Photorealistic paintings

1167580_719578261392683_2020735941_o.jpg

3 paintings by Alessandro Sannino

Photo realism has been a constant on the art scene for years. The talent that it takes is impressive . Looking at the work of these artists is remarkable. As an artist myself, I just don't get photo realism . Weeks and months spent being a glorified copy machine? I will take the work of Salvador Dali or Edward Hopper over any of these guys.

Last edited:
Photo realism has been a constant on the art scene for years. The talent that it takes is impressive . Looking at the work of these artists is remarkable. As an artist myself, I just don't get photo realism . Weeks and months spent being a glorified copy machine? I will take the work of Salvador Dali or Edward Hopper over any of these guys.

I tend to agree...Spending 6-12 months on one painting is a journey. Five to seven hours and I'm done. The faster I paint, the more kinetic energy I capture, but your style needs to fit your persona and comfort level.

These are absolutely beautiful works of art.

However, I agree that all those hours - maybe weeks - to come up with that kind of realism is kind of a waste of talent in these days of technological advances.

I know it sounds corny, but I prefer some of the simple stuff you can watch that guy paint on Saturday or Sunday mornings on TV. I also like the ones of the lighted windows.

There is a certain level of technical proficiency here, a skill set, that is almost superhuman to achieve. I certainly appreciate that. But is that ART? Of course it is. Oliver Sacks reported the savantic skills of a young boy that could draw pictures of London JUST FROM MEMORY! People carve images into rice. There are people that use the etch-a-sketch to create near photographic images….I never understood Jackson Pollock, and the school of abstractionism, either. ART is something of the soul, the heart, passion. If people feel moved to mimic the art of photography, there is a whole world open to that. Who hasn’t at one time or other, copied a photo? Used to be, that kind of thing was discouraged in the art community. It was cheating. A lie. I see it as, another source of inspiration. Savants like Rembrandt to Rockwell. Just as worthy of note.

Last edited:
Yep. I can get close to photo realism but for me art should reveal the method involved. I want to see some brush strokes, otherwise a camera can do it quicker. That isn't to say it isn't very impressive, especially those who do it in 3D and make videos, fine craftsmanship but that isn't what I consider art.

There is a certain level of technical proficiency here, a skill set, that is almost superhuman to achieve. I certainly appreciate that. But is that ART? Of course it is. Oliver Sacks reported the savantic skills of a young boy that could draw pictures of London JUST FROM MEMORY! People carve images into rice. There are people that use the etch-a-sketch to create near photographic images….I never understood Jackson Pollock, and the school of abstractionism, either. ART is something of the soul, the heart, passion. If people feel moved to mimic the art of photography, there is a whole world open to that. Who hasn’t at one time or other, copied a photo? Used to be, that kind of thing was discouraged in the art community. It was cheating. A lie. I see it as, another source of inspiration. Savants like Rembrandt to Rockwell. Just as worthy of note.

Franz Hals could look at a subject portrait, go in another room and come back with a finished painting that was photographic in 20 minutes before cameras were invented, yet considered a second tier painter.

Great paintings have idealistic intellectualism in them in my view, or the message is greater than the craft involved. Look at Grandma Moses, great painter, little craft.

Last edited:
Banksy, that icon of current form of street art, graphitii. Worthy of note, too. side note. People used to create art on caves of Lasacoux. But is it art? Yes. But when someone vandalizes your property without your permission . that is art too. Or is it? What is art ?

Last edited:
Banksy, that icon of current form of street art, graphitii. Worthy of note, too. side note. People used to create art on caves of Lasacoux. But is it art? Yes. But when someone vandalizes your property without your permission . that is art too. Or is it? What is art ?

Art is the magical moment when someone gazes at the soul of the subject matter and sees it clearly...

I believe you may mean Lascaux.

We're taking an extended trip to France and Belgium in May and the prehistoric art caves are at the top of the list. The website is just beautiful -

Lascaux

Its in French but easy to understand. Turn up your speakers and enjoy the trip.

`

These are absolutely beautiful works of art.

However, I agree that all those hours - maybe weeks - to come up with that kind of realism is kind of a waste of talent in these days of technological advances.

I know it sounds corny, but I prefer some of the simple stuff you can watch that guy paint on Saturday or Sunday mornings on TV. I also like the ones of the lighted windows.

Guy with the 70s afro? Ya he was fun to watch and listen to. :)

These are all freakin' amazing. There is so much unique talent out in the world..

The quicker I do art projects the more beautiful they turn out.
Excessive planning stresses me out lol

Forum List

Back