Pick a Movie and Rate It

Anything with Tom Selleck in it...EXCEPT those stupid 3 men and a baby movies...8 out of 10. PARTICULARLY those mysteries where he plays the sheriff/police chief of some small coastal town, too completely cool. And Monty Walsh..well, all of his westerns are outstanding.

Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory....Johnny Depp completely took that movie over. Also 8-10. Same score for that freaky one (bedroom window?) where he has an alter ego and chomps his teeth, the guy is cinema gold.

No Country for Old Men. Josh Brolin and Tommy Lee Jones.9-10. Riveting plot, fabulous acting, and though I kept expecting Brolin to get killed, by the time he did I'd decided he wasn't, so I was completely stunned (and depressed) when he finally did. But a plot that surprises me seldom comes along and I absolutely loved Brolin's character. I want to marry him.

Men In Black I & II. Laugh your ass off funny all the way through, every single time you see it. (Tommy Lee Jones and Will Smith. Are you kidding?) 9-10

Lonesome Dove. Tommy Lee Jones (seeing a theme here now), the Harvard educated polo athlete...riding fabulous horses all through a wonderful story. 10-10

Braveheart. Best movie ever made. 20-10
Gladiator. Second best movie ever made. 18-10
Conan the Barbarian, Conan the Destroyer....crappy acting, great costumes and sets, fabulous story. 9-10. And the director's cut with Schwarzenegger and the director talking through is 10-10.
Lord of the Rings trilogy. 10-10. They stayed completely true to the story, used actors for characters I would never ever have thought (a pregnant Liv Tyler as an elf princess? She's like 6 foot tall and weighed around 180 lbs, lol, and still pulled it off).
Secret Garden....I don't know when the one I have was made, but it's recent. Fabulous acting by kids, beautiful cinematography. 8-10.

I watched Gandhi when I was really super stoned when it came out and for the longest time thought it was the most spectacular movie ever made. The people I was with had to drag me from the theater because I wouldn't leave before the music was over at the end. Then I watched it again and it just wasn't quite as overwhelming, lol. Still pretty good, 7-10.

The Shining with Jack Nicholson. C'mon, best horror flick ever I do believe. 10-10.

The Corndog Man

A boat salesman (Noble Willingham) in small-town South Carolina gets a pivotal sales call, the first of many from what he hopes is a buyer ready to spend tons of money on a vessel. But he soon realizes that the caller's motivations are personal rather than business-related -- and they're vengeful motivations at that. Fearful for his life, the normally cocky merchant begins to fall apart at the seams, worried for his life. Who wants him dead?

Ok I though it was going to be suspensful, It is an independant film and I rented it to watch with my mom one night while the kids were at there dads house. Anyway about 30minutes into it I realized there was no suspsense, and the foul language was a constant throughout the entire flick, (didn't know peeps in south carolina could use that many words wow) basically the whole movie was an estranged son the attacking the racist boat salesman (his father) and the whole movie the son harasses the salesman over the phone until the salesman loses his job, his girlfriend (if you want to say that) and everything basically makes the dad goes "insane" just from prank phone calls. It was a weird movie and kind of disturbing. But I would only give it a C-, I put it above a D+ because the salesman (actor) was pretty funny as a foulmouthed crabby old man.

Anything with Tom Selleck in it...EXCEPT those stupid 3 men and a baby movies...8 out of 10. PARTICULARLY those mysteries where he plays the sheriff/police chief of some small coastal town, too completely cool. And Monty Walsh..well, all of his westerns are outstanding.

Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory....Johnny Depp completely took that movie over. Also 8-10. Same score for that freaky one (bedroom window?) where he has an alter ego and chomps his teeth, the guy is cinema gold.

No Country for Old Men. Josh Brolin and Tommy Lee Jones.9-10. Riveting plot, fabulous acting, and though I kept expecting Brolin to get killed, by the time he did I'd decided he wasn't, so I was completely stunned (and depressed) when he finally did. But a plot that surprises me seldom comes along and I absolutely loved Brolin's character. I want to marry him.

Men In Black I & II. Laugh your ass off funny all the way through, every single time you see it. (Tommy Lee Jones and Will Smith. Are you kidding?) 9-10

Lonesome Dove. Tommy Lee Jones (seeing a theme here now), the Harvard educated polo athlete...riding fabulous horses all through a wonderful story. 10-10

Braveheart. Best movie ever made. 20-10
Gladiator. Second best movie ever made. 18-10
Conan the Barbarian, Conan the Destroyer....crappy acting, great costumes and sets, fabulous story. 9-10. And the director's cut with Schwarzenegger and the director talking through is 10-10.
Lord of the Rings trilogy. 10-10. They stayed completely true to the story, used actors for characters I would never ever have thought (a pregnant Liv Tyler as an elf princess? She's like 6 foot tall and weighed around 180 lbs, lol, and still pulled it off).
Secret Garden....I don't know when the one I have was made, but it's recent. Fabulous acting by kids, beautiful cinematography. 8-10.

I watched Gandhi when I was really super stoned when it came out and for the longest time thought it was the most spectacular movie ever made. The people I was with had to drag me from the theater because I wouldn't leave before the music was over at the end. Then I watched it again and it just wasn't quite as overwhelming, lol. Still pretty good, 7-10.

The Shining with Jack Nicholson. C'mon, best horror flick ever I do believe. 10-10.

Men in Black I & II are geniuses. Will Smith is so cute!

I couldn't get No Country for Old Men. It could have been a 90 for me, but I couldn't see what the point of the movie was.

Yep. You can always spot people with kids by what TV shows and movies they watch.

:lol: I think I'll never win mother of the year.

I took my daughter to see Love Actually when she was 9. granted I wasn't aware of the faux sex scenes beforehand but still, I'd rate that as a 8 out of 10 movie.

Another movie we saw was The Strangers. Now this movies scared the fuck out of both of us and it really had little blood or gore to speak of. 9 out of 10 for making you jump.

Another really funny movie is White Chicks. the Wayans brothers are hysterical.

I am only to the intermission and Kenneth Branagh Hamlet is fantastic.

I have the good fortune that many of the scenes are available on Youtube, as you needn't rely on my substandard reviewing skills.

I have merely to set the scene:

First my favorite scene so far: Prince Hamlet has killed Polonius in his mother Queen Gertrude's chambers, mistaking him for his step-father, King Claudius. Hamlet drags Polonius' body from the room...later he is apprehended by the king's guards and the scene opens with Hamlet being dragged before the King.

[youtube]6OIWaW0_IzA[/youtube]​

And of course the famous soliloquy "To be or not to be" needs no introduction:

[youtube]-JD6gOrARk4[/youtube]

The use of a mirror is absolute genius.​

More Youtube clips from Hamlet HERE.

Laurence Fishburne's Othello and Leonardo DiCaprio and Claire Danes' Romeo + Juliet are also worth watching.

Last edited:
I am only to the intermission and Kenneth Branagh Hamlet is fantastic.

Thanks for the tip. I am always looking for a new movie to get on Netflix.

I've watched so many movies that people on Netflix said were great and they turn out to be such duds. Sometimes, we'll watch half and send it back because it's not worth the time.

This one looks good. How badly can you mess up Shakespeare?

The last movie I saw was W. It wasn't great but all of the characters were a lot like the real people. 7 out of 10

I loved the previews though, there is a movie I will definately see. Frost/Nixon. It's about a series of interviews of Nixon by David Frost. Frost is obsessed with disgraced Nixon and is quite intimidated by him at first.

A Ron Howard film.

Here's a review:

It wasn't exactly a meeting of minds, nor was it motivated by a need to get to the truth, but the set of interviews that brought disgraced President Richard Nixon into a room with David Frost, is a fascinating historical tit bit – an act of opportunism on both sides that lead to one of the most sensational disclosures in the history of television political journalism. Nixon had broken the law and this unlikely confessional took place in the company of a light entertainment presenter. Imagine Tony Blair confessing he lied about the reasons for going to war in Iraq to Des O Connor and you realise how amazing this actually was.

Howard's film is fairly dispassionate in its treatment of both men. Frost, played with delicious smarm and just the right amount of arrogance by Michael Sheen, is constituted as a fledgling but highly libidinous talk show host, who in Nixon sees an opportunity to reinvigorate his celebrity and gain credibility in the US. Nixon on the other hand is in denial about his role in the Watergate scandal, fired up with a sense of self-righteousness and indignation at the liberal 'sons of bitches' that brought him down and is determined to use the encounter to rewrite history to his own advantage. Both men, it's suggested, have something to prove to themselves and their peers but mercifully the shadowy reflection angle isn't laboured en route to the tense exchanges. The climax, when it comes, manages to be both mesmerising and moving, not least because both actors meet the requirement of transcending mere impersonation and inhabit their characters. When you're told that Nixon's face betrayed, better than any trial, the personal regret, hubristic folly and watershed breakdown in the relationship between the American electorate and its government, thanks to Frank Langella, you believe it.

Frost/Nixon (2008)

A Face in the Crowd (1957) - Part 11/12

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYdiUnfCVlY]YouTube - A Face in the Crowd (1957) - Part 11/12[/ame]

I love this movie its about a big drunk lonesome rhodes (andy griffith) who gets discovered in jail for his singing and guitar playing and he rises to fame fortune and power and campaigns for a senator on his show only to be destroyed by the woman who discovered him by broadcasting his real self live on tv unbeknownst to him, it was hilarious !!!!

Its a Classic A+ !!!

A Face in the Crowd (1957) - Part 11/12

YouTube - A Face in the Crowd (1957) - Part 11/12

I love this movie its about a big drunk lonesome rhodes (andy griffith) who gets discovered in jail for his singing and guitar playing and he rises to fame fortune and power and campaigns for a senator on his show only to be destroyed by the woman who discovered him by broadcasting his real self live on tv unbeknownst to him, it was hilarious !!!!

Its a Classic A+ !!!

omg you and i may be the only people in the fripping world who have watched this movie.....andy was the bad guy...it is the only movie i know where andy was the bad guy...once you got use to that concept the movie was great...

Ha ha It was hysterical ! I love the part where the credits are rolling and a drunk egotistical andy griffith doesnt know that his angry lady friend pushed the sound bite to live and he's waiving at the tv camera saying horrible things like "bye idiots" "they're all sheep" " I own them" "see ya moron" .....I couldnt stop laughing !!!!!

I just finished watching a really old movie called 'The Old Maid' made in 1939 with Bette Davis. It was on TMC and I got sucked in while flipping through channels.

It was pretty racy for the era in which it was made. Two cousin's fall in love with the same man,Clem. The cousin he wants to marry,ends up marrying someone else. Clem then ends up hooking up with the other cousin,Charlotte (Bette Davis) and she gets pregnant. He goes to war (Civil War) and is killed,Bette Davis has to raise the child on her own without scandal,and ends up losing her to her married/widowed cousin Delia,because she cant ruin her daughters reputation by telling anyone her secret. Pretty good in the beginning,a little boring toward the end. I'd give it a 8.

Before the Devil Knows You're Dead (2007)

I was drawn to this movie because I wanted to see Philip Seymour Hoffman in a leading role. He doesn't disappoint in this story of a simple robbery gone terribly wrong.

We were entertained even though it was long by our standards (over 2 hours). This was the first time I had seen Marisa Tormei since her Oscar winning performance in My Cousin Vinny. My husband kept saying that she must have had a boob job because her top was off for most of the scenes.

Beautiful cinematography and good to great performances from Ethan Hawke, Albert Finney, and Rosemary Harris.

90 out of a 100

Planent of the Apes 1968

Biting social commentary combined with superb special effects culminate in one of the best shock endings in movie history.

Heston and Maurice Evans give brilliant perfomances as Taylor the human astronaunt and Dr Zaius the reactionary minister of science and 'chief defender of the faith.'

40 years old and still as vibrant and effective as when first shot.

Just saw Twilight this past weekend. I haven't read the books but my daughter has and we both loved it.

I saw Twilight before reading the books. The movie was enjoyable, so I read through the books fairly quickly. After reading the books, I'm now horribly disappointed with the movie. The characters were cast totally wrong, and they told very little of the best parts of the story. I hope they do better on the second film.

However, I was also horribly disappointed with the last book. It builds up for hundreds of pages, and is a major letdown in the end.

Yep. You can always spot people with kids by what TV shows and movies they watch.

Disagree, especially if we're talking about WALL-E. I don't have kids, and I loved it. And, I just don't see how kids can enjoy that movie. There's very little "Disney comedy", as I call it. It was cute, in some ways, but I loved the philosophical aspects of it more than anything.

Also, my friends and I go to the movies to watch all the Disney movies, and none of us have kids. :(

Forum List

Back