Phoenix Mayor Says Boycott Causing "Near Economic Crisis"

The RNC chose Tampa over Phoenix. I wonder if it was coincidence.

Either party is going to make plans for conventions--MONTHS, if not a year, in advance for obvious reasons.--:cuckoo:

$Immigration reform that Obama would support.jpg

most of us said that would happen the day the law was signed into law.

*shrug(

And yet the law is almost VERBATIM the Federal law. You people are ADMITTING you would rather have illegal aliens in the Country then do anything like ENFORCE the law.

Taht is a talking point...it is not ver verbatim the federal law..I can tell you what law is on the book here already....and it says, HIRING THEM IS ILLEGAL but over 50% of businesses here hire them. THAT IS THE PROBLEM.

How nice then for the people of Arizona that this law gives them the power to sue local officials that don't enforce the law. Maybe threat of lawsuits will get the local governments to enforce the employment laws.

Thanks. Just goes to show that when it comes to immigration--both parties won't touch it with a ten foot pole--scared to death they will lose the Latino vote--in this country. So instead of actually doing something about it--which we have been promised by both sides of the isle for decades--they simply avoid it--and let someone else (like Arizona) deal with it--

Maybe, I missing it, but I haven't see any article about arrests as result of the new law.
Laws don't go in to effect immediately following a signature.
Without looking, it probably goes into effect July1 or Jan 1

I think it goes into effect 90 days after Brewer signed it, but I could be wrong.
You're right:
The passage of the law, which is slated to take effect 90 days after the current legislative session adjourns, prompted immediate and strong reactions.

Phoenix Says Immigration Law Boycott Is Causing 'Near Economic Crisis' | TPMMuckraker

Zachary Roth | May 13, 2010, 3:02PM

The City of Phoenix -- a convention hot-spot -- is facing a "near economic crisis" caused by lost revenue stemming from organizations canceling events in response to Arizona's controversial immigration law, according to its mayor. <more>

NICE TRY--BUT THAT IS NOT WHAT THE ARTICLE STATES---:lol::lol:

In the wake of the bill's passage last month, immigration rights leaders, including Rep. Raul Grijalva (D-AZ), have called for a nationwide boycott of the state. This week, at the request of Mayor Phil Gordon, a study was presented to the city council on the potential economic impact of canceled trips.

In Other Words--this was a study--as yet NO ONE has cancelled a convention.

If you're NEW on this board--you must actually READ the links that liberals post--because they have a habit of trying to make a statement about a linked article that is simply not TRUE. This one is a good example.

What about this one?

The city risks losing as much as $90 million in hotel and convention business over the next five years because of the controversy, according to city estimates released Wednesday. The state's hotel and lodging association has counted 23 canceled meetings for a loss of between $6 and $10 million. On Wednesday, Los Angeles became the largest city to join the boycott.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/05/12/AR2010051203317.html?hpid=topnews

Last edited:
Yes, Willow, it is just you. The rest of us realize that the idea of a officer being able to stop you for no reason, demand papers, and take you to jail if you do not have proof of citizenship on your person is antithetical to our legal traditions.

show us where in this Bill a cop can pull you over ....for the hell of it....
What planet do you live on???????

The pigs have ALWAYS been able to pull you over .... "for the hell of it" ....!!!!!!!

They just make up an excuse, no judge would ever question it, and the pigs know it.

I'm sure you've heard the expression "DWB" Driving While Black. Well if white person wants to know what that means just grow a beard and ride a motorcycle and the pigs will educate you .

For example, I was going south on my bike and a Pig passes me going north. In my rear view mirror I see him turn around in the middle of the empty wooded homeless road, so I knew he was going to pull me over. I made sure I came to a full stop at the corner before I made my right turn. Immediately after the turn the Pig pulled me over so quickly I didn't turn off the turn signal, (which do not turn off automatically on bikes for the information of those who don't ride motorcycles).

As he was checking my papers I asked him why he stopped me, and with the light still blinking, he said I didn't signal my turn. Obviously the pig was trying to provoke me!!!! I could give you a million other examples from the almost 50 years I've been riding a motorcycle.

most of us said that would happen the day the law was signed into law.

*shrug(

wow...jillian's so smart!!!

here's another headline....

"AZ Governor Doesn't Care About Convention Cancellations"

I think she's more concerned about upholding the laws of this land, put in place to protect it's citizens.

She will care pretty soon, they did back in the 80s.

Then why is it there are over 50% of all businesses here that HIRE illegals and there is a law on the books that makes it ILLEGAL to hire them?

This will turn out just like the MLK birthday celebration.....wait for it and literally mark my words here. :lol:

Phoenix Says Immigration Law Boycott Is Causing 'Near Economic Crisis' | TPMMuckraker

The City of Phoenix -- a convention hot-spot -- is facing a "near economic crisis" caused by lost revenue stemming from organizations canceling events in response to Arizona's controversial immigration law, according to its mayor. <more>

:lol: Democrat Mayor Phil Gordon needs to earn a few political points by making stuff up. This should go in the humor section.

They need to stick it out....boycotters get bored and lose focus soon enough.

I was heavily attacked yesterday in another thread for stating that this law will stay or fail due to it's economic impact. This thread and the original post I believe prove my point. SC conceded within a few weeks after a few events were canceled due to their intent to keep the Confederate flag flying on the state house grounds. It's just a matter of time follks......

The pigs have ALWAYS been able to pull you over .... "for the hell of it" ....!!!!!!!

They just make up an excuse, no judge would ever question it, and the pigs know it.

I'm sure you've heard the expression "DWB" Driving While Black. Well if white person wants to know what that means just grow a beard and ride a motorcycle and the pigs will educate you .

For example, I was going south on my bike and a Pig passes me going north. In my rear view mirror I see him turn around in the middle of the empty wooded homeless road, so I knew he was going to pull me over. I made sure I came to a full stop at the corner before I made my right turn. Immediately after the turn the Pig pulled me over so quickly I didn't turn off the turn signal, (which do not turn off automatically on bikes for the information of those who don't ride motorcycles).

As he was checking my papers I asked him why he stopped me, and with the light still blinking, he said I didn't signal my turn. Obviously the pig was trying to provoke me!!!! I could give you a million other examples from the almost 50 years I've been riding a motorcycle.

what no quotes from Rush?.....not every "PIG" is like that dipshit....maybe if you would clean yourself up and look half-ass human you would not get pulled over all the time.....your one of those assholes who undoubtedly has an attitude toward cops....just calling them "pigs" tells me volumes about you and how you view them....

what no quotes from Rush?.....not every "PIG" is like that dipshit....maybe if you would clean yourself up and look half-ass human you would not get pulled over all the time.....your one of those assholes who undoubtedly has an attitude toward cops....just calling them "pigs" tells me volumes about you and how you view them....

What does this thread have to do with pigs?

I just am perplexed by so called Americans who want to punish Arizona for upholding the "rule of law" Is it just me :eusa_eh:

it is amazing...the economy is not doing so well, so lets hurt people's livelihoods because of a law that seeks to only enforce federal law and specifically makes it illegal to profile based on race...

Forum List

Back