speeding ticket; they are your radar.

A few more points:

Yes, sometimes I do accelerate to pass someone more quickly when it looks like I might be holding up a line of cars going 70.

I use the cruise control to keep from going too slow (I'm old and tend to get distracted). I used to use it to keep from going too fast.

I drive a PT Cruiser turbo and I think I get a little better mileage when I set the cruise on 65. 23 vs 21 on 93 octane.

I don't begrudge 18-wheelers going any speed they want. They are out there earning a living and that trumps my concerns or desires.

wth does this mean? Many motorists are going to or coming home from work. Trucks don't have anymore right than you.

No, no, no, I prefer the A1+ asshole that speeds up to move over into the speeding lane in front of you ,,and then slows down!
Get the .50 cal headlights ready honey...

A few more points:

wth does this mean? Many motorists are going to or coming home from work. Trucks don't have anymore right than you.

Precisely. Meaning, you're on the road what... two hours a day, tops?

I'm on the road up to 11 hours per day. While you like to thump your chest about going to work, I'm already at work.

No, I'm not claiming "more rights" than your entitled ass. But at the same time, I do appreciate the respect shown by drivers such as DGS49 who realize that their time on the road is a fraction of mine and afford me a bit of courtesy for it.

A few more points:

Precisely. Meaning, you're on the road what... two hours a day, tops?

I'm on the road up to 11 hours per day. While you like to thump your chest about going to work, I'm already at work.

No, I'm not claiming "more rights" than your entitled ass. But at the same time, I do appreciate the respect shown by drivers such as DGS49 who realize that their time on the road is a fraction of mine and afford me a bit of courtesy for it.

you chose your career. That was your decision. I'm on the road all day too, but not in a rig. Don't make ASSumptions about me. In my city, we have more big rigs running through here in ONE DAY than you'll see all MONTH.

google Windsor-Detroit corridor. Both sides are about to build a second bridge. We already have an old tunnel as well.

That's quite alright. I tend to stick to the I-10/I-40 corridors (especially in the winter). Much less stress in the south (aside from DFW & LA), and even those two cities are easy to deal with compared to NYC, Chicago, Jersey, or all points north.

IDK why so many people like living up in the snow.

I try to drive a decent speed and steady. I view it as a defeat if I have to use my brakes while I am on the highway.

The fast lane debate is interesting. In one regard it is for passing. In another, the frakkin speed limit is 60mph in town and folks who go much faster are taking a risk with my life. Also, why be a jerk and drive 60 in the fast lane. Plus you never know when someone is in a legitimate hurry to make it to the hospital or home to catch their wife cheating.

Wonder if I'll drive the 68, the MarkVIII or the Aurora tomorrow. The Oldsmobeater gets the best mileage but it is going to be nice out...

I have put as many miles on the highways as many professional truckers. And most of that time I was driving a full sized pickup. I would beg to differ about who the asshole drivers are. Those little Hondas that are all hopped up to look like the Fast & Furious are more likely to dance from lane to lane like fools.

Apparently they aren't the brightest either, because they will run up on my rear bumper like they are trying to intimidate me. LMAO!

Forum List

Back