Pet Treats/Recall/Target, Sam's & Costco

wavingrl

Nov 14, 2012
ATL
Target, Petco, Sam?s Club, Costco Recall Dog Treats For Salmonella | Food Poisoning Bulletin

I just bought 2 kinds/Boots and Barkley from Target. Threw them away--I had already thrown away the bags. I still have the receipt--if I feel 'bold' I might ask at the Customer Service desk if Target has any reimbursement policy. I still have the receipt and it was only a few days ago--3 or 4.

At my local Target I have come to expect 'No' as the answer--whatever the question may be. I could drive 5 miles and ask at the more friendly Target --and I think I might do that.

I don't mind being told 'No' as much as I mind the way I am told.

Good luck.

I spilled some high end dog food in the back of my car over the Christmas holidays and the stench was nigh unbearable...between the time it spilled and the time the dogs finally managed to gobble it all up during short trips in the car....that stuff is just putrid. I don't know why more animals don't die from eating it...dogs are just tough.

And I'm so grateful that my daughter no longer looks at pet food like it's candy. I used to have to fight that girl to keep her from munching it every chance she got. Even cat food. She'd SNEAK it, for pete's sakes.

It is always something. My dog seemed to have developed some skin allergies--lots of scratching not flea related.

So by process of elimination I have to try to figure what the cause may be. I had only tried Boots and Barkley 2x--a bit less expensive and Target was convenient. So I will have to search for something else. The chicken strips at the pet store are almost $10 and that is too expensive for me. He likes the new kibble and probably considers that a treat--so I shouldn't agonize.

My saint has allergies...but not to food. I found out after spending I don't know how much trying to limit his food and narrow it down....I took him on vacation to the eastern side of the state where it's cold and dry...and he started clearing up immediately.

Back home, within a month he was itching his ears again, red skin..he's getting hot spots. I'm just hanging on until I get my taxes when I can take him in and get him some steroids again. Always love that. They make him crazy and he pisses in the house...which is a HUGE deal when it's a saint bernard.

But then he'll be good for a few months.

One word...benadryl.

The vet suggested that and I keep it on hand if he seems be scratching himself a lot.

This started mid summer and continued into the fall. I also bought a new vacuum--certain that there are all kinds of 'things' in the carpet. So we shall see.

Someone at the pet store said he could be allergic to chicken. He eats that frequently and that would be a real problem. I bought chicken and sweet potato kibble and buffalo/something. I thought he would be excited by the buffalo so I opened that bag. He kept going back to the chicken and sweet potato bag ---so that is what he is eating.

Not scratching and seems happy. It probably is not a food allergy. jmo.

Target, Petco, Sam?s Club, Costco Recall Dog Treats For Salmonella | Food Poisoning Bulletin

I just bought 2 kinds/Boots and Barkley from Target. Threw them away--I had already thrown away the bags. I still have the receipt--if I feel 'bold' I might ask at the Customer Service desk if Target has any reimbursement policy. I still have the receipt and it was only a few days ago--3 or 4.

At my local Target I have come to expect 'No' as the answer--whatever the question may be. I could drive 5 miles and ask at the more friendly Target --and I think I might do that.

I don't mind being told 'No' as much as I mind the way I am told.
all that stuff is made in China aint it?....my dog is thriving on Blue.....

Penny (border collie mix) also started scratching something fierce a couple of months back. The carpet was littered with her white fur, she was bothered so badly that she was ripping her fur out. She was getting bug bites and we thought it was just that but it continued even after the cooler weather settled in. No fleas, even put her back on Frontline (I usually stop w/the flea drops during the cold months). Nothing helped.

Started giving her DE (Diatomaceous Earth - Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth Health Benefits) everyday. Two weeks later no scratching at all, all the bald spots are slowly regrowing with fur, all the red skin and scabs she got from biting are all healing. I'm convinced she ate something outside (rabbit poo likely) and got some kind of worm or something from it. Perhaps whatever bit her in the fall laid some kind of eggs or something in her? Don't know just know that it's gone. I now give both dogs DE a couple of times a week. Read up on it, the link above has excellent info. Oh, and we found a litter of kittens under our shed last summer and ended up keeping one. He had worms, gave him DE (as well as the other animals) and the worms were gone within a couple of weeks.

Penny (border collie mix) also started scratching something fierce a couple of months back. The carpet was littered with her white fur, she was bothered so badly that she was ripping her fur out. She was getting bug bites and we thought it was just that but it continued even after the cooler weather settled in. No fleas, even put her back on Frontline (I usually stop w/the flea drops during the cold months). Nothing helped.

Started giving her DE (Diatomaceous Earth - Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth Health Benefits) everyday. Two weeks later no scratching at all, all the bald spots are slowly regrowing with fur, all the red skin and scabs she got from biting are all healing. I'm convinced she ate something outside (rabbit poo likely) and got some kind of worm or something from it. Perhaps whatever bit her in the fall laid some kind of eggs or something in her? Don't know just know that it's gone. I now give both dogs DE a couple of times a week. Read up on it, the link above has excellent info. Oh, and we found a litter of kittens under our shed last summer and ended up keeping one. He had worms, gave him DE (as well as the other animals) and the worms were gone within a couple of weeks.

Thanks. I will read about DE.

I don't stay as informed as I should on the pet product recalls. If most of them are produced overseas it is conceivable there are different standards or no standards at all. The same thing could happen in the US I suppose.

Also true for humans.

I'm glad he got better, it is awfully frustrating.

It can be seasonal though, if it's an allergic reaction to a particular plant or pollen. But worms can do it too.

I've taken my boy to the vet, and we're going again here in a couple of weeks (payday)...we just have to manage it.

fyi on the recall:

<Kasel is recalling all lot numbers of the sticks after tests by Colorado's Department of Agriculture found salmonella in the following four lots: BESTBY20APR2014DEN, BESTBY01JUN2014DEN, BESTBY23JUN2014DEN, and BESTBY23SEP2014DEN.

Consumers who have purchased the six-count 5-inch packages of Boots & Barkley American Beef Bully Sticks are urged to return it to the place of purchase for a full refund. Consumers with questions may contact Kasel Associated Industries at 1-800-218-4417.>

Kasel seems to be a company located in CO. fwiw.

Forum List

Back