Zone1 Philadelphia has created its first historic district designated to recognize Black history

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Philadelphia has its first local historic district designated to recognize its Black history.

Concerns about demolitions in 2020 and continued development pressure in the area inspired the nearly two-year effort by the South of South Neighbors Association and the Preservation Alliance for Greater Philadelphia to lobby for the historic district, backed by the neighborhood’s City Councilmember Kenyatta Johnson. The nomination highlights both the cultural heritage and architectural style of the area. The Historical Commission’s Committee on Historic Designation recommended the commission create the district at a meeting last month.

The Christian Street/Black Doctors Row Historic District joins more than 30 districts on the Philadelphia Register of Historic Places. The stretch of Christian Street from South Broad to South 20th Streets consists of 154 properties. People who lived and worked on these blocks include prominent Black doctors, pastors, architects, small business owners, and politicians. Members of the community called it Doctors Row because of the professionals who lived there and the nearby Mercy Hospital and School for Nurses, a premier Black medical institution.

Very nice! Although, I would have expected Philadelphia would have done this or anything like this previously.

Philadelphia has its first local historic district designated to recognize its Black history.

Concerns about demolitions in 2020 and continued development pressure in the area inspired the nearly two-year effort by the South of South Neighbors Association and the Preservation Alliance for Greater Philadelphia to lobby for the historic district, backed by the neighborhood’s City Councilmember Kenyatta Johnson. The nomination highlights both the cultural heritage and architectural style of the area. The Historical Commission’s Committee on Historic Designation recommended the commission create the district at a meeting last month.

The Christian Street/Black Doctors Row Historic District joins more than 30 districts on the Philadelphia Register of Historic Places. The stretch of Christian Street from South Broad to South 20th Streets consists of 154 properties. People who lived and worked on these blocks include prominent Black doctors, pastors, architects, small business owners, and politicians. Members of the community called it Doctors Row because of the professionals who lived there and the nearby Mercy Hospital and School for Nurses, a premier Black medical institution.

Very nice! Although, I would have expected Philadelphia would have done this or anything like this previously.
would this be culture shaming since the black community there has fallen so far??

🤷‍♀️ Maybe. I think they were looking at tearing stuff down according to the article. There are more than 30 other historic districts I might be able to get mugged or shot at.

Whatever BS is happening right now---if it's happening---will be coming to an end really soon.

It will be good all the way around. it will be healing and healthy.

How stunning and brave.

Is the murder rate set to skyrocket there now?

1657315942155.png

I'll put that on the list of places DE doesn't want to go in the United State so long as they don't become very vocal about the burning, looting, and murdering, that goes on in black communities throughout the United States.

*****SMILE*****

:)

Where is the officially designated historic white district?

If there isn't one then this is simply another case of systemic anti-white racism.

Do you support systemic racism? Why or why not?

How stunning and brave.

Is the murder rate set to skyrocket there now?
it's not stunning or brave. Listen, you have people that believe that all Black people are caught up in the criminal justice system. All Black people have always lived in the ghetto. All Black people have always been on welfare. All
Black women are single mothers that dropped out of high school.

The problem is that it isn't true. Maybe people need to remember that and this is one of those ways of showing it.

I am currently residing in a rinky dink town with a Black historical district. In fact, I have never lived anywhere that didn't have a Black historical district except maybe Tucson.

Where is the officially designated historic white district?

If there isn't one then this is simply another case of systemic anti-white racism.

Do you support systemic racism? Why or why not?
I'm assuming it's in the other districts? They have a China town. Nobody is standing outside of China town protesting racism with signs of don't buy anything here.

Some people stop to smell the roses. If you try hard enough, you can smell the tourist money.

Seriously.

Their crime rate aside, it would be charming to preserve the older buildings of African American historic neighborhoods.

I know nothing about Philly's African American history (and do not want to know), but I assume that they have long lived in that city.

Just as San Francisco's Chinatown is a tourist attraction, hopefully Philly's African American neighborhoods can also attract busloads of tourists.

it's not stunning or brave. Listen, you have people that believe that all Black people are caught up in the criminal justice system. All Black people have always lived in the ghetto. All Black people have always been on welfare. All
Black women are single mothers that dropped out of high school.

The problem is that it isn't true. Maybe people need to remember that and this is one of those ways of showing it.

I am currently residing in a rinky dink town with a Black historical district. In fact, I have never lived anywhere that didn't have a Black historical district except maybe Tucson.
The definition of racism is singling out one race to treat in a different manner than others.
And when the government does it....it's called 'Systemic Racism'.

Muhammed
would you like this information? I don't live there so it is hard for me to eyeball/feel it. Politically they are divided by districts. The online "neighborhoods" don't say things like "Little Italy".

Little Italy, Philadelphia is mentioned here:

Greektown is here:

This is the funding from Philadelphia that was used to update neighborhoods here:

and here:

Like I said, I'm rather shocked that they didn't have a historical Black district.

Right now the wrong people seem to be in control of the narratives. White people that came to the US were usually never white enough. Never white enough, never clean enough and never Christian enough. White people lived hand to mouth. Once upon a time horses were treated better than men. White men.

In fact, if we just gender for the hell of it we can say that they are treated as expendable now and are repeatedly blamed for things beyond their control.

Women are continuously portrayed as never working outside of the home until the women's movement. That's not how that went down. Now we have an entire generation that believes that lie and thinks they are victims. It's BS.

Maybe what the younger generations need to be reminded of is that there is a huge group of people that are being ignored and they made sacrifices and worked their behinds off and accomplished the American dream. They were somebodies. I really think we need to celebrate people that set goals and achieved them.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back