Colt 6920 Arriving

The Rabbi

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2009
Nashville
So I already own a Colt SP1, Vietnam era looking thing with triangular handguards etc. Honestly it's a piece of shit as a rfle. My M+M Romanian AK47 clone has a better trigger and is probably more accurate. But whatever.
I decided I wanted the closest thing to an M4 without going the SBR route. Advised the Colt fulfilled that I looked around. Wow. My regular distributors (I'm an FFL) had them for like 1100. But I found one at Tombstone Tactical for $900 delivered. And that's the Magpul edition in black. I couldn't refuse. The AR market is so soft everyone is blowing them out at ridiculous prices.
Supposed to arrive tomorrow. Maybe I'll give a range report.

nice although I'm not familiar with that edition I just know that its gotta be nice !!

nice although I'm not familiar with that edition I just know that its gotta be nice !!

CTSP6920MP-B_2.jpg

I'm gonna lose the sissy vertical foregrip. THey just dont do much for me.

Back from shooting it.
It worked. Had one failure but it was crappy reloaded ammo so I dont fault the gun.
The bottom line I'm sorry to say is I think the AR is a shitty rifle. Yeah, everyone makes them. Half of LEs carry them in their trunk or patrol vehicle. The military has fielded it for 40 years under all conditions. They still suck.
Bad triggers out of the box. Annoying "spruung" recoil. Loud. About 3" at 100yards was all I could get. Granted these were iron flip up sights (front sight gas block) and I'm a 52yr guy with glaucoma but still.
My crappy cheap M+M AK47 folder will do about as well, maybe better.

Back from shooting it.
It worked. Had one failure but it was crappy reloaded ammo so I dont fault the gun.
The bottom line I'm sorry to say is I think the AR is a shitty rifle. Yeah, everyone makes them. Half of LEs carry them in their trunk or patrol vehicle. The military has fielded it for 40 years under all conditions. They still suck.
Bad triggers out of the box. Annoying "spruung" recoil. Loud. About 3" at 100yards was all I could get. Granted these were iron flip up sights (front sight gas block) and I'm a 52yr guy with glaucoma but still.

My biggest complaint with the typical ARs is the caliber. If I want a varmint rifle, the .223 is perfect. It is accurate with decent range. But if I want a battle rifle or something to defend hearth & home, I want something more substantial than a 90 grain bullet (I think that is the biggest they sell in .223).

I'll take a .308 or something similar.

Back from shooting it.

My biggest complaint with the typical ARs is the caliber. If I want a varmint rifle, the .223 is perfect. It is accurate with decent range. But if I want a battle rifle or something to defend hearth & home, I want something more substantial than a 90 grain bullet (I think that is the biggest they sell in .223).

I'll take a .308 or something similar.

The AR platform has been the main battle rifle of the US for 40 years. It is in wide use in law enforcement. Some allies, like Israel, issue the gun. It's been popular for that long because it works. Low recoil, quick follow up shots, lots of ammo with little weight. Try humping 300rounds of 308 around for a day.

Nice choice-have dozens of ARs-Colts, Daniels Defense, STI (3 gun race gun) Stag (their 3G competition model) Rock River, DPMS, LMT, Armalite, and recently my favorite-an Anderson arms (local) receiver with another Local top-FAXON arms ARAK 21 which is this thing

ARAK-21? Upper Receivers | ARAK-21 | Faxon Firearms

this is my favorite by far though its a bit heavy for 3G

Colts work great BTW-you made a good choice

Nice choice-have dozens of ARs-Colts, Daniels Defense, STI (3 gun race gun) Stag (their 3G competition model) Rock River, DPMS, LMT, Armalite, and recently my favorite-an Anderson arms (local) receiver with another Local top-FAXON arms ARAK 21 which is this thing

ARAK-21? Upper Receivers | ARAK-21 | Faxon Firearms

this is my favorite by far though its a bit heavy for 3G

Colts work great BTW-you made a good choice
See my review above. The gun worked fine. I'm just not fond of the AR is the problem.

M1A , I like the walnut stocked Scout but the standard length barrel is second choice fer me .

M1A , I like the walnut stocked Scout but the standard length barrel is second choice fer me .

I have an M1A. It is one of my favorite weapons to shoot. It is heavy for hiking, but a pleasure to shoot. And it is more accurate than I am.

Plus I like the thump it puts on things.

Back from shooting it.

Just like you need to work on an M1A to get it to shoot well, you have to do the same to the AR. I am an HK man myself, but the AR can be VERY accurate. I've built several precision rifles for LEO and they will shoot sub MOA out to 600 meters no sweat. It's how you build them that counts.

My Steyr SSG will shoot about 1/3 inch all day long. And that's out of the box. If the gun wont shoot accurately out of the box then it wasnt designed to do that and you dont make a gun do something it wasn't designed for.

So I already own a Colt SP1, Vietnam era looking thing with triangular handguards etc. Honestly it's a piece of shit as a rfle. My M+M Romanian AK47 clone has a better trigger and is probably more accurate. But whatever.
I decided I wanted the closest thing to an M4 without going the SBR route. Advised the Colt fulfilled that I looked around. Wow. My regular distributors (I'm an FFL) had them for like 1100. But I found one at Tombstone Tactical for $900 delivered. And that's the Magpul edition in black. I couldn't refuse. The AR market is so soft everyone is blowing them out at ridiculous prices.

I build ARs for people. I don't make much of a profit, as I do it for fun. It is easy. I agree prices have come down. They will go back up.

If you want a fun 7.62x39, I suggest the Zastava M92 PAP.

My Steyr SSG will shoot about 1/3 inch all day long. And that's out of the box. If the gun wont shoot accurately out of the box then it wasnt designed to do that and you dont make a gun do something it wasn't designed for.

I believe Jeff Cooper noted that inaccurate rifles are not interesting

Post pics!!!!!!!!

I believe Jeff Cooper noted that inaccurate rifles are not interesting
Well it depends. A Cetme is about a 3" gun, which is typical for semi autos of that type. And most people find them pretty interesting. It depends on the purpose. For defense etc a 3" gun will be plenty accurate. For hunting a gun that shoots even 4" will be acceptable.

I build ARs for people. I don't make much of a profit, as I do it for fun. It is easy. I agree prices have come down. They will go back up.

If you want a fun 7.62x39, I suggest the Zastava M92 PAP.
Hope you've got an 07!

is that a serial number reference? Cuz they just came out in 2012, I believe....

Forum List

Back