Photo of Airman kissing MIA-POW symbol causes uproar

OriginalShroom

Gold Member
Jan 29, 2013
This photo has caused a real firestorm among the miltiary, retired, active, and prior service, over the past 24 hours.

bilde

http://www.airforcetimes.com/articl...o-airman-kissing-POW-MIA-symbol-causes-uproar

Since then, she has been promoted to SSgt in the Security Police and won numerous awards.

The Air Force has opened an investigation today.

Should she be punished now for what she did three years ago?

I say a definate yes.

What she did is as bad if not worse than setting the American Flag on fire and stomping on it while in uniform. I am all for an Article 15 and the loss of that SSgt stripe. I see this should end her career in the military.

Last edited:
I guess she thought it cute to be giving tongue to a POW/MIA.
Not very smart, is she?

The following is her final post on her facebook page before she took it down..

Some people got screencaps of it..

Cherish Byers said “Im going to say this one, then im walking away from all of you perfect people because no one has ever made a mistake. This pic is 3 years old. I was a young airman who didn’t care(non uncommon) I was young and dumb, …since then I have made airman of the month, airman of the quarter, diamond sharp award, achievement medal, not to mention I go to school full time, volunteer on my off days and my entire career ive never been in trouble. That’s more than most of u can say. There are much much bigger issues in the world to be worried about then a 3 year old pic that was leaked. So get off of facebook, and go take care of your children, because one day it may be them in my shoes, getting called out of their name for a mistake that took a few seconds to make but a lifetime to make up for.

Hardly an apologetic posting.

The following is her final post on her facebook page before she took it down..

Some people got screencaps of it..

Cherish Byers said “Im going to say this one, then im walking away from all of you perfect people because no one has ever made a mistake. This pic is 3 years old. I was a young airman who didn’t care(non uncommon) I was young and dumb, …since then I have made airman of the month, airman of the quarter, diamond sharp award, achievement medal, not to mention I go to school full time, volunteer on my off days and my entire career ive never been in trouble. That’s more than most of u can say. There are much much bigger issues in the world to be worried about then a 3 year old pic that was leaked. So get off of facebook, and go take care of your children, because one day it may be them in my shoes, getting called out of their name for a mistake that took a few seconds to make but a lifetime to make up for.

Hardly an apologetic posting.

Sounds like she's earned her place. And that she's served her country very well.

Go to youtube. Lot's of service members have done embarrassing things. All I care about is that they're putting their lives on the line to protect all of us.

She has the me me me I I I syndrome.

All she had to say was "I was stupid. Had bad judgement. Pic was done 3 years ago. I apologize for offending everyone." and that would have been that. But she had to cop a 'tude about it. Didn't make it better, in my opinion.

All she had to say was "I was stupid. Had bad judgement. Pic was done 3 years ago. I apologize for offending everyone." and that would have been that. But she had to cop a 'tude about it. Didn't make it better, in my opinion.

Maybe she should've done those things. But she's been serving the country for 3 years since that happened. And if she's earned her way in that time then good for her.

Maybe she should've done those things. But she's been serving the country for 3 years since that happened. And if she's earned her way in that time then good for her.

Just because you serve, that doesn't make you a hero or exempt you from reaping what you have sown.

Her career should be over with.

Just because you serve, that doesn't make you a hero or exempt you from reaping what you have sown.

I'll cut a lot of slack for anyone who's defended this country. My guess is that her superiors will handle this and that they'll dismiss it.

I'll cut a lot of slack for anyone who's defended this country. My guess is that her superiors will handle this and that they'll dismiss it.

I don't cut individual GI's any slack. I expect more out of them because they are serving in the military, not less.

I hold them to a higher standard. Just as they should be holding themselves to.

It is a picture of her in front of a silhouette. I think there is nothing wrong with it, odd, but nothing wrong with it.

This photo has caused a real firestorm among the miltiary, retired, active, and prior service, over the past 24 hours.

bilde

Photo of airman kissing POW-MIA symbol causes uproar | Air Force Times | airforcetimes.com

Since then, she has been promoted to SSgt in the Security Police and won numerous awards.

The Air Force has opened an investigation today.

Should she be punished now for what she did three years ago?

I say a definate yes.

What she did is as bad if not worse than setting the American Flag on fire and stomping on it while in uniform. I am all for an Article 15 and the loss of that SSgt stripe. I see this should end her career in the military.

I think you folks that are so upset about this need to get a freaking life. Just stop and think about all the really serious crap that is going on in this country and this doesn't even make a blip on the meter. After 26 years in the military including Vietnam and desert storm this wouldn't even make my top 1000 incidents of bad behavior. Give it a break already and worry about things that really matter.

Last edited:
Sometimes the best humor is offensive. She shouldnt be punished, but people are always looking for a reason to be outraged over something, so im sure she will.

Forum List

Back