Peter Gleick; Just Another Warmista Liar?

JimBowie1958

Old Fogey
Sep 25, 2011
Peter Gleick – the Johann Hari of climate 'science' – Telegraph Blogs

So now we know the identity of the Fakegate fake. His name is Peter Gleick, he has a PhD from Berkeley, he's the winner of a MacArthur genius award, he's a member of the National Academy of Sciences, and he runs a Californian research organisation called the Pacific Institute which advises, inter alia, on "integrity" in science. ...

Hey, but wait just a second. What's this? A confession from one Peter Gleick. Turns out he was the fakester who tricked those documents out of the Heartland Institute in Fakegate.

Here's part of his confession (which you can read in full at Watts Up With That?)

In an effort to do so, and in a serious lapse of my own and professional judgment and ethics, I solicited and received additional materials directly from the Heartland Institute under someone else’s name. The materials the Heartland Institute sent to me confirmed many of the facts in the original document, including especially their 2012 fundraising strategy and budget. I forwarded, anonymously, the documents I had received to a set of journalists and experts working on climate issues. I can explicitly confirm, as can the Heartland Institute, that the documents they emailed to me are identical to the documents that have been made public. I made no changes or alterations of any kind to any of the Heartland Institute documents or to the original anonymous communication.

I will not comment on the substance or implications of the materials; others have and are doing so. I only note that the scientific understanding of the reality and risks of climate change is strong, compelling, and increasingly disturbing, and a rational public debate is desperately needed. My judgment was blinded by my frustration with the ongoing efforts — often anonymous, well-funded, and coordinated — to attack climate science and scientists and prevent this debate, and by the lack of transparency of the organizations involved. Nevertheless I deeply regret my own actions in this case. I offer my personal apologies to all those affected.

The Heartland Institute is unimpressed by this classic, even-though-I-did-wrong-my-cause-was-just-so-I'm-right-really non-apology.

A mere apology is not enough to undo the damage.

In his statement, Gleick claims he committed this crime because he believed The Heartland Institute was preventing a “rational debate” from taking place over global warming. This is unbelievable. Heartland has repeatedly asked for real debate on this important topic. Gleick himself was specifically invited to attend a Heartland event to debate global warming just days before he stole the documents. He turned down the invitation.

Gleick also claims he did not write the forged memo, but only stole the documents to confirm the content of the memo he received from an anonymous source. This too is unbelievable. Many independent commentators already have concluded the memo was most likely written by Gleick.

We hope Gleick will make a more complete confession in the next few days.

And the fallout for Mr Gliarcken:

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2012/02/20/breaking-gleick-confesses/

You cant really blame Gulagen, though, can you? This kind of thing worked for Stalin.

But what is it with the Warmista crowd? I mean if the science is really behind them as they claim, why would someone destroy their own career to fake smear bullshit on an opposing group? And why would said fraud be celebrated among Warmistas until it was plainly obvious even to the most blind bats that the two page memo was a fraud and Gleiken was the fraudster?

Last edited:
the ironic part to this story is that Gleick got the background information to successfully trick someone from Heartland into releasing memos because he was given an itinerary of HI's conference when he (Gleick) was invited to debate the issues with Taylor. Gleick turned down the offer, used the info to impersonate a board member and get confidential information, then concocted a separate fake memo because there was no 'smoking gun' in what he had purloined.

what an asshole. did you know he was a member of the AGU's committee on ethics in science?

Forum List

Back