PETA Wants Higher Insurance Premiums For Meat Eaters

There's no such thing as no kill shelters. They just ship their animals to places where they DO euthanize.

You couldn't be more wrong. There are several no-kill shelters that have had dogs in there for years. Mighty Mutts, BARC, ASPCA... all no kill shelters.

Hmm I'm in PA and the ASPCA here does euthanize animals that are not adopted. Do these rules differ from state to state? Also, there are no kill shelters here Jillian. They are not the SPCA type shelters but rather animals that are 'fostered' out to home while waiting to be adopted. Lots of them around here.

PETA - People for the Eating of Tasty Animals :eusa_drool:

I love animals -- they're delicious!

I love cats, but I can't eat a whole one.

SPCA and ASPCA are not related in any way, shape or form.

You couldn't be more wrong. There are several no-kill shelters that have had dogs in there for years. Mighty Mutts, BARC, ASPCA... all no kill shelters.

Who told you ASPCA is no kill?

I don't know Mighty Mutts, or BARC. But I know that when my husband was kennel coordinator at the CACC, they got animals from all kinds of "no kill" places. According to him, all no-kill means is that they bring the animals somewhere else when they have to be put down.

As for the ASPCA, do you think that if a dog attacks someone, they let it live in a cage for the rest of its life.

Sorry. I love animals. But truth is truth.

Green rep for donating to no kill shelters.

Thank you. I have 2 cats and 2 dogs that I rescued and they are as good as any purebred animal. Better, even - they don't have the health problems that some purebreeds have.

There's no such thing as no kill shelters. They just ship their animals to places where they DO euthanize.

Not true. As I said, the shelter I support has a farm where they let unadoptable animals live their lives out.

As for the ASPCA, do you think that if a dog attacks someone, they let it live in a cage for the rest of its life.

Whether an animal is put down or not after it attacks someone is not a matter of whether the shelter is no-kill or not. The law dictates what happens to the animal.

PETA is calling on members of Congress to support a "sin" tax on meat. Why? Among other reasons, meat is the number one cause of global warming, a looming environmental disaster that threatens the United States with billions of dollars in damages from rising sea levels, worsening storms, and increased droughts. A tax on meat would help prevent future global warming-related natural disasters by encouraging a decrease in meat consumption.

PETA // Tax Meat!

Interesting take on not eating a nice steak I suppose, if you eat veggies it reduces cattle gas and therefor reduces greenhouse gas. Everytime I see the word PETA I laugh, and the sad thing is that lost in all that craziness is how people can be better educated in treating animals better.
I'd happily pay such a tax. It's not really a bad idea though I also do not approve of PETA.

Who told you ASPCA is no kill?

I don't know Mighty Mutts, or BARC. But I know that when my husband was kennel coordinator at the CACC, they got animals from all kinds of "no kill" places. According to him, all no-kill means is that they bring the animals somewhere else when they have to be put down.

Sorry. I love animals. But truth is truth.

First of all, the ASPCA rejects a lot more dogs than it accepts. Second of all, if a dog is accepted by the A, it has to go through rigorous behavioral tests to see if it can be put up for adoption. If the dog is deemed aggressive, the ASPCA will look to see if it can be rehabilitated and if not, they try to give the dog to a no-kill shelter, but they will put the dog in the CACC or another pound. But any dog that is up for adoption has gone through an aggressive screening process. From what I know of, there has never been any documented case of a dog up for adoption at the ASPCA that has ever attacked someone.

The work that the ASPCA does, helping abused and negelcted animals, is heroic.

Thank you. I have 2 cats and 2 dogs that I rescued and they are as good as any purebred animal. Better, even - they don't have the health problems that some purebreeds have.

I have an 80 lb. pitbull/lab/chow who is now 4 years old. Adopted him from the CACC - he was past his schedule to be uthenized. The guy hadn't showed up to work that day and so he was going to be killed the next day. I couldn't let that happen.. he was only 3 months old. Over $10,000 in vet bills and hundreds of dollars in chapstick spent from the results of receiving too many kisses from him, it was the best decision I've ever made. Monday is our 4 year anniversary. I plan on celebrating it by taking him on a romp in the park. :)

First of all, the ASPCA rejects a lot more dogs than it accepts. Second of all, if a dog is accepted by the A, it has to go through rigorous behavioral tests to see if it can be put up for adoption. If the dog is deemed aggressive, the ASPCA will look to see if it can be rehabilitated and if not, they try to give the dog to a no-kill shelter, but they will put the dog in the CACC or another pound. But any dog that is up for adoption has gone through an aggressive screening process. From what I know of, there has never been any documented case of a dog up for adoption at the ASPCA that has ever attacked someone.

The work that the ASPCA does, helping abused and negelcted animals, is heroic.

No doubt the ASPCA does the best they can. And no,they won't take responsibility for adopting out aggressive animals because they don't want to be sued. If they take in an animal and can't adopt it out or it's too aggressive, it goes to the CACC.

But glad you love your mutt. It's great that you gave him a good home.

We got a bunny from a rabbit rescue. He's the most spoiled rabbit ever in the history of mankind. (He's way bigger and happier now).

NY606.9881534-1-pn.jpg

I have an 80 lb. pitbull/lab/chow who is now 4 years old. Adopted him from the CACC - he was past his schedule to be uthenized. The guy hadn't showed up to work that day and so he was going to be killed the next day. I couldn't let that happen.. he was only 3 months old. Over $10,000 in vet bills and hundreds of dollars in chapstick spent from the results of receiving too many kisses from him, it was the best decision I've ever made. Monday is our 4 year anniversary. I plan on celebrating it by taking him on a romp in the park. :)

I love hearing those success stories.

We adopted our dog from the pound. She's a shepard mix. I wanted a short haired dog and they swore to me she was a short haired dog. She's now almost 19 years old and she's definately NOT a shorthaired dog. I think the mix is sheep. I don't like cleaning up all the hair but she's been the best dog in the world for us. As I've said before, my youngest is low functioning autism. He used to climb the fence and since he couldn't talk, well, it wasn't something I wanted to happen. I thought this dog was dumb as molasses as when I threw a ball she'd just look at me, "What, you threw it, you go get it". But when my son tried climbing the fence one day, I saw her grab him by the jacket and pull him back down. She really watched that kid for me. They've become best friends. I hate to think what will happen when she's gone.

We adopted our dog from the pound. She's a shepard mix. I wanted a short haired dog and they swore to me she was a short haired dog. She's now almost 19 years old and she's definately NOT a shorthaired dog. I think the mix is sheep. I don't like cleaning up all the hair but she's been the best dog in the world for us. As I've said before, my youngest is low functioning autism. He used to climb the fence and since he couldn't talk, well, it wasn't something I wanted to happen. I thought this dog was dumb as molasses as when I threw a ball she'd just look at me, "What, you threw it, you go get it". But when my son tried climbing the fence one day, I saw her grab him by the jacket and pull him back down. She really watched that kid for me. They've become best friends. I hate to think what will happen when she's gone.

Your dog is almost 19 years old???? What do you feed her??

This thread is making me crave steak.

I'm going to broil me a filet this weekend...

Dude... you had me until the word "broil." WTF are you doing putting a steak in broil??

Here - a really quick, easy recipe for filets:

Get an 18/10 11" stainless steel pan. No kitchen should be without this.

Get some whole peppercorns. Pour about 1/4 cup of whole peppercorns into a blender or food processor and chop them very lightly so there are medium sized bits. DO NOT USE ALREADY GROUND BLACK PEPPER!!

Take your filet and coat both flat sides with the crushed peppercorns. Throw on a pinch of kosher salt on each side of the peppercorn crust.

Turn the burner on and make that skillet as hot as possible. Put a few drops of water on it after 10 minutes to make sure it's really hot. Put about 2 teaspoons of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of butter in the pan. As soon as the butter melts and the skillet starts smoking, gently place the filet in the pan. DO NOT MOVE THE FILET! Let it sit there in one spot for 6 minutes. Turn the filet over and let the other side sear for 3-4 minutes.

Take the filet out of the pan. Turn the burner off. Make sure it's off and the pan is on another burner that is not on. Do not remove one moresole of goodness from that pan. Take 1 cup of congnac any grade and slowly poor it on the pan... it'll smoke and it should light a fire. Let the fire burn, cooking the alcohol out. Add 3 cups of cream as soon as the fire is out and put the pan back on a burner on high. Whisk for 1 minute, stop for 30 seconds. Let the cream bubble. When 75% of the cream is bubbling again. Whisk for 30 seconds. Do this until the cream/cognac combination is thick enough to coat the back of the spoon. You've made a reduction sauce. Take your filet which has been sitting for about 10 minutes, storing in every single bit of juice possible and finishing cooking, and put it inside the reduction sauce. Coat both sides of the filet.

Whalla!

For something extra special steam some asparagus and sautee portobella mushroom caps. Put a cap over the filet and pour the reduction sauce over the portobella mushroom cap and filet. Eat the sauce, mushroom and filet together.

DO NOT BROIL FILETS! IT DRIES THEM OUT!

Dude... you had me until the word "broil." WTF are you doing putting a steak in broil??

Here - a really quick, easy recipe for filets:

Get an 18/10 11" stainless steel pan. No kitchen should be without this.

Get some whole peppercorns. Pour about 1/4 cup of whole peppercorns into a blender or food processor and chop them very lightly so there are medium sized bits. DO NOT USE ALREADY GROUND BLACK PEPPER!!

Take your filet and coat both flat sides with the crushed peppercorns. Throw on a pinch of kosher salt on each side of the peppercorn crust.

Turn the burner on and make that skillet as hot as possible. Put a few drops of water on it after 10 minutes to make sure it's really hot. Put about 2 teaspoons of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of butter in the pan. As soon as the butter melts and the skillet starts smoking, gently place the filet in the pan. DO NOT MOVE THE FILET! Let it sit there in one spot for 6 minutes. Turn the filet over and let the other side sear for 3-4 minutes.

Take the filet out of the pan. Turn the burner off. Make sure it's off and the pan is on another burner that is not on. Do not remove one moresole of goodness from that pan. Take 1 cup of congnac any grade and slowly poor it on the pan... it'll smoke and it should light a fire. Let the fire burn, cooking the alcohol out. Add 3 cups of cream as soon as the fire is out and put the pan back on a burner on high. Whisk for 1 minute, stop for 30 seconds. Let the cream bubble. When 75% of the cream is bubbling again. Whisk for 30 seconds. Do this until the cream/cognac combination is thick enough to coat the back of the spoon. You've made a reduction sauce. Take your filet which has been sitting for about 10 minutes, storing in every single bit of juice possible and finishing cooking, and put it inside the reduction sauce. Coat both sides of the filet.

Whalla!

For something extra special steam some asparagus and sautee portobella mushroom caps. Put a cap over the filet and pour the reduction sauce over the portobella mushroom cap and filet. Eat the sauce, mushroom and filet together.

DO NOT BROIL FILETS! IT DRIES THEM OUT!

Can you come over and cook dinner for us tonight?

Forum List

Back