Personality Set for Life By 1st Grade

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
Our personalities stay pretty much the same throughout our lives, from our early childhood years to after we're over the hill, according to a new study.

The results show personality traits observed in children as young as first graders are a strong predictor of adult behavior.

"We remain recognizably the same person," said study author Christopher Nave, a doctoral candidate at the University of California, Riverside. "This speaks to the importance of understanding personality because it does follow us wherever we go across time and contexts." The study will be published in an upcoming issue of the journal Social Psychological and Personality Science.

Using data from a 1960s study of approximately 2,400 ethnically diverse schoolchildren (grades 1 – 6) in Hawaii, researchers compared teacher personality ratings of the students with videotaped interviews of 144 of those individuals 40 years later.

They examined four personality attributes — talkativeness (called verbal fluency), adaptability (cope well with new situations), impulsiveness and self-minimizing behavior (essentially being humble to the point of minimizing one's importance)

Personality May Be Set By 1st Grade | Children's Personality Traits | LiveScience
Lesson for the day: Don't waste your time. People don't change.

Good point Maddie. I was actually thinking of all my girlfriends who made bad matches thinking "I can change him"

I've seen some studies that suggest the first three years being the most crucial. Disaffective personality disorder has been linked to lack of bonding between mother and baby. Maybe that's why I'm so passionate about babies having babies.

I totaly agree. I have always said and mantain. Little criminals grow up to be big criminals. Bad children grow up to be bad adults.

Good point Maddie. I was actually thinking of all my girlfriends who made bad matches thinking "I can change him"

I've seen some studies that suggest the first three years being the most crucial. Disaffective personality disorder has been linked to lack of bonding between mother and baby. Maybe that's why I'm so passionate about babies having babies.

As I have said before.
A man marries a woman hoping she will never change.
A woman marries a man intending to change him.

Not a bad thing to be passionate about, chanel. I was 25 when my kidlet was born, and scarcely able to mother her well. It has to be a very rare teenager who can do so....I know I could not have.

I was very shy in 1st grade, I am not so shy now. I do still day dream a lot, though. lol

Personally? I think the study is somewhat bullshit. I don't want to go out on a limb and say it totally is but it is in some ways. I know I'm certainly not nearly the same way I was in the first grade. Never mind the fact it's difficult to study certain traits in someone that young.

As a 6 year old I was the shy, non-talkative, go along with the crowd type. Am a far cry from that today. Studies like this are bunky, if you ask me.

Yes, I have heard those first 5 to 7 years, are the most influential and that after 7 years it doesn't matter what you do to change things. "Children learn what they live."

Review of the documentary:

28 Up is the brainchild of expert documentarian, Michael Apted. In 1963, Apted produced a film for the BBC entitled, 7 Up, in which he rounded up 14 seven year-old British children from different social classes and asked them questions about who they were and what they wanted to be. Seven years later, he talked to the same 14 people to see how their lives were progressing. The director repeated the process when the group reached twenty-one, and, believe it or not, was able to corral nearly every one of them again in 1984 for 28 Up.

Each person's story begins his or her introduction as a school child. From there, we get to see their routes to adulthood. Apted uses all four segments to paint a full picture of each life. What is so fascinating is how honest these people are about what went right and what went wrong in their lives, and it's amazing how little--at least, at the core--many of them have changed over the years. As one of these woman mentions, "Your overall character is established by age seven. We're the same people now as we were then."
http://visibletime.ararchive.com/Apted.htm

FOUND IT...I SAW THIS AS A KID AND NEVER FORGOT IT...EXCELLENT FILM

Last edited:

Forum List

Back