PETA Wants Higher Insurance Premiums For Meat Eaters

Shogun

Free: Mudholes Stomped
Jan 8, 2007
Animals Rights Group Approaches Blue Cross Blue Shield

VERMONT -- People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals is calling on Blue Cross Blue Shield of Vermont to raise health insurance premiums for people who eat meat, and lower the premiums for vegetarians.

In a letter sent Monday to Bill Milnes Jr., president of Blue Cross Blue Shield Of Vermont, PETA's Executive Director Tracy Reiman urged Blue Cross to raise rates on meat eaters because -- she claims -- heart disease, diabetes and other leading killer diseases have been conclusively linked to the consumption of meat and other animal products.

"Given the latest news about the effects of E. coli on meat-eaters -- and the mountain of evidence linking meat consumption to some of our nation's deadliest diseases -- this change will benefit Blue Cross Blue Shield's bottom line while also helping to ensure that your policyholders don't flat line," Reiman wrote.

Reiman went on to point to recent reports of an E. coli outbreak in Vermont. In October a Vermont slaughterhouse recalled a ton of ground beef after 10 cases of E. coli were traced to meat from Vermont Livestock Slaughter & Processing in Ferrisburg. The recall was voluntary.

Earlier in the month, three people were diagnosed with E. Coli in Orleans County. Health officials attributed those cases to raw milk as the source.

"As you might know, E. Coli grows in the intestines of many farmed animals. Slaughterhouses are filthy places, and when animals are eviscerated, feces often spray in every direction," Reiman wrote.

She goes on to claim that vegetarians are less prone to heart disease, certain types of cancer, diabetes and obesity. "By giving your policy holders a financial incentive to go vegetarian -- and penalizing those whose meat-based diets fuel our nation's worst health problems -- Blue Cross Blue Shield could save millions of dollars in the long run," Reiman writes.

But it doesn't appear that Blue Cross will be taking PETA's suggestion any time soon.

"Under Vermont law, we would not be allowed to vary rates based on the dietary and nutritional habits of various members," said Kevin Goddard, Blue Cross's vice president of external affairs. He did, however, say that Blue Cross is always looking to have the healthiest members possible, but "we have no information one way or the other if vegetarians are more healthy."

In September, PETA made headlines in Vermont and across the nation for asking Ben & Jerry's ice cream to use human breast milk in their ice cream, instead of cow milk. "We applaud PETA's novel approach to bringing attention to an issue, but we believe a mother's milk is best used for her child," a representative for Ben & Jerry's said at the time.

PETA Wants Higher Insurance Premiums For Meat Eaters - News Story - WPTZ Plattsburgh

If this had passed, all of a sudden all of Vermont are vegetarians...........

Just like smoking and insurance, how can they prove if you do or don't smoke?

(I'm assuming they still give breaks to non-smokers, right?)

PETA is calling on members of Congress to support a "sin" tax on meat. Why? Among other reasons, meat is the number one cause of global warming, a looming environmental disaster that threatens the United States with billions of dollars in damages from rising sea levels, worsening storms, and increased droughts. A tax on meat would help prevent future global warming-related natural disasters by encouraging a decrease in meat consumption.

PETA // Tax Meat!

Interesting take on not eating a nice steak I suppose, if you eat veggies it reduces cattle gas and therefor reduces greenhouse gas. Everytime I see the word PETA I laugh, and the sad thing is that lost in all that craziness is how people can be better educated in treating animals better.

Although vegans and vegetarians are shown to have less health benefits from their diet

Eat PETA members

Just to set the record straight for those of you out there that may not know this:

->Not ALL vegetarians are members of PETA.

->I have been a vegetarian since I was 14 (many, many, many moons ago) and I'm healthier than most women 10 years younger than me! (I also exercise and make healthy choices most of the time when eating....)

Carry on! ;)

fuck a bunch of peta...they were found to take animals from shelters and then kill them...fuck a bunch of peta b/s...they object to using insulin from animals..yet the 2nd person in peta who is diabetic uses what....o hell animal insulin..did i mention fucking a bunch of peta bs

Just to set the record straight for those of you out there that may not know this:

->Not ALL vegetarians are members of PETA.

->I have been a vegetarian since I was 14 (many, many, many moons ago) and I'm healthier than most women 10 years younger than me! (I also exercise and make healthy choices most of the time when eating....)

Carry on! ;)

I have a great deal of respect for people who are vegetarians for health reasons, but no respect whatsoever for those that are vegetarians because they don't want to kill animals. Plants are alive too, and they are killing those.

fuck a bunch of peta...they were found to take animals from shelters and then kill them...fuck a bunch of peta b/s...they object to using insulin from animals..yet the 2nd person in peta who is diabetic uses what....o hell animal insulin..did i mention fucking a bunch of peta bs

Okay, I'm not as good at counting as I used to be, but I think that's three quarters?!?:lol:

I'm all for animal rights but PETA is way too "out there" for me.

They recently suggested that Ben & Jerry use human breast milk in their ice cream.

*slides mrs shelia a dollar* fuck a bunch of peta....they are so ...well...so...distasteful and what would one call the way the operate..they took animals from nc shelters then killed them and dumped them in a public dumpster....*slides mrs shelia another dollar*....fuck em.

Every time I see a PETA press release or stupid action... I prepare to hunt another animal...

I even explained this to a PETA freak near the metro in VA one afternoon... I basically said to the bitch to shut up, for every time you open your mouth with this nonsense, another animal bites the dust... the look of horror on the freak's face was PRICELESS

Several years ago, in Seattle, some stupid PETA activist threw blood on a woman wearing a fur coat. The woman was in shock, even explained that the coat was FAKE fur. One has to wonder where this animal lover got all that blood.

*slides mrs shelia a dollar* fuck a bunch of peta....they are so ...well...so...distasteful and what would one call the way the operate..they took animals from nc shelters then killed them and dumped them in a public dumpster....*slides mrs shelia another dollar*....fuck em.

:lol:

Last edited:
Several years ago, in Seattle, some stupid PETA activist threw blood on a woman wearing a fur coat. The woman was in shock, even explained that the coat was FAKE fur. One has to wonder where this animal lover got all that blood.

She probably cut herself.

mrs. shelia is again shelia...

mrs. shelia i gotz plenty of cyber money...

donate to your local humane society...geezes how hard is that to figure out. keep all your donations as local as you can

PETA can get to fuck. These people need taken outside and dumped in the ocean. As long as animals are treated ethically and killed in as humane a manner as possible, I will eat what the fuck I want....hell, cage these bastards and give them a quick 9mm to the brain and I might eat them too.

PETA:
People for Extortion Terror and Abuse
People Engaged in Terrorist Activities
People Euthanizing Tame Animals

Forum List

Back