Personality disorder = WTF!

VeganMe

Newly vegan
Jul 28, 2012
Quoted from Wiki:
Personality disorder, an enduring pattern of inner experience and behavior that deviates markedly from the expectations of the culture of the individual who exhibits it.

I don't think "personality disorder" actually exists. I think it's completely fabricated because think about it: If you ask person A about person B, and person B acts totally insane IN THE OPINION of person A, then person A will of course say of person B; "that person is CRAZY! He must have personality disorder or something."

Person B could also say the same of person A. That's all it is, OPINION! Mental impairment is real because it affects many people in many different forms. But who the F ever came up with a concept as ridiculous as "personality dsorder?" So, (based on the above description), anyone who doesn't conform to the norm (of the given society/culture you were born into), can be labled as someone "suffering" from "personality disorder." What horse crap! Goodness gracious. Anyone could give that label to anybody if they don't act a certain way. The way society says they should act.

I am just in shock that this is actually a real term. It is both laughable (in its arrogant stupidity) and annoying at the same time. :mad: Anyone agree?

I believe Bipolar is a personality disorder.

I believe bipolar used to be called manic-depressive. Manic-depressive is very destructive, I fostered a niece who was manic-depressive. Bipolar is a watered down diagnosis that is used to excuse someone who is moody and difficult to deal with. Bipolar offers an excuse for pissy assholes to get away with being...well, pissy assholes. If you've ever dealt with someone who is manic-depressive, you would know the very distinct difference.

Last edited:

I believe bipolar used to be called manic-depressive. Manic-depressive is very destructive, I fostered a niece who was manic-depressive. Bipolar is a watered down diagnosis that is used to excuse someone who is moody and difficult to deal with. Bipolar offers an excuse for pissy assholes to get away with being...well, pissy assholes. If you've ever dealt with someone who is manic-depressive, you would know the very distinct difference.

Manic depression was renamed Bipolar, and you sound as if people pretend to have it - they don't.

Manic depression was renamed Bipolar, and you sound as if people pretend to have it - they don't.

pfft

I had a friend that claimed he had ADD everytime he forgot to do something, like pay me the money he owes me.

basically

People will claim to have anything they think they can fake for sympathy.

pfft

I had a friend that claimed he had ADD everytime he forgot to do something, like pay me the money he owes me.

basically

Like it or not, Bipolar exists. Now, ADD, or ADHD, is another thing...

pfft

basically

not what I was saying.

People will fake being bipolar, or any other illness for attention

pfft

basically

not what I was saying.

People will fake being bipolar, or any other illness for attention

Most people don't.

Yes, they sure do pretend to have it. Its a nice catch all "disorder" flavor of the month for acting badly and a way to get away with it.

A lot of parents are now having their children "diagnosed" as bipolar or ADHD to excuse their children's bad behavior.... and or the desire to drug them into submission.

pfft

basically

a subjective group of behaviours we label as bipolar exists

Quoted from Wiki:
Personality disorder, an enduring pattern of inner experience and behavior that deviates markedly from the expectations of the culture of the individual who exhibits it.

I don't think "personality disorder" actually exists. I think it's completely fabricated because think about it: If you ask person A about person B, and person B acts totally insane IN THE OPINION of person A, then person A will of course say of person B; "that person is CRAZY! He must have personality disorder or something."

Person B could also say the same of person A. That's all it is, OPINION! Mental impairment is real because it affects many people in many different forms. But who the F ever came up with a concept as ridiculous as "personality dsorder?" So, (based on the above description), anyone who doesn't conform to the norm (of the given society/culture you were born into), can be labled as someone "suffering" from "personality disorder." What horse crap! Goodness gracious. Anyone could give that label to anybody if they don't act a certain way. The way society says they should act.

I am just in shock that this is actually a real term. It is both laughable (in its arrogant stupidity) and annoying at the same time. :mad: Anyone agree?

Personality disorder is a generic psychiatric term for those people who are not psychotic but who are suffering from (and generally making those around them suffer, too) their own unique collection of neurotic behaviors that make them very hard (often basically impossible) to deal with.

We ALL know people with personality disorders...most of them are medically undiagnosed.

Prisons are loaded with personality disordered folk,

It's a real term, a useful term, but it isn't a term that has a distinct definition because there are SO MANY ways that people can be personality disordered.

Quoted from Wiki:

If you feel this is important you are one with a personality disorder.

Quoted from Wiki:

Personality disorder is a generic psychiatric term for those people who are not psychotic but who are suffering from (and generally making those around them suffer, too) their own unique collection of neurotic behaviors that make them very hard (often basically impossible) to deal with.

We ALL know people with personality disorders...most of them are medically undiagnosed.

Prisons are loaded with personality disordered folk,

It's a real term, a useful term, but it isn't a term that has a distinct definition because there are SO MANY ways that people can be personality disordered.

you are assuming there is an organic cause to what you perceive as neurotic behaviours .. the fact is there is no medical test for any such disorders and therefore no one can be said to be medical diagnosed with a personality disorder...it is a subjective opinion or assessment.. nothing more

pfft

basically

It goes way beyond sympathy now, especially since government has gotten involved. It's amazing what's covered under ADA. Now you can become disabled for just about anything, as long as it "inhibits" your ability to pay your own way. Disability has become yet another form of government welfare.
P.S. I have dealt with someone who truly is manic-depressive. (I refuse to give it the kinder, gentler designation of "bipolar") Until you have had to physically restrain a kid who seems intent on destroying the whole house, and who was shortly before curled up in the shower (until the hot water is gone), you have little to say that might impress me.

Yes, they sure do pretend to have it. Its a nice catch all "disorder" flavor of the month for acting badly and a way to get away with it.

A lot of parents are now having their children "diagnosed" as bipolar or ADHD to excuse their children's bad behavior.... and or the desire to drug them into submission.

That is quite true. Such diagnoses are commonly used as an excuse for poor parenting.

Often prompted by teachers and school administrators.

Personality disorder is one of those things that will be used turn everyone into a pathology. Like post traumatic stress disorder was once used to diagnose those who had undergone an extreme stress. Now it's just ordinary stress, PTSD results from a cake falling out of the oven or a stubbed toe.

Someone who has a personality disorder has a personality. Maybe they are picky about being clean, or don't take a bath often, or play music too loud. They are not discourteous, they now have a personality disorder. With the right therapy and proper medication they can be just like everyone else.

Forum List

Back