Perry's tax plan: Take that 9-9-9

The 20% figure might make sense. That's a matter of numbers crunching only.

The notion of a Flat Tax is simple and appealing.

The notion that it can be imposed in a way that permits taxpayers to opt out of it in favor of the present disastrous tax code is dangerous. For once the Congress CAN levy a new tax, it will.

Like the 9-9-9 plan, it probably needs to be fine tuned and have lots of potential kinks worked out.

but unlike the Flop-in-Chief, at least Gov. Perry and Mr. Cain HAVE come forward with plans that CAN be subject to modification and fine-tuning.

If it comes down to a debate BETWEEN the 9-9-9 plan and the 20% Flat tax, we could all win. THAT'S the realm where we want the choices to be.

I wish Perry could grunt out a coherent and consistent message. But like Mr. Cain, even with his warts, he is VASTLY superior to the present infestation in the Oval Orifice.

I'm curious about something....just your opinion.

We don't agree on much politically but I admire the way you make your case most of the time.

So here it goes.

Twenty Percent. 2-0.

Do you think that Perry put any thought into it at all? I mean...20. An even number.
It would seem to me that unless there was some sort of fluke that having a perfectly rounded number where the government would only need precisely 20% is more of a slogan than any sort of product/dividend of a mathematical equation.

Cain's 9-9-9 plan, at least, has the aura of being an odd number as to where it at least appears that there was some math behind it.

So, do you think the magical 20% figure was arrived at or was decided before hand. It sounds high to me, by the way. One dollar in every five I earn goes to Uncle Sam before I pay a cent in State or Local income tax?

I don't Know that Perry came up with that figure.

And when it comes to theoretical proposed flat tax systems, I doubt the purists would agree to that number under circumstances where people can "opt out" and use the present fiasco of a system.

And whatever some people call loopholes would have to get closed. Sadly, that would probably include deducting the interest costs for mortgages, so it would draw heavy opposition.

But I'm not sure it is just some magical thinking phony number, either.

If you think about it, we taxpayers tend to pay a LOT more than 20% We pay maybe somewhere around 1/3rd to the Fed (give or take deductions and other such things). But then we pay STATE tax. And local taxes, like school district taxes, and sewer district taxes and so forth. THEN, of course, we pay sales taxes imposed by the Fed. Think gasoline. THEN we pay sales taxes on top of that for almost everything we buy (except, mercifully, groceries).

Folks have calculated this mess and come to the conclusion that we pay (on average) around 50% or more of every dollar we earn to TAXES.

I think a tax break from the feds to ONLY 20% would be nice for many of us.

Whether Team Perry has thought it ALL through, who knows?

Last edited:
In fairness, Texas wildfires aren't much different than California earthquakes. They are natural disasters fueled by mother nature. There's only so much that can be done to deal with them when they strike.

Would you pay $40 more to spend 10 minutes preparing your taxes vs. 2 hours? I would. So would a lot of people. Simpler tax returns mean less necessity to audit, thus fewer people employed.

Not me PERSONALLY cutting IRS expenses.. the government cutting IRS expenses.. if you still have to support the 'old' way, you're not gonna cut shit in operating expenses

Thats pretty obvious. Besides if 47% are paying no income tax yet filing; I'm guessing they may spend a Saturday morning filing their taxes early in the year; hardly a close call between paying $40 for some reason and filing the form electronically as they always have since 2000 or so.

So 47% of tax filers file electronically on Saturday morning? Do you have any proof or are you just pulling this out of your ass? Like you always do.
Is there some other reason that there is an H&R Block or other tax prep service on damn near every block?
You fail.

I think Rick Perry is the best candidate the GOP has. He might be the best candidate out there period. We'll see just how poorly he does in the primaries. His fate rests with the voters, not with the Wookie-Suiters on this forum.

He's done.

He's Texas Toast...:lol::lol:

He's crashed and burned, 6% in the polls and even Ron Paul has him licked. To go from 38% approval and fall off of a cliff to 6% I don't think he can get it back, I think people have made up their minds about him and they are not going to change it. I think a lot of it was his stance on illegal immigration , but then too, people saw that he can't do well in a debate, he has lost every one of them.

Last edited:
Rabbi we get it: you're in love with Rick Perry. He wont win the nomination-and he wont become the president. Get over it.

I think Rick Perry is the best candidate the GOP has. He might be the best candidate out there period. We'll see just how poorly he does in the primaries. His fate rests with the voters, not with the Wookie-Suiters on this forum.

Did he ever get the fires put out? I'm just asking.

Ditto what Liability said.
And no, you are not "just asking."

He's done.

He's Texas Toast...:lol::lol:

He's crashed and burned, 6% in the polls and even Ron Paul has him licked. To go from 38% approval and fall off of a cliff to 6% I don't think he can get it back, I think people have made up their minds about him and they are not going to change it. I think a lot of it was his stance on illegal immigration , but then too, people saw that he can't do well in a debate, he has lost every one of them.

It's 11.6 and Paul is running at 8.4. Romney, the great front runner is running at under 25%.
But dont let facts confuse you.
RealClearPolitics - Election 2012 - 2012 Republican Presidential Nomination

The notion that it can be imposed in a way that permits taxpayers to opt out of it in favor of the present disastrous tax code is dangerous. For once the Congress CAN levy a new tax, it will.

Like the 9-9-9 plan, it probably needs to be fine tuned and have lots of potential kinks worked out.

but unlike the Flop-in-Chief, at least Gov. Perry and Mr. Cain HAVE come forward with plans that CAN be subject to modification and fine-tuning.

If it comes down to a debate BETWEEN the 9-9-9 plan and the 20% Flat tax, we could all win. THAT'S the realm where we want the choices to be.

I wish Perry could grunt out a coherent and consistent message. But like Mr. Cain, even with his warts, he is VASTLY superior to the present infestation in the Oval Orifice.

We don't agree on much politically but I admire the way you make your case most of the time.

So here it goes.

Twenty Percent. 2-0.

Do you think that Perry put any thought into it at all? I mean...20. An even number.
It would seem to me that unless there was some sort of fluke that having a perfectly rounded number where the government would only need precisely 20% is more of a slogan than any sort of product/dividend of a mathematical equation.

Cain's 9-9-9 plan, at least, has the aura of being an odd number as to where it at least appears that there was some math behind it.

So, do you think the magical 20% figure was arrived at or was decided before hand. It sounds high to me, by the way. One dollar in every five I earn goes to Uncle Sam before I pay a cent in State or Local income tax?

I don't now that Perry came up with that figure.

And when it comes to theoretical proposed flat tax systems, I doubt the purists would agree to that number under circumstances where people can "opt out" and use the present fiasco of a system.

And whatever some people call loopholes would have to get closed. Sadly, that would probably include deducting the interest costs for mortgages, so it would draw heavy opposition.

If you think about it, we taxpayers tend to pay a LOT more than 20% We pay maybe somewhere around 1/3rd to the Fed (give or take deductions and other such things). But then we pay STATE tax. And local taxes, like school district taxes, and sewer district taxes and so forth. THEN, of course, we pay sales taxes imposed by the Fed. Think gasoline. THEN we pay sales taxes on top of that for almost everything we buy (except, mercifully, groceries).

Folks have calculated this mess and come to the conclusion that we pay (on average) around 50% or more of every dollar we earn to TAXES.

The answer is that it is a silly question. Is there "marketing" involved in picking the number? Yes. Does anyone thing 9-9-9 just happened to work out that way?
When Putin was considering a flat tax he looked at other countries that had it. The lowest was 13%. His advisors told him about 14% would be right. He declared, No Russian willbe lowest, and it became 12%. It's worked, btw. There is much more money flowing to the treasury because the cost to avoid paying tax is pretty low.
Perry has very good advisors (Steve Forbes is one). The plan shows a huge amount of thought both politically and economically.

You mean, personally,

because you picture him as a fireman

or because elected State Governors are supposed to BE firemen?

The Elected State governors are supposed to allocate resources necessary to handle emergencies inside of their state's borders. He's had wildfires burning since January according to his own website.

So here it goes.

Twenty Percent. 2-0.

Thanks. Have a nice evening.

Not me PERSONALLY cutting IRS expenses.. the government cutting IRS expenses.. if you still have to support the 'old' way, you're not gonna cut shit in operating expenses

Thats pretty obvious. Besides if 47% are paying no income tax yet filing; I'm guessing they may spend a Saturday morning filing their taxes early in the year; hardly a close call between paying $40 for some reason and filing the form electronically as they always have since 2000 or so.

So 47% of tax filers file electronically on Saturday morning? Do you have any proof or are you just pulling this out of your ass? Like you always do.
Is there some other reason that there is an H&R Block or other tax prep service on damn near every block?
You fail.

Well, you of course are taking it too literal--being always in attack mode seems to have done that to your already too fragile mind.

If it is true that 47% of Americans pay no income tax, I was theorizing that it wouldn't take more than 1 Saturday morning to fill out a 1040EZ and send it in; they're not waiting for a bunch of 1099's or worrying about D forms. Thats all I was saying.

I don't have an H&R Block anywhere near me as far as I know; never needed one.

Take some prozac and lay down bitch.

So, by your non-response, I'm guessing he hasn't figured out a way to put out a fire yet. Well, it's only been like 11 months. I'm sure he'll get it licked sometime around 2014.

Incredible.

So here it goes.

Twenty Percent. 2-0.

The answer is that it is a silly question. Is there "marketing" involved in picking the number? Yes. Does anyone thing 9-9-9 just happened to work out that way?
When Putin was considering a flat tax he looked at other countries that had it. The lowest was 13%. His advisors told him about 14% would be right. He declared, No Russian willbe lowest, and it became 12%. It's worked, btw. There is much more money flowing to the treasury because the cost to avoid paying tax is pretty low.
Perry has very good advisors (Steve Forbes is one). The plan shows a huge amount of thought both politically and economically.

Glad your boy finally came up with a slogan. Now only if he had a plan.

You fail.

Well, you of course are taking it too literal--being always in attack mode seems to have done that to your already too fragile mind.

If it is true that 47% of Americans pay no income tax, I was theorizing that it wouldn't take more than 1 Saturday morning to fill out a 1040EZ and send it in; they're not waiting for a bunch of 1099's or worrying about D forms. Thats all I was saying.

IOW you were talking out your azz.
And I am not your bitch.

So, by your non-response, I'm guessing he hasn't figured out a way to put out a fire yet. Well, it's only been like 11 months. I'm sure he'll get it licked sometime around 2014.

Incredible.

I hadnt realized "professional fire fighter" was a qualification for governor.
How long did it take Obama to plug the hole?

Glad your boy finally came up with a slogan. Now only if he had a plan.

At over 60 he is not a "boy".
His slogan is "Let's get America working again."
This is a plan.
What is Obama's plan? Oh yeah, blame others. What is the Democrats' plan? Plan? They haven't passed a budget in years. They don' need no stinkin plan.

Perry detailed his tax and economic plan in todays WSJ. It is an excellent plan. I am sure someone will find something to carp over, but really there is nothing. It is much stronger than Cain's 9-9-9 plan. And Perry was right when he said "Brother, I'll put my plan up against yours any day."
Rick Perry: My Tax and Spending Reform Plan - WSJ.com
This simple 20% flat tax will allow Americans to file their taxes on a postcard, saving up to $483 billion in compliance costs. By eliminating the dozens of carve-outs that make the current code so incomprehensible, we will renew incentives for entrepreneurial risk-taking and investment that creates jobs, inspires Americans to work hard and forms the foundation of a strong economy. My plan also abolishes the death tax once and for all, providing needed certainty to American family farms and small businesses.
More at the source.
And I'll take odds some people responding will not have read the article.

So working folks pay more, and rich people pay less.

This is a good plan, why again?

Perry detailed his tax and economic plan in todays WSJ. It is an excellent plan. I am sure someone will find something to carp over, but really there is nothing. It is much stronger than Cain's 9-9-9 plan. And Perry was right when he said "Brother, I'll put my plan up against yours any day."
Rick Perry: My Tax and Spending Reform Plan - WSJ.com
This simple 20% flat tax will allow Americans to file their taxes on a postcard, saving up to $483 billion in compliance costs. By eliminating the dozens of carve-outs that make the current code so incomprehensible, we will renew incentives for entrepreneurial risk-taking and investment that creates jobs, inspires Americans to work hard and forms the foundation of a strong economy. My plan also abolishes the death tax once and for all, providing needed certainty to American family farms and small businesses.
More at the source.
And I'll take odds some people responding will not have read the article.

So working folks pay more, and rich people pay less.

This is a good plan, why again?

Equality.

Do you know what that word means?

Equality.

Do you know what that word means?

Yeah, that's when people are actually equal.

Which they aren't. So if you get more benefits, you should pay a higher price.

You see, this is why I think no one takes Republicans seriously. They talk all this fiscal responsiblity stuff, but then they come up with these whacky schemes to give more money to rich people.

You fail.

IOW you were talking out your azz.
And I am not your bitch.

Opinions vary.

Forum List

Back